Author Topic: Changing how eny works  (Read 672 times)

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
Changing how eny works
« on: December 10, 2009, 01:56:57 PM »
I've been thinking about this for a while now, let me know what you guys think. What if airfields had limits on the total number of gvs/airplanes they have. That way, for example a small airfiled could only have 20 fighters up at one time or 20 bombers up, etc... Also, the number of hangers up would also have an effect on the planes available. Furthermore, if the planes available were sitting on the field, so that strafing runs on fields could be more realistic. Also, resupply trains/trucks would 'replenish' the supplies of aircraft, so that attacking them would have a greater impact on the overall game.

Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
Re: Changing how eny works
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 02:03:00 PM »
I like it, but then I am kind of a realism freak.

A lot of players are more "anything goes" and don't want to see any kind of limits.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 02:38:19 PM »
If it could be programmed properly I'd enjoy it. But like jimson said, the gamers wouldn't like it.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 02:49:07 PM »
Horrible idea for gameplay. Why? Because it would introduce the "resources" concept into a free-for all sandbox arena. For the first time the "stop wasting our resources!" screamers would be totally right - you are wasting resources. See a number dude upping the wrong plane in a critical moment and see him getting yelled at by other players that suddenly can't fly a fighter. Doesn't work in a unstructured arena without any chain of command, without one guy allocating those resources.

And no, it's not the "gamers" that wouldn't like it.
In my opinion it's the "gamers" dream. ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 03:15:58 PM »
LOL...then we have a different definition for "gamer"...I'm talking about the lancstukaspixteenponyfanbois. ..not the people who would like more realism in toonvile.

Maybe have a setup like this in the AvA if it could be programmed as a tuneable feature set.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 04:00:28 PM »
Horrible idea for gameplay. Why? Because it would introduce the "resources" concept into a free-for all sandbox arena. For the first time the "stop wasting our resources!" screamers would be totally right - you are wasting resources. See a number dude upping the wrong plane in a critical moment and see him getting yelled at by other players that suddenly can't fly a fighter. Doesn't work in a unstructured arena without any chain of command, without one guy allocating those resources.

Maybe I didn't explain it properly.. There would not be a finite number of airplanes at a base, but rather a finite number that could be upped at one time from a base. And that number decreases as the number of hangers decreases. This would spread the fight out across more area.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 04:02:41 PM by Ardy123 »
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 04:04:57 PM »
Maybe I didn't explain it properly.. There would not be a finite number of airplanes at a base, but rather a finite number that could be upped at one time. And that number decreases as the number of hangers decreases. This would spread the fight out across more area.

Still a finite number, still making planes "resources".

Also I do not see how this is a replacement for ENY. There is no handicap at all for being the outnumbering coutnry, yet the chances are good that a coutnry with considerable less bases will get further handicapped  by having even less planes at a given time (less bases, hangars down) I can't see how this is balancing, for the attacker is often able to converge from 2 or 3 bases onto the one he's trying to capture.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 04:10:15 PM »
Still a finite number, still making planes "resources".

Also I do not see how this is a replacement for ENY. There is no handicap at all for being the outnumbering coutnry, yet the chances are good that a coutnry with considerable less bases will get further handicapped  by having even less planes at a given time (less bases, hangars down) I can't see how this is balancing, for the attacker is often able to converge from 2 or 3 bases onto the one he's trying to capture.

Snailman,
you are correct it would not be a replacement for global eny but the goal is to balance out the fights better. As for " I can't see how this is balancing, for the attacker is often able to converge from 2 or 3 bases onto the one he's trying to capture." most are too lazy to do this and instead will have 2 or 3 parties attacking different bases. Also, if attackers were forced to up from neighboring bases, they would arrive at the destination at different times, thus softening the whole hording issue.

"yet the chances are good that a coutnry with considerable less bases will get further handicapped"
This is an issue I had not considered, This could be overcome by having a "multiplier" applied to each base so as the number of bases decreases, the number of planes that can be upped increases.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 04:15:24 PM by Ardy123 »
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 04:33:10 PM »
I've been thinking about this for a while now, let me know what you guys think. What if airfields had limits on the total number of gvs/airplanes they have. That way, for example a small airfiled could only have 20 fighters up at one time or 20 bombers up, etc... Also, the number of hangers up would also have an effect on the planes available. Furthermore, if the planes available were sitting on the field, so that strafing runs on fields could be more realistic. Also, resupply trains/trucks would 'replenish' the supplies of aircraft, so that attacking them would have a greater impact on the overall game.

Very similiar to the zone limit system in AW.  Only 20 'planes' were available at each field, so if 20 people upped from a base then anyone else that tried to take off would have to wait until someone in the 20 group crash or got shot down and opened up a slot.  If you were in the group of 20 and successfully landed, you could take off again without it counting against the zone limit.  That's how the zone limits worked in AW in a nutshell.  Just an observation...even with zone limit in place, it didn't stop whole sale mass hording gang bangs or make them a rare occurance..

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 03:38:44 PM »
Very similiar to the zone limit system in AW.  Only 20 'planes' were available at each field, so if 20 people upped from a base then anyone else that tried to take off would have to wait until someone in the 20 group crash or got shot down and opened up a slot.  If you were in the group of 20 and successfully landed, you could take off again without it counting against the zone limit.  That's how the zone limits worked in AW in a nutshell.  Just an observation...even with zone limit in place, it didn't stop whole sale mass hording gang bangs or make them a rare occurance..

ack-ack

oh thats too bad :(  any other ideas anyone?
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 06:02:26 PM »
oh thats too bad :(  any other ideas anyone?

yeah let this idea die.  we had it back in aw days, it just limits the number of defenders and would kill some horde missions and adds nothing to the game.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 08:25:38 PM »
oh thats too bad :(  any other ideas anyone?
Off the top of my head without thinking through the ramifications.

What if we made some bases more valuable than others? ie: heavy bombers can only up from large airfields.

Might create some ferocious battles for those particular bases.

Offline Sol75

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 08:46:44 PM »

What if we made some bases more valuable than others? ie: heavy bombers can only up from large airfields.

+1 I like this idea. 
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P Secret Association of P-38 Pile-its
In-Game as Castiel
Recently Touched By The Noodle! ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!
Pastafarian for life

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 08:58:12 PM »

I've always thought that the heavy bombers like the B-24, Lancasters, B-17s and the Ar 234 should only be available at large bases while the medium to light bombers would be available at the medium and small size bases.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 12:14:02 AM »
I've always thought that the heavy bombers like the B-24, Lancasters, B-17s and the Ar 234 should only be available at large bases while the medium to light bombers would be available at the medium and small size bases.
ack-ack

There's been a lot of complaints about noe hordes dumping bases, and moving on without even trying to defend them.

My thinking is, you're still gonna have that, but this way, a flashing large airfield should draw a hell of a lot of defenders quick.

Not only that, those same base droppers might be more compelled to defend their conquered territory from counter-attack.

Whaddya think Waystin?

Might this generate some of those fights you're looking for, or not?

Seriously, I'm half drunk right now and don't know if it's a good or stupid idea.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 12:22:41 AM by jimson »