Author Topic: Plane vs Plane Tactics (Matchups)  (Read 30305 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Plane vs Plane Tactics (Matchups)
« Reply #405 on: December 15, 2009, 06:17:16 PM »
Sigh.....

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #406 on: December 16, 2009, 08:01:24 AM »
The Corsair could get as slow as it wants but it's never going to be able to gain an angle on a Zeke in a luftberry turn fight at low speeds.  If the fight was a two circle high speed fight (above 300mph IAS) the Corsair might get a fleeting angle on the Zeke but as the speeds decrease, the pendulum swings in the Zekes favor the slower the luftberry turn fight gets.  I would imagine the same for the N1K2 in a flat luftberry turn fight, at medium to low speeds the odds favor the N1K2 with the odds swinging in the Corsair's favor at higher speeds.

I don't know where warphoenix gets the F4U-1D has the edge over the N1K2 in the guns area, the gun package on the N1K2 is better than the .50 cal package of the F4U-1D.

ack-ack

Yep, agreed and probably I should not have included the Zero in the question.  Kind of hard to put it in words.  What I am looking for is not equal speeds.  For example something like if the NIKI is at 200 to 250mph and the F4U at 250 to 300 then it will be able to get guns (even if it is for second) on the NIKI in a luftbery. 

The reason for the question is that I was able to do it all night in the AvA the other night and I did not expect it.  I was doing nothing special but pull on the stick while dropping flaps
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #407 on: December 16, 2009, 03:52:31 PM »
Yep, agreed and probably I should not have included the Zero in the question.  Kind of hard to put it in words.  What I am looking for is not equal speeds.  For example something like if the NIKI is at 200 to 250mph and the F4U at 250 to 300 then it will be able to get guns (even if it is for second) on the NIKI in a luftbery. 

The reason for the question is that I was able to do it all night in the AvA the other night and I did not expect it.  I was doing nothing special but pull on the stick while dropping flaps

You would had to be at 240 or less in the F4U to get the flaps out.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #408 on: December 16, 2009, 04:01:34 PM »
You would had to be at 240 or less in the F4U to get the flaps out.

Cool, so how fast or slow would a NIKI need to be with me doing 240 (and slowing as I pull and drop flaps) in order to get guns on it?  In theory of course.  I don't know what the other guy was doing.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #409 on: December 16, 2009, 04:05:12 PM »
Cool, so how fast or slow would a NIKI need to be with me doing 240 (and slowing as I pull and drop flaps) in order to get guns on it?  In theory of course.  I don't know what the other guy was doing.

I saw the other guy..... he must have been looking into the sun... he was squinting.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #410 on: December 16, 2009, 04:10:01 PM »
I saw the other guy..... he must have been looking into the sun... he was squinting.

Don't you have to go calibrate a bombsite or something?

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #411 on: December 16, 2009, 04:14:46 PM »

Bear in mind I'm still on my learner's permit in the F4U...but my experience it's possible if the Corsair is within X* degrees of the Niki when the Lufbery starts and the fight is under 240.  The F4U can get the flaps out quickly and its smaller circle is able to generate lead and a shot on the Niki.  You better make that shot though as  the flaps are now killing the F4U's turn rate.  The shot window will close  - you're probably only going to get one shot - and then the Niki is going to come around the circle and kill you.

X* in this case being definitely less than 90 degrees, maybe even less than 45 degrees.  Hard to say.  If I'm the F4U I know it when it's possible, and if I get it wrong I'm in deep trouble.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #412 on: December 16, 2009, 04:15:47 PM »
Calibration is automatic on the B-38. All is handled with duct tape tensioning.

Here's a little tidbit for those interested.....

Do you know what Duct Tape and Dynomite have in common?

When you double them up they square in power.

1 stick of dynomite equivalent of 1 stick of dynomite
2 sticks equivalent of 4

1 strip of duct tape = 60 mph
2 strips = 240 mph
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #413 on: December 16, 2009, 04:33:43 PM »

2 sticks equivalent of 4

2 strips = 240 mph

Ahhh, Krusty is a math teacher in Texas?

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #414 on: December 16, 2009, 04:35:26 PM »
Bear in mind I'm still on my learner's permit in the F4U...but my experience it's possible if the Corsair is within X* degrees of the Niki when the Lufbery starts and the fight is under 240.  The F4U can get the flaps out quickly and its smaller circle is able to generate lead and a shot on the Niki.  You better make that shot though as  the flaps are now killing the F4U's turn rate.  The shot window will close  - you're probably only going to get one shot - and then the Niki is going to come around the circle and kill you.

X* in this case being definitely less than 90 degrees, maybe even less than 45 degrees.  Hard to say.  If I'm the F4U I know it when it's possible, and if I get it wrong I'm in deep trouble.

Sounds like I was just closing the distance because of speed and then pulling lead for a few seconds because of the flaps then?

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #415 on: December 16, 2009, 04:38:24 PM »
Bear in mind the niki can drop flaps @ 220kias so that "window" is indeed small.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #416 on: December 16, 2009, 04:44:11 PM »
Bear in mind the niki can drop flaps @ 220kias so that "window" is indeed small.

I think my advantage there is that once I commit to turning, i keep hitting the flaps button until I hear them deploy, so chances are I will drop them first

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #417 on: December 16, 2009, 04:49:21 PM »
I think my advantage there is that once I commit to turning, i keep hitting the flaps button until I hear them deploy, so chances are I will drop them first

I find myself in similiar situations against the better turning planes, though usually I can only stick with them for 2-3 turns max, anything after that and it's just a matter of time before they get around on my tail if the fight stays in a flat luftberry turn fight.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #418 on: December 16, 2009, 06:49:46 PM »

I find this is easiest to do if you convince the N1K to stay fast.  Make him think you want to get away, so he's in "gotta keep up" mode.  Then set him up for an overshoot.  You'll be slower than him, and easily turn inside him.  You'll be near your best turn rate, and he'll probably be above his...

Once you get behind him, kill him quick, or things will get nasty, and quick.  Pressure him enough to get him to squirm, and let him make a mistake or two.  As soon as you realize things are no longer going in your favor, you need to be ready to exit and reset.  Don't wait until you're obviously losing; that'll be too late.  As soon as you're no longer gaining, think "exit!"  I like to do that at a point in the fight where I'm nose down, and he's nose up.  That let's me get a bit of a head start to build speed.  It probably won't matter at that point though, he'll still probably catch you; which is exactly what you want.  Once again, you want him to think he needs to chase you down quickly before you get away.  Pull your overshoot move, and try to shoot him again...  Wash, rinse, repeat.

Here's a clip I posted in another thread-

http://www.4shared.com/file/173259319/6212f19a/DREDLOCK_190D9_BRD_and_RatCH_N.html
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #419 on: December 17, 2009, 08:15:51 AM »

2 sticks equivalent of 4

2 strips = 240 mph

Hey? Are you making fun of me?  ;)
Who is John Galt?