Author Topic: win xp compatibility mode  (Read 402 times)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
win xp compatibility mode
« on: December 06, 2009, 12:32:12 AM »
I thought I remember  reading something about no longer needing to run AH in this mode? 

I have recently upgraded to win 7 64 bit and Have been experiencing random lockups twice needing a hard reboot.  It makes a funky little grinding noise then the screen freezes.  After ruling out the gfx card drivers.  I tried disabling my sound card as it was the only thing that the operating system didn't install from default.   

Now using the onboard sound chip it did it again but not as severe.  I was able to get alt tabbed and use task manager to close AH.  My next guess is trying to run in compatibility mode. 

I can rule out hardware issues as my PC has run AH great for the last 3 years.  ideas?
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
Re: win xp compatibility mode
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 12:41:54 AM »
With AMD CPUs, I'd guess just leave compatibility mode on, I turned it off, and now the game randomly crashes every now and then.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 12:44:56 AM »
have got a E6600 i'll post a dxdiag if i can't fix it.   

Going to try re-installing the game clean without copying anything into it....;.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 12:50:37 AM »
That didn't help me one bit,only time I needed to reinstall was after they changed the file location.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 06:26:37 AM »
AMD multi-core CPU's are the only ones with known issues.  The work-around AMD suggested for the problems works for many, but not for all.  It has to do with the mask of the CPU (i.e. version).

The game has grown more dependent on multi-core CPU's (two cores is all that is needed), so it is always best if you can run without the "compatibility fix".

Now, some laptop manufacturers have taken some short-cuts in their implementations of both the Intel and AMD multi-core CPU's which cause both to suffer problems, which require the "compatibility fix", but that is not a CPU design issue.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 06:28:47 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 09:04:12 AM »
AMD multi-core CPU's are the only ones with known issues.  The work-around AMD suggested for the problems works for many, but not for all.  It has to do with the mask of the CPU (i.e. version).

The game has grown more dependent on multi-core CPU's (two cores is all that is needed), so it is always best if you can run without the "compatibility fix".

Now, some laptop manufacturers have taken some short-cuts in their implementations of both the Intel and AMD multi-core CPU's which cause both to suffer problems, which require the "compatibility fix", but that is not a CPU design issue.

i need to spend a little more time online playing to see if it doesn't randomly lockup again.  Hasn't done so in xp mode so far  :headscratch:
The Few ***
F.P.H