Author Topic: Whats the Best Joystick out there?  (Read 10175 times)

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Re: Whats the Best Joystick out there?
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2009, 01:25:59 PM »
Without your pic schematics I would be sending the Steak back to the manufacture.... :D  Thank You 4 your help.. :salute   Man this is the way to play ACES HIGH II :banana:

I still get a little shutter on my X & Y axes...is that normal? :huh

I'm not sure what you mean by "a little shutter".  Do you mean you notice something while you're flying?  Or that you see the numbers jumping around while your on the clipboard mapping screen?  If the numbers are jumping, I'd try calibrating first, but then would suspect the stick is wearing out, which they do. 

If the stick is wearing out, that's what i use the 2 Year Replacement plan for.  Honestly, the Saitek X52 is the only product I've found, ever, where the 2 Year Replacement plan is a good value.  I'm sure there are others, but I've never personally used it on anything else.  I'm on my 6th or 7th X52.  I paid for the first one, and I've paid to extend the 2 year plan a few times.

Another thing I like to do, is put the little CD case "washer" above the spring, to tighten the stick up a bit.  I found out how to do that through youtube.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline stran

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2009, 01:28:49 PM »
in the Down Forward view of the cockpit, i have noticed my graphical joystick oscillating slightly when there is pressure in any of the axis(not dead center). maneuvering and gunnery still seems smooth.
i know it is the hardware. does anybody else see this in their joystick?
Squash

Offline Damionte

• Copper Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cthunder16
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2010, 07:20:57 PM »
I enjoy the versatility of the X52, but I've had a lot of durability problems with them. I've burned through 4 of them in 4 years time. 2 Of which I had to pay for. Also I'm not really keen on the light touch to the X52 stick. It's a little too light.

Currently using the X52 throttle with a logitech XTreme 3D pro stick. The logitech stick has a good feel and a decent amount of buttons but not enough to really substitute for the X52 stick.

It's still preferable though to purchasing another X52.

Though if money were not an option I'd just get another saitek.
Drackson

Allied Commander: AvA / Campaign Series: North Africa / Italy

Offline Demetrious

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2010, 12:44:17 AM »
Logitech 3D was the worst stick I ever had for a flight sim, so anything you get will be a step up. I recommend not to touch anything from Logitech. CH stuff is probably the best but I am not sure it is worth the price. Saitek is much lower quality than CH, but also much cheaper and gives better value for money - I had only 1 Saitek stick very long ago, so my experience with them is limited. It was good until it crocked 6 months later.

It's odd so many people are reporting issues with the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. I picked one up on sale at the local Wal-Mart a few years ago and it's served me through many flight hours with nary a qualm. I've never found the number of buttons lacking, even when playing IL-2 (which has rather more "critical" functions to map, with complex engine management.)

In my experience Logitech equipment is nigh bulletproof. My Logitech wireless laser mouse has been dropped on a hard tile floor about once a month like clockwork since I got it, and it still functions flawlessly. Perhaps you guys just yank your sticks a little too hard :D

Offline papjohns

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2010, 10:36:44 AM »
Got a G940 last week, love it. Worth every penny.
"CAN DO, SIR! "The difficult we do immediately; the impossible takes a little longer."

Army of Muppets

Offline Nisky

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2010, 11:58:12 PM »
After 5 yrs of playing I've only ever used the Saitek ST290 pro after about 3 yrs the hat switch started to go bad. So i went to wally world and bought another. Total money spent 40$. If we talk about headset that's another story destroyed 3 or 4 sets.
just talk about random stuff but please stay on topic

Recently Touched By The Noodle! ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!
Pastafarian for life

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2010, 06:29:04 AM »
Another fan of the X-52. Two and a half years on mine with a respite for about three months.  Never a problem.  I do not blame my lack of ability on the X-52.  Although it has a twisty function, that can be disabled.  I did just that when I added Saitek pedals last spring.  While CH seems to have a large fan base here, I just couldn't justify the price of the full set - and with CH you HAVE to get pedals at the start, unless you're adept at using the keyboard for rudder control.  I did try CH once and found it too large for my hand - the X-52 is adjustable.  I'm not sure if, with practice, I might have gotten past that.  I can't say which is better, just that I bought the Saitek because of its price point and have been happy with it ever since.

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2010, 10:18:59 AM »
I have this old Saitek Cyborg Graphite. Nifty little thing, my brother gave it to me. Its probably in excess of 7 years old, and the only broken parts are the hat switch and the main trigger. Otherwise, it does its job  :aok
thats not a twisty, im using one do you manuely move your rudder?

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2010, 02:14:24 PM »
I think the best stick is the one that suits your needs. Ive used just about everything besides logitechs sticks. There are definately sticks out there with a higher price tag, and longer life spans.

But, try out different sticks find what suits and works best for you. There are quite a few good players out there that dont even use joysticks, so I think it really all boils down to what works for you.

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2010, 05:05:14 PM »
Microsoft Precision Pro! I use the mouse in my left hand for throttle work and views (I use mouse look).

Of all the joysticks I've tried... I don't like the feel of the Saiteks. I like the smooth firm feel of the MS Pre Pro. Logitechs also have the right feel (as long as they're not Force Feedback) as does the one Thrustmaster I tried (T1600). Haven't tried CH sticks.

No comments on reliability. My MS stick is 10 years old and still strong. There are a few minor mechanical faults, but that's understandable given the amount of abuse I've put it through. Presumably, the Thrustmaster T1600 uses Hall Effect sensors, so it should be VERY reliable over the long haul.

If I ever get a new flight set, it will probably be the T1600 + mouse + CH rudder.
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2010, 05:47:42 PM »
If the stick is wearing out, that's what i use the 2 Year Replacement plan for.  Honestly, the Saitek X52 is the only product I've found, ever, where the 2 Year Replacement plan is a good value.  I'm sure there are others, but I've never personally used it on anything else.  I'm on my 6th or 7th X52.  I paid for the first one, and I've paid to extend the 2 year plan a few times.

Another thing I like to do, is put the little CD case "washer" above the spring, to tighten the stick up a bit.  I found out how to do that through youtube.

:O 6th or 7th joystick?? Did they just send you out a new stick? do you have to mail them the old one back?  :headscratch:

Few comments on the logitech sound familiar, its weird they make such rubbish sticks when they make arguable the best pound for pound mouse controllers?  :headscratch:

There are a few minor mechanical faults, but that's understandable given the amount of abuse I've put it through.

Dogg's thread might be of interest to you if you haven't already seen it.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,280432.0.html

This X52 owner always makes me lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cm7KhbKpfM

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2010, 12:23:42 AM »
Dogg's thread might be of interest to you if you haven't already seen it.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,280432.0.html
Just checked. Good link, but my problem is just a slightly loose stick in the roll and yaw (twist) axes. A small deadzone takes care of it.
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2010, 12:32:10 AM »
thats not a twisty, im using one do you manuely move your rudder?

Do note I did post that on Dec. 4th of last year.

I use my A and D keys for rudder, as well as my # pad for my views. It's not the best, but it works for me.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2010, 10:54:22 AM »

:aok    :joystick:

3 years of successful  :airplane: with it.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2010, 11:21:07 AM »
If you want a stick that looks cool and may or may not break on you within a year, go with an X52.  If you want a stick that will last forever, go with a CH Fighterstick.