Author Topic: new system questions  (Read 955 times)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
new system questions
« on: December 09, 2009, 10:10:40 AM »
I decided to try building my 1st system.  :uhoh  Here's what I have:

CM Storm Scout case
Intel Core Duo E8400
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard
Mushkin PC2-8500 2x2gb memory
Corsair 750W power supply
Western Digital 320gb HD
EVGA 9800GTX+

1. I mistakenly bought Windows7 "for system builders", thinking: I'm building a system - that's for me  :rolleyes:
 Can I use that or do I need to send it back for the retail version?

2. I am not planning on overclocking anytime soon.
 Is the stock fan/heatsink that comes with the cpu OK?  Should I use Arctic Silver instead of the stock paste?

3. Will the 4gb of memory suffice or should I get more?  They should be the same specs and timing, I assume.

I have a Bluegears sound card from my current system that will be swapped over. 
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: new system questions
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 10:13:41 AM »
That looks good.
Yes you can use that Windows 7 copy.
Normally the stock HSF is good, I still use mine on my new build. I plan on OCing it to 3.0 or 3.2 and will probably grab a Thermalright 120 Extreme as a HS. If you have the extra change you might look into an OCZ Vendetta.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835202005&Tpk=ocz%20vendett
4GB is plenty for your common needs.
The board has onboard sound but if you have a SC that is fine. Gigabyte boards are great and I use the same one.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 10:16:46 AM by Spikes »
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 10:30:51 AM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146785

Never used Mushkin, but if this model, it looks good.  The rest of the parts look good too.  Case looks like a Tempest with a handle, interesting.

I always use Arctic Silver.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 10:33:04 AM »
Forgo the Scout Case and get the NZXT Tempest.   $20 more and twice the fans.  
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 10:34:29 AM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146785

Never used Mushkin, but if this model, it looks good.  The rest of the parts look good too.  Case looks like a Tempest with a handle, interesting.

I always use Arctic Silver.

I use this in my system.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146789   This memory kicks ass. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 10:44:00 AM »
Thanks guys.

The cpu comes set at 3.0 already.  I guess Intel wouldn't sell it with a fan that can't handle it.  Never hurts to check though.

Would it be fine to just go with the onboard sound then?  Could keep the soundcard with the old system that way.

That's the exact memory I bought, Dragon (the first one).  The case is really wild looking.  A bit of a step up from my 3 year old gateway.

The Tempest case has 6 fans?  Mine has two 140s and a 120 as well as the side has provisions for two more 120s. 
Seems like more than enough.  Not sending it back.  :P

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 10:47:20 AM »
Thanks guys.

The cpu comes set at 3.0 already.  I guess Intel wouldn't sell it with a fan that can't handle it.  Never hurts to check though.

Would it be fine to just go with the onboard sound then?  Could keep the soundcard with the old system that way.

That's the exact memory I bought, Dragon (the first one).  The case is really wild looking.  A bit of a step up from my 3 year old gateway.

The Tempest case has 6 fans?  Mine has two 140s and a 120 as well as the side has provisions for two more 120s. 
Seems like more than enough.  Not sending it back.  :P
Yes the Tempest has two 140mm top, two 120mm front, 1 120mm side, and 1 120mm back fan. My Lexa S has two 140mms and 3 120mms and it's super cool inside.

I never bothered with getting a SC for my system, but I (for the most part) use a headset. I have used speakers and it is fine, though.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 11:04:51 AM »
Would it be fine to just go with the onboard sound then?  Could keep the soundcard with the old system that way

According to what I've read, all on-board sound chips steal cycles from the main system CPU for some tasks.  YMMV

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 12:03:08 PM »
I use this in my system.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146789   This memory kicks ass. 

I mainly posted that model memory just to help him stay away from this one at the same price, but with the 6-6-6-6-18 timings.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226098
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 12:23:34 PM »
I mainly posted that model memory just to help him stay away from this one at the same price, but with the 6-6-6-6-18 timings.

I am getting the same stuff but 2x 1GB...for my grandpa for general purpose computing...whats bad about it?

FlyKommando.com

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 12:31:52 PM »
Answering a few of your questions here.  Yes you can use the OEM of anything, you just do not have any tech support.  Your the tech support for the OS.  If you can afford another 30 to 50 dollars look into a faster Video card.  The 9800 GTX+ is an outstanding card but you did not mention your budget.  If you can afford it upgrade, its worth it.

Fan for the CPU.  One of the fastest killers of systems is heat.  You do not have to Overclock your system to suffer from heat related failures on the CPU.  The stock fan will keep the processor in the mid to upper 40C to under full load 60C+, where as a good, not just any, but a good heat sink and fan will keep your system in the 20C to mid 40C full load.  If you keep your computer room at 70 to 74F you should not have heat problems and can stick with the stock HSF, if your higher esp in the warmer months get a "good" HSF. This all depends on ambient room temp and the airflow in and out of your case.  That is why others and I recommend the Tempest case.  It can not be beat by any current case on the market.  If you decide to get the Tempest get the Tempest EVO.  Yes guys the New case is out and cost the same monies as the Tempest.

4GB is good but more is better.  Make sure you purchase a 64bit OS and not x86.  You will make use of all your ram, system and video with a 64bit OS.

TD
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:33:31 PM by TilDeath »

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 12:32:06 PM »
Forgo the Scout Case and get the NZXT Tempest.   $20 more and twice the fans.    

Coolermaster makes a nice case, the one thing I don't like about that case is no built in fan control, thats a nice case there :aok
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 12:45:53 PM »

All good bro.   I'd recommend any High End Mushkin RAM.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 01:48:30 PM »
Answering a few of your questions here.  Yes you can use the OEM of anything, you just do not have any tech support.  Your the tech support for the OS.  If you can afford another 30 to 50 dollars look into a faster Video card.  The 9800 GTX+ is an outstanding card but you did not mention your budget.  If you can afford it upgrade, its worth it.

Fan for the CPU.  One of the fastest killers of systems is heat.  You do not have to Overclock your system to suffer from heat related failures on the CPU.  The stock fan will keep the processor in the mid to upper 40C to under full load 60C+, where as a good, not just any, but a good heat sink and fan will keep your system in the 20C to mid 40C full load.  If you keep your computer room at 70 to 74F you should not have heat problems and can stick with the stock HSF, if your higher esp in the warmer months get a "good" HSF. This all depends on ambient room temp and the airflow in and out of your case.  That is why others and I recommend the Tempest case.  It can not be beat by any current case on the market.  If you decide to get the Tempest get the Tempest EVO.  Yes guys the New case is out and cost the same monies as the Tempest.

4GB is good but more is better.  Make sure you purchase a 64bit OS and not x86.  You will make use of all your ram, system and video with a 64bit OS.

TD

Budget is an issue but I have some leeway.  All the parts are already here  (buy first - ask questions later  :D). 
I'll get an aftermarket cooler just in case.  Memory too.  I did get the 64 bit Windows7.  I was under the impression that the gpu was pretty kick bellybutton *
I really only play AH but do want everything maxed out.  My 9500GT on my old system was fine until I added a big monitor.
Then the frame rates took a nose dive.

* card specs:

core clock  675 MHZ
stream processors  128
memory clock 2200 MHZ
memory size 512 MB
memort type GDDR3
lifetime warranty

and the best part - it's certified for Windows Vista!

P.S.  What is bad about the 6-6-6-18 timing on the RAM?