Author Topic: Gunnery  (Read 2520 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Gunnery
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2009, 07:50:33 PM »
Gunnery was the most frustrating thing for me, and was part of what eventually made me move on from the game. Seemed that even though The Snail's charts said I was well above average, I'd only manage to convert 1/4 of my kill shot opportunities into dead planes.

Most players never can. Sometimes we tend to rate the "average" player higher than he actually is.
For example, I note a lot in discussions on CH200 and here on the board that many people seem to think a fighter K/D of 1.0 is average - in reality it's way above average. Most players are, forgive me: Only victims. In tour 118, the median K/D score was 0.84. Only one quarter of all players got a fighter K/D of 1.0 or better. More than half had less then 0.5!

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2009, 08:54:41 PM »
My gunnery is fine. Getting my crappy controller not to bounce the nose every 10 secs is another. I'll just have to shoot you on the up swing. :D
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2009, 10:14:32 AM »
WHY CANT I HIT PLANES ANYMORE?

Anyone else just having a bad streak in AH?

For me it's been worsening throughout the week.

For 3 days AH wouldnt start. Yesterday I seemed to forget everything I've learned about E management and ACM. Now I cant even hit the water anymore.

Im still just starting to come out of a pretty nasty funk that I've been in for over a month. Though I have a feeling that net lag may have some small part in it.
Its about the only way I can explain some of the misses I've had.
routine shots I'm taking that I've taken 1000 times before at the same speeds and angles using the same amount of lead I've used 1,000 times before and missing.
rounds falling behind planes at 200 out no matter how much lead I give.
Yet getting hit by an opponent at 1K out from guns whos rounds shouldnt even be able to travel that far let alone be able to go that far hitting a plane going well over 400 knots
Then combine that with just plain ol brain farts. Timing off, ACMs off , the planes seemingly sudden refusal to do your basic moves the way you want it to but you've done 1000 times before. And just plain getting careless can lead to a very frustrating experience.

Some advice. Try using different planes to find one thats working for you. At worst, you end up familiarizing or refamiliarizing yourself with other planes so you know how to best defeat them.
Do something different till you get your mojo back. GV. buff. whatever. sometimes a change of scenery can do wonders
Assume every opponent is the best in the game and fly that way. Never underestimate your opponent as thats when you usually come across one of the better ones.

The best and hardest advise to follow of all. Be patient and ride it out till it gets better for you again.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2009, 10:23:31 AM »
Did anyone else have trouble hitting with the 47M last tour?  I had a serious case of rubber bullet syndrome - but only in that plane. 
I would make pass after pass at buffs from point blank and come up empty.  Never had this happen before.  All my convergences are set to 200. 
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2009, 12:17:47 PM »
Did anyone else have trouble hitting with the 47M last tour?  I had a serious case of rubber bullet syndrome - but only in that plane. 
I would make pass after pass at buffs from point blank and come up empty.  Never had this happen before.  All my convergences are set to 200. 

I'm generally able to hit P-47s as they run through.  :P

Actually I have never worried about hit percent. I squeeze off rounds at trees and barns..... houses just messing around. Never thought much of it. I do this sometimes just messing around and sometimes noting where the sprite is in comparison to where I was aiming.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2009, 12:59:31 PM »
Did anyone else have trouble hitting with the 47M last tour?  

Nope.

However, I go through nights where I can't seem to hit a thing. I remember them well because my squadies laugh at me in derision.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 02:30:30 PM by Steve »
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2009, 01:05:06 PM »

200 is way too short for attacking buffs at any speed.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2009, 03:06:36 PM »
here is a perfect example of crappy gunnery.

i expected the badguys up hi. found this zeek down low. i throttled back, shallow dive to his 6 low, since no one ever looks there, kept throttled at idle, and in shallow climb, came to the position you see in the pic. i was only 350 behind him. he had no clue i was there. flying straight n level in that dam zeek, and i friggin MISSED with almost 3 second burst.
 when he finally turned, i tagged him, but by then, there was a high corsair and spit comin.

later, when they broke off to go pork the base, i got a proxie on the spit, then did this to the zeek.

he was pulling hard, and i had one chance to get inside of his turn before the corsair above and behind would have a chance to saddle up. no real time to take my time, and i friggin light him up like a roman candle.

i really don't understand it though. when given time to aim...such as in the first pic, or just chasing a runner, i can't hit diddly.......no real time to aim, and i tear the dude up.  :headscratch:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline HighGTrn

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2009, 03:50:31 PM »
What I've noticed lately is lag which cause me to fire rubber bullets.  Was really bad after the FSO on Friday.  I was shooting where I normally would shoot and get nothing at all.  On shots that I did get kills, I was surprised when I found out I hit him.  Heck, it was so bad that after I shot someone, I would fly by see his plane turn and then a second later get the BOOM! "You shot down...."
in game call sign: S1n1ster

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2009, 04:23:08 PM »
200 is way too short for attacking buffs at any speed.

Yeah, not the optimum convergence for buffs.  I don't like changing it because I know I'll forget to change it back and will be lobbing 50s over a plane 200 off my 12.  :mad:
Don't have a problem with the D11 or D25.  Maybe it's operator error due to the increased closure rate of the M jug.  I like the older models better anyway.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2009, 05:26:47 PM »

i really don't understand it though. when given time to aim...such as in the first pic, or just chasing a runner, i can't hit diddly.......no real time to aim, and i tear the dude up.  :headscratch:

This one is easy to answer.
When you have time to aim, your thinking too much
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2009, 05:52:45 PM »
Silat hit a B24 4 times with the 40 from a 163. No damage at all.

Folks I'm hearing problems from are pointing at the change concerning kills.
I shot a few rounds of 50s into a spit today and pulled off. I saw another friendly blow his wing off... I got the kill. That makes no sense.
Based on that I suggest folks just shoot each bird a few times to save ammo. Let someone else destroy the con.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2009, 12:29:16 AM »
Silat hit a B24 4 times with the 40 from a 163. No damage at all.

Folks I'm hearing problems from are pointing at the change concerning kills.
I shot a few rounds of 50s into a spit today and pulled off. I saw another friendly blow his wing off... I got the kill. That makes no sense.
Based on that I suggest folks just shoot each bird a few times to save ammo. Let someone else destroy the con.

I'm not sure that there's a problem.  Haven't seen anything out of the ordinary.  A few planes I've shot down low and got nothing, no kill no assist - but each time I went back and checked the film and the lucky bastige got a ditch each time.  So no problem there. 

In this case I'd imagine the spit was soft.  Pilot A shoots up the spit, then gets killed.  Shuffler comes along, shoots the spit, then pilot C finishes him off.  Spit was just about to pop when pilot C got his wing, so Shuff did the most damage and so is awarded the kill.

Something like that?
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline stran

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2009, 01:38:59 AM »
i don't think 200 is necessary for anything with 6x 50cal or larger. at that range the dispersion or spread of the gun isn't as big and the target is larger which equals more hits. especially with cannons or a jugs 8x 50cals can be set out at 400 and still maintain great effectiveness inside 400.
now if you set your 8x 50cals at 200 then your 400yd shot will not do much at all.

when i fly the ki84 i set the cannons and mgs at 325 and 400 and fire them at their respective range. i only fire all guns when it's a sure shot.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 01:43:50 AM by stran »
Squash

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2009, 04:25:43 AM »
What I've noticed lately is lag which cause me to fire rubber bullets ... I was shooting where I normally would shoot and get nothing at all.

I had this badly after the 2.17 release, no longer a problem after the patches, but it was terrible.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli