Author Topic: Beaufighter  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: Beaufighter
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 03:44:23 PM »
The Beaufighter, because rear visibility is for noobs.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 03:45:53 PM »
The Beaufighter, because rear visibility is for noobs.

Isn't it a "bomber"? 

F3?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 05:02:02 PM »
Nightfighter in its Mk.I and II (Merlin-powered) versions, fighter-bomber and anti-shipping strike fighter in later years - so no F3.

:cool:
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Online lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 08:43:56 PM »
Nightfighter in its Mk.I and II (Merlin-powered) versions, fighter-bomber and anti-shipping strike fighter in later years - so no F3.

:cool:
I am unable to link to another thread on this subject where I posted a picture from the pilots seat. F3 is just about a must when you look back. Also take into consideration that this aircraft will most likely be used in all arenas if we get a couple of models so how will you know if some one is behind you?

You can't see back at all. For your purpose based off your post it maybe valid in scenarios but it won't last 2 minutes in the main arena with out f3 mode.

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 04:31:02 PM »
Hi Mates
Realize that this subject has been batted arround quite a lot in the past.
Wonder if the AH folks ever plan to put out a Beau?
Certainly saw a lot more combat in WWII than the Brewster Buffalo.
As a low level, fighter bomber, driver.  Sure would be a nice plane to fly.
Cheers to all
Majors
249 RAF
Oldest Yank in the RAF

I'd perfer to see the Bristol Beaufort. ;)
But, the beaufighter would be nice as well, just so long as our early models get the issues the real ones did. :devil

The Bristol Taurus engines of the Beaufort were not powerful enough for a fighter and were replaced by the more powerful Bristol Hercules. The extra power presented problems with vibration; in the final design they were mounted on longer, more flexible struts, which stuck out from the front of the wings. This moved the centre of gravity (CoG) forward, a bad thing for an aircraft design.

In general, the differences between the Beaufort and Beaufighter were minor. The wings, control surfaces, retractable landing gear and aft section of the fuselage were identical to those of the Beaufort, while the wing centre section was similar apart from certain fittings. The bomb-bay was omitted, and four forward-firing 20 mm Hispano Mk III cannons were mounted in the lower fuselage area. These were initially fed from 60-round drums, requiring the radar operator to change the ammunition drums manually — an arduous and unpopular task, especially at night and while chasing a bomber.

By fighter standards, the Beaufighter Mk.I was rather heavy and slow. It had an all-up weight of 16,000 lb (7,000 kg) and a maximum speed of only 335 mph (540 km/h) at 16,800 ft (5,000 m).
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2009, 04:36:23 PM »
I'd love to see this ingame! +1

Offline Skulls22

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009, 03:25:12 PM »
I just want to know whit it isn't in the game! Really!
(In game Sparty)
R.I.P. SASFRAS, may you return some day soon
<S>

Offline Templar

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2009, 01:53:23 AM »
 +1......but only because the Beaufighter Mafia threatened to break my legs if I didn't vote for it!  :noid  :O  :lol
Muhahahahhaa

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2009, 02:09:49 AM »
I am unable to link to another thread on this subject where I posted a picture from the pilots seat. F3 is just about a must when you look back. Also take into consideration that this aircraft will most likely be used in all arenas if we get a couple of models so how will you know if some one is behind you?

You can't see back at all. For your purpose based off your post it maybe valid in scenarios but it won't last 2 minutes in the main arena with out f3 mode.

Sure it will :)

Might have to bounce to the navigator/observer station now and then, but no F3 please.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters