Author Topic: I16 skin!  (Read 1860 times)

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
I16 skin!
« on: November 30, 2009, 03:43:19 PM »
Here's my I-16 skin I've been working on. I still have to do the panel lines but the coloring is pretty much done, It was in the 12th IAP in WW2.

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
I16 skin Update!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 06:22:54 PM »
Ok here it is with the panel lines and wear and tear marks.

So does this skin meet the qualifications (Does it look good enough)?

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
Re: I16 skin!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 06:40:52 PM »
Use the print screen function on your keyboard to take a screen sized picture, then put into a jpeg format, and attach it to the boards using the "additional options".  As far as your skin goes, to me the stars do not look uniform to me.  Try this website: http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/  ---> downloads and look for fonts, insignias.  They will make it slightly easier on you. 
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 07:05:46 PM »
has no detail

blah
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 07:20:55 PM »
Use the print screen function on your keyboard to take a screen sized picture, then put into a jpeg format, and attach it to the boards using the "additional options".  As far as your skin goes, to me the stars do not look uniform to me.  Try this website: http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/  ---> downloads and look for fonts, insignias.  They will make it slightly easier on you. 
Thanks for the site and yeah the stars aren't very good I'll try those from that website. :salute

has no detail

blah
Have some respect Citabria it's the first skin I've ever made and I'm not very good at art stuff.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 07:23:09 PM »
Have some respect Citabria it's the first skin I've ever made and I'm not very good at art stuff.

Artists don't demand respect - they deserve it.

If you think this is harsh, just imagine what its like to be Lindsay Lohan.

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 07:36:02 PM »
Use the print screen function on your keyboard to take a screen sized picture, then put into a jpeg format, and attach it to the boards using the "additional options". 

I am unable to open any of your skins.
the way he put it on the board is just fine.
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 08:13:06 PM »
I changed the stars up a bit do they look too big?

Offline Killer91

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 11:02:38 PM »
Stars may be just a bit to big but overall A+!
Not bad for a first skin. I say make more!!

And maybe someday one of em will get put in the MA :)

has no detail

blah

And how do you know if that fighter group had more detail than that?

someone named pervert is thanking someone named badboy for a enjoyable night?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 11:09:03 PM »
You need to develop an eye for accuracy... For example the star on one side of your fuselage was way too high, and the other side maybe too low.

One example is that you've added some details like panel lines and what looks like some paint chipping near the rivet lines, but on the other hand you've got no stains, leaks, from exhausts, oil, hydraulics, gun barrels, and so forth.

For the first issue, look at some reference photos. I wouldn't simply say "I made the stars bigger!" unless you looked at a reference or photo, and realized they were too small before. I would also suggest looking at the stars you have on your wings. They're not true stars (the angles are off, some thinner, some thicker, off-angle). If you're having troubles put a template layer underneath of some picture or something, and trace a new layer on top of that (to get the right size/angle/proportions).

For the second issue you'll need to experiment and see what you can pull off. Forum feedback will be VERY useful for your first few skins, and in fact most experienced skinners still look for forum feedback.

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 11:16:22 PM »
You need to develop an eye for accuracy... For example the star on one side of your fuselage was way too high, and the other side maybe too low.

One example is that you've added some details like panel lines and what looks like some paint chipping near the rivet lines, but on the other hand you've got no stains, leaks, from exhausts, oil, hydraulics, gun barrels, and so forth.

For the first issue, look at some reference photos. I wouldn't simply say "I made the stars bigger!" unless you looked at a reference or photo, and realized they were too small before. I would also suggest looking at the stars you have on your wings. They're not true stars (the angles are off, some thinner, some thicker, off-angle). If you're having troubles put a template layer underneath of some picture or something, and trace a new layer on top of that (to get the right size/angle/proportions).

For the second issue you'll need to experiment and see what you can pull off. Forum feedback will be VERY useful for your first few skins, and in fact most experienced skinners still look for forum feedback.
Thanks for the tips. You see I'm not much of an artist at all this is pretty easy for me because this squad just had green planes. I'm not good at the stars or rivet lines on the wings I just can't seem to figure out what color shade to use anyway here's an update picture.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 11:21:23 PM by bravoa8 »

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 11:45:48 PM »
Bravo, which editing program are you using? Follow Krustys tutorial, its a great starting point, and where it came together for me on how to approach a skin.  Then listen to the "useful" critism from people like cactus, plazrus, fencer, greebo, Krusty, ect ect.

For me it been a lot of trial and error, and a lot of good tips from other. The more different viewpoints you get and ideas from others will help get the ideas bouncing around in your head. I'll try to help you the best I can.  Good work and keep at it.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 11:58:16 PM »
Here's the problem: Your stars are still hand-drawn, and not "perfectly symmetrical" stars. They're also in the wrong places.

This is why you need to have some sort of reference point. You need something to work towards. Ideally that's real WW2 photos (if you can find 'em!) and/or technical drawings showing locations of national markings or panel lines, and so forth.

So, when checking what's wrong with your fuselage stars, you might compare them to the real deal here:

http://razorbackeaa.org/Airshow-Best-Pix/images/Polykarpov%20I-16%2001.jpg
http://www.air-and-space.com/20060612%20Camarillo/DSC_7463%20Polikarpov%20I-16%20Type%2024%20N30425%20left%20side%20l.jpg

And notice that they need to be in a certain spot on the fuselage. They also need to be in the same spot left and right (make them symmetrical on the skin).

Then, when comparing where your wing-stars go, you might look at some things like these to ensure you've got them placed/sized properly:

http://data.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle/polilatpov_i-16/polilatpov_i-16_2_of_6.jpg
http://www.letletlet-warplanes.com/wp-content/gallery/i-16-safonov-final/polikarpov-i-16-10.jpg

And note things like where the light blue stops and the camo starts, or the color of the exhausts, or the minor details you may want later.

I would suggest... for now... using the default skin to create your stars. Hide your other layers or put another copy of the default in a way so that it's UNDER your "stars" layer. Turn the opacity down on the stars layer, so that you can "see through" it halfway. Then use a line tool, selection lasso line tool, or whatever tool you're comfortable with to draw lines from the points to each other and fill it in afterwards with a paint bucket.

Then restore the opacity to 100%, and remove the extra layer you created (or un-hide the layers you hid so you could see the default again).

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 12:13:45 AM »

:rolleyes:
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 01:12:30 PM »

:rofl :lol :rofl

Ummm...WOW
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||