Author Topic: Puff ack  (Read 1027 times)

Offline TEXICAN

• Copper Member
Re: Puff ack
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2009, 01:42:44 PM »
+1 Puff Ack needs to be fixed.
If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics suck!

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2009, 04:07:39 PM »
Late last night on Orange the bishops had a cv parked off one of their bases. It was popping us when we were in fights near their base, honestly is that CV doing what one is actually designed for? It is suppose to help give air presence in places where you dont have an airfield, not be used for AAA over an airfield..... :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2009, 04:50:45 PM »
I wonder what the actual percentages are for each puffy ack series of bursts to hit your airplane?  The way it is coded with the 'box', you'd probably have to do a test with a high number of trials to figure out what the actual percentage chance of a fighter getting hit is.  I'd say from experience, slightly biased, it is probably between a 15-20% chance to get blasted on any 2 second burst.

Say every 5 seconds, you have a 15-20% chance to get damaged.  If you're in the ack for 30 seconds, you have to avoid ~6 bursts of puffy ack that each have a 15-20% of hitting you.  My probability skills are a little rusty, but from my calculations, you'll be damaged ~62%-74% of the time based on the 15%min & 20%max guesstimates.  

As for bomber formations, the puffy ack does nothing to deter a successful pass on the carrier.  For one, bombers are very durable.  They can usually take a number of puffy ack blasts before going down or being damaged in any crippling way.  For two, you have 3 durable bombers to work with.  The puffy ack stands no chance in stopping the actual threat on the carrier.

So the real question is, what is the puffy ack intended to do for gameplay?  What is its purpose?  From the information at hand, the only real answer of what it DOES do, is keep the defenders under 3k.  If you go above 3k for >30 seconds you have at least a 60% chance of getting seriously damaged.  The only option for a defender is to stay below 3k.  The attackers have the ability to climb to 6-7k and pick at their leisure with no recourse from the defenders.  The only viable solution for the defenders is to destroy the carrier via suicide B25H, 110 attacks, and up bombers from bases afar.  You have to destroy the carrier because the fight is so lop sided.  It's a complete burden to fight with a carrier nearby.  Not to mention a good gunning 5 incher who will blast anyone out of the sky getting anywhere considered close to the task group.

HiTech, is this what you intend to be happening between carrier/land fights?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2009, 05:32:35 PM »
I wonder what the actual percentages are for each puffy ack series of bursts to hit your airplane?  The way it is coded with the 'box', you'd probably have to do a test with a high number of trials to figure out what the actual percentage chance of a fighter getting hit is.  I'd say from experience, slightly biased, it is probably between a 15-20% chance to get blasted on any 2 second burst.

Say every 5 seconds, you have a 15-20% chance to get damaged.  If you're in the ack for 30 seconds, you have to avoid ~6 bursts of puffy ack that each have a 15-20% of hitting you.  My probability skills are a little rusty, but from my calculations, you'll be damaged ~62%-74% of the time based on the 15%min & 20%max guesstimates. 

As for bomber formations, the puffy ack does nothing to deter a successful pass on the carrier.  For one, bombers are very durable.  They can usually take a number of puffy ack blasts before going down or being damaged in any crippling way.  For two, you have 3 durable bombers to work with.  The puffy ack stands no chance in stopping the actual threat on the carrier.

So the real question is, what is the puffy ack intended to do for gameplay?  What is its purpose?  From the information at hand, the only real answer of what it DOES do, is keep the defenders under 3k.  If you go above 3k for >30 seconds you have at least a 60% chance of getting seriously damaged.  The only option for a defender is to stay below 3k.  The attackers have the ability to climb to 6-7k and pick at their leisure with no recourse from the defenders.  The only viable solution for the defenders is to destroy the carrier via suicide B25H, 110 attacks, and up bombers from bases afar.  You have to destroy the carrier because the fight is so lop sided.  It's a complete burden to fight with a carrier nearby.  Not to mention a good gunning 5 incher who will blast anyone out of the sky getting anywhere considered close to the task group.

HiTech, is this what you intend to be happening between carrier/land fights?

This is from experience, i always use b26's full speed against cv at an alt of 5 to 6k max.  puffy ack will hit around my buffs for perhaps 10 seconds max before I drop my eggs.  about 95% of the time, i get no damage, however once i drop the eggs, if i keep going streight and level i'll be lucky if one of my buffs survives.  if I turn and keep changing alt my buffs will survive with slight damage 80% of the time.  I should mention that I always turn either right or left at a 90 degree angle away from the cv and dive to below 3k as soon as I go past the cv.  the puffy ack will harrass my buffs for about 20-30 seconds total. not a biggie, its kindda fun.

HOWEVER,

if I am in a fighter and move above 3k I'll be ded within 3 to 5 seconds, it never fails  :D.

Puffy ack is the great equilizer on the cv to avoid vulching.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2009, 05:59:15 PM »
if I am in a fighter and move above 3k I'll be ded within 3 to 5 seconds, it never fails  :D.

How is HTC supposed to take anything we say seriously when you make absurd claims like this?  This is over embellished ^ 10.

Puffy ack is the great equilizer on the cv to avoid vulching.

The puffy ack has NOTHING to do with cv vulching.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2009, 06:14:40 PM »
Grizz, in my experiences, the bombers above the carrier hardly get hit by puffy ack, and when they do its only minor damage such as an oil leak. I've never seen puffy ack take out anything other than a fighter / attack aircraft.

The puffy ack adds nothing to game play, only deters.  It kills fighters, friendlies, and only lightly damages bombers, the actual threat.  The entire thing should be removed, it's pointless, all it does is piss everybody off.

I agree with this statement.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2009, 06:21:01 PM »
Grizz, in my experiences, the bombers above the carrier hardly get hit by puffy ack, and when they do its only minor damage such as an oil leak. I've never seen puffy ack take out anything other than a fighter / attack aircraft.

No, bombers will get hit more often than fighters.  The puffy ack code creates a certain sized box of fire around the target.  With 3 large bombers contained within this box, the chance of getting hit by the puffy ack is greater than 3 times the chance of it hitting a fighter.  The key difference is that bombers are so durable they can shake off puffy ack damage whereas fighters cannot.  This key point is why puffy ack doesn't affect a formation of bombers the way it affects fighters.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2009, 06:22:09 PM »
An easy solution to this would be to make puffy ack work both ways, i.e. it can damage friendly aircraft as well.  I dont recall any film reels from WWII where you had frinedly aricraft flying in the ack from the carrier group.  The CAP was well beyond the range of ack and the ack was actually a last resort.  I think it would be a good if you had to think twice about running into the ack of a carrier group.  Then again I can hear all the complaining now.

BigKev
There is one famous reel showing a US fighter ramming an enemy plane right on top of a fleet it shows both planes going down with puffy hitting both as they drop. The US pilot bails out.

Offline BigKev03

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2009, 07:39:37 PM »
There is one famous reel showing a US fighter ramming an enemy plane right on top of a fleet it shows both planes going down with puffy hitting both as they drop. The US pilot bails out.

WoW, I would like to see that film reel.  And the pilot bailed??????  He must have had balls of steel. 

BigKev

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2009, 08:24:31 PM »
WoW, I would like to see that film reel.  And the pilot bailed??????  He must have had balls of steel.  

BigKev
Yes he did while he is floating down puffy is going off around him the ships gunners did not know that this pilot just saved them on board. For that matter if I remember correctly the US Naval pilots dove right in no matter what they thought it was worth it, & the ships gunners could not tell who was friend or enemy in that situation they just shot at who was approaching.

I am sure it is on Youtube I just cant link to anything at present.