Author Topic: Throttle vs RPM  (Read 824 times)

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
Throttle vs RPM
« on: November 29, 2009, 09:52:55 AM »
Hey guys.

I've always wondered, what's really happening when I reduce/add RPM?

Thanks in advance.
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF
http://dywizjon308.servegame.org

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept my faith"

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
Re: Throttle vs RPM
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 11:54:22 AM »
Well, the easy answer is that you're changing the pitch on your prop.  When prop pitch is increased (called coarse pitch) it takes a bigger "bite" of the air which increases the load causing it to slow down. The reverse happens when pitch is decreased (called fine pitch).  

AH lets you set a specific RPM that you want to to maintain and the prop governor will automaticially vary the pitch angle to maintain that RPM (within engine and airspeed limits of course).  Why would you do this?  There are two big reasons.  First, props are airfoils and, just like wings, they work most efficiently within a certain range of angles of attack.  The prop AoA is determined by pitch and airspeed.  Second, engines also have an optimum RPM and air/fuel mixture for producing power, minimizing fuel usage, and keeping operating temps low so you want to operate the engine at its best RPM for what you're doing.  The variable pitch prop lets you match optimum engine RPM and prop pitch for best performance whether it be power, fuel economy or engine life.  For instance, there is a combination of RPM and prop pitch which is best for climb and a different combination best for speed and still another for best range.

I mentioned above that "AH lets you set a specific RPM".  All AH aircraft use the same type of prop control called Constant Speed, i.e., it'll hold a specific RPM.  But, RL is a bit more complicated as all WWII aircraft did not have the same type of prop control, some were simply fixed pitch props with no controls at all.  Others had adjustable props which could be set by mechanics on the ground and some were adjustible airborne but the pilot was limited to setting a specific pitch vice RPM.  Others, particularly late war aircraft, had actual CS props.  HTC makes them all the same to simplify things for the pilot in the same way that we have automatic mixture, boost control, and fuel management.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 11:58:42 AM by Mace2004 »
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 11:57:27 AM »
So other than trying to save fuel or slow down for landings, when would you use it in AH?
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 12:01:21 PM »
So other than trying to save fuel or slow down for landings, when would you use it in AH?
There are really only two situations when you need to worry about it in AH.  The first is, as you mention, fuel economy for best range.  Pull up your clipboard and it will give you combinations of RPM and Manifold Pressure for best cruise.  The second is to reduce drag when gliding.  A windmilling prop is a big generator of drag.  This drag can be reduced quite a bit by reducing RPM and this will add to your engine out glide range.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 12:04:44 PM by Mace2004 »
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 05:26:12 AM »
I had thought your BZ would be influenced by how you adjust pitch throughout.

Infidelz.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 06:28:03 AM »
There are really only two situations when you need to worry about it in AH.  The first is, as you mention, fuel economy for best range.  Pull up your clipboard and it will give you combinations of RPM and Manifold Pressure for best cruise.  The second is to reduce drag when gliding.  A windmilling prop is a big generator of drag.  This drag can be reduced quite a bit by reducing RPM and this will add to your engine out glide range.

For anyone who didn't know, if you lose an engine with the 110, Mosquito, P-38, i.e. the multi-engine aircraft, the prop is automatically feathered for you.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 07:18:27 AM »
Wish we had adjustable props here or at lest let us pick at the hanger were we can set it in the air .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline 2ADoc

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 06:37:25 PM »
We do, it is the "+ or-" key on your keyboard.  since we are not having to pay for the gas in the game the only time that you really need it is if you are close on fuel, or if you loose an engine.  If you are close on fuel, pull your prop back, and it will slow you down but you can get more range out of it.  If you loose and engine, pull your prop all the way back and you will glide farther.
Takeoffs are optional, landings aren't
Vini Vedi Velcro
See Rule 4, 13, 14.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 03:49:18 AM »
In real life wouldn't it also affect torque effects caused by the prop spinning and pushing the air? If every action has an equal and opposite reaction, then having a courser pitch when power is applied from the engine should push more air, and thus cause more resistance against the prop causing more "pull" to one side by the prop, correct?

If this is the case, then you could roll faster at slow speeds by adjusting your prop, make it coarse and apply power, roll one direction, make the pitch fine, roll faster another direction.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline 2ADoc

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 05:33:10 PM »
THat is really not a factor.  In real life a pilot would not even think about something like that.  YOu always want to keep your Manifold pressure above or equal to your RPM.  If you have a very high manifold pressure and a low RPM it is extremely hard on the engine, and gears in the gearbox.  Due to the fact that the engines we play with here can develop enormous horse power, and are turbo charged, the turbo charger increases the manifold pressure in real flight if you did that it would most likely cause a catastrophic failure, somewhere in the cylinder heads, crank case or the gear reduction for the propeller. This is most likely not modeled into this game so you can try it, let me know what happens.  I had a friend a few years ago that was landing a Cessa 206 in Mexico with a set up like you described, high power setting and VERY low RPM and it blew the engine and he had to fly an engine down there and replace the engine in place.  All becuase it was too loud and it was quieter to run that way. 
Takeoffs are optional, landings aren't
Vini Vedi Velcro
See Rule 4, 13, 14.