Author Topic: 3D Glasses Anyone?  (Read 731 times)

Offline Arrow

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
3D Glasses Anyone?
« on: June 22, 2000, 09:45:00 AM »
Ok, I suppose I'll be the first to ask in this thread....

Has anyone been able to get your 3D Glasses to work past the Main Clip Board Screen?

I understand that the Z-Buffering portion of 1.03 is in beta, but here's the deal.

Back prior to v1.03, I tried to use the Glasses (Elsa Revelator IR) but would lock up once I tried to select either Off Line
Or On Line.  At the time, I didn't know that AH didn't support Z-Buff...  

Every time I went into AH, I had to first go to my video config and disable the Stereo Video options or my system would
lock hard when I tried to enter an arena.

Now, once v1.03 hit the street, I saw that the ZB was now supported and figured I'd giver a shot.  The main screen came
up fine and even in 3D. (good so far)...   I have the same problem though, my machine locks once I try to enter any arena,
on or off line.

--------------------
Win98_SE
Spacewalker AV61 w/Apollo Chipset
PIII 600
384MB PC100 RAM
Elsa ErasorX2 32MB DDR GeFrce256 Video
SBLive!
21" monitor with Refresh at 120hz
-----------------------

-Arrow

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
3D Glasses Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2000, 09:46:00 AM »
Does it lock up without the glasses?  With your regular monitor?

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
3D Glasses Anyone?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2000, 09:54:00 AM »
I have an Elsa Erazor 3 with the 3D revalator glasses too. I get the same thing with the lockups. Except I can't get anything that looks like 3d even in the main menu. These glasses will be returned to sender very quickly if this doesn't work soon.

By the way, what are your 3d setting??

Thanks F4UDOA

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
3D Glasses Anyone?
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2000, 10:18:00 AM »
F4udoa,
the prob is with AH not the glasses  
try them with jane's F18 or with USAF, its really cool!

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
3D Glasses Anyone?
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2000, 10:06:00 PM »
3d Glasses worked great for me. i flew an hour and got air sick.

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
3D Glasses Anyone?
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2000, 01:12:00 AM »
Heheh... Arrow you're not the first to bring up this thread  

Did a test with the glasses and reported in on the BB the first night 1.03 was out. With the same result as yours... I can't get beyound the menue screen. AH just locks up and I have to reboot!!

details see here

Nutz, what glasses, gfx-card and drivers are u using?

------------------
~Kirin~

JG2 "Richthofen"

"Ich bin immer nur die Messerschmitt 109 geflogen, aller Varianten angefangen von der G-6 bis hin zur K-14. Die Gustav war weitaus kraftvoller als die Friedrich, und hinzu kam die weitaus schwerere Bewaffnung. Die G-10 zum Beispiel hatte eine 30 mm Kanone mit absolut zerstörerirscher Wirkung. Sie war auch die schnellste aller G-Serien, mit einer exzellenten Steigrate, und war in sämtlichen Flugbereichen ausgezeichnet zu fliegen. Ich fühlte mich in meiner 'Beule' immer zuhause und Herr über alle Situationen."
Hauptmann Erich Hartmann, Gruppenkommandeur, I./JG 52, Russische Front, 1945
Real men fly Radial!

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
3D Glasses Anyone?
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2000, 08:08:00 AM »
Hey Guy's

I sent Elsa's tech support an email and this is what I got back.

Dear user

You may want to try uninstalling all your display drivers and REVELATOR drivers
and setting your display to standard VGA.  If you have any VIRUS protection
software you should remove this from your system and then after this is done
reinstall all your Display drivers and REVELATOR drivers.  This should work.

Best regards
ELSA TECH Support Staff

Right after I reformat my hard drive.
Hope that helps.

Later
F4UDOA

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
3D Glasses Anyone?
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2000, 08:26:00 AM »
I've never had these nor seen them in use. Any one got a minute and can just tell what these do? Is it like the ultimate 3D cockpit with moving your head and it's as if you're in the cockpit?

-Westy

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
3D Glasses Anyone?
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2000, 09:48:00 AM »
Westy: Nah, not much virtual reality cockpit here. The Revelator glasses are simple LCD shutter glasses which black out the picture for the left or right eye periodically. This shutting is syncronized with the display which shows a picture for the left or right angle of view. The driver does render a picture for each eye from a slightly different angle (e.g. our both eyes - stereoscopic vision). So when you look at the monitor without the glasses you will see double-picture. All you need is a screen that supports high refresh rates because its halfed in the rendering process. My screen does about 130 Hertz at 1024 so I get a *real* refresh rate of 75 Hertz which is fair enough.

---

Ok for the AH problem:

I did this procedure before when I tried to install the Detonator drivers. When I came back to ELSA drivers I first installed standard PCI VGA driver then ELSA drivers.

All other games (e.g. Gundship!) work fine; I can enter AH with Z-Buffer on - but if the stereo is enabled in dislplay settings I cannot get passed the menue screen. System locks and I have to reboot.

Real men fly Radial!

Offline Arrow

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
3D Glasses Anyone?
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2000, 10:45:00 AM »
--snip
what these do? Is it like the ultimate 3D cockpit with moving your head and it's as if you're in the cockpit?
-Westy

---

Westy, to expand on your question a bit....

Apart from all of the technical things that the glasses do, simply put, they give you depth in your monitor.  There are times when it's very very nice, and some times when it's not done so well.

One example of a superbly coded game is Need For Speed Porsche Unlimited!  UMG!  The fantastic graphics along with the Z-Buff code gives you a sense of damn near realisim!

On the other hand, it seems to me that some game coders cheat when it comes to 3D graphics.  In that I mean something like "The Moon" is a 2D flat object that is simply rendered onto your screen.  In most cases you wouldn't know this, but when you use the glasses it's rather apparent. Instead of The Moon being far off in the distance, it's sticking out in your face.

I can't comment on AH and their use of Z-Buffering yet, but I'm sure that it's done right from the very nature of the game.  

One last note.  While the glasses give you depth perception, it would be impossible to give you depth of field.  Until the technology exsists where your actual visual targeting (eye tracking) can be captured, there would be no logical way to correctly focus/blurr to the correct depth.

Kinda like when you focus on your thumb if you held it just in front of your face.  The background would be a blurr... you get the idea....

-Arrow

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
3D Glasses Anyone?
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2000, 11:46:00 AM »
Thanks Kirin and Arrow. I undertsand now. I'll have to get to a demo of them asap.

-Westy

Offline Hobo

• Zinc Member
3D Glasses Anyone?
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2000, 09:28:00 PM »
Then again you could get a nice fresnel lens and get a very slick "3d" depth perception on your monitor for about $40 US.

Hobo

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
3D Glasses Anyone?
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2000, 01:19:00 AM »
stop using me why the heck u need 4 eyes for huh?  I'll just mes it up

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
3D Glasses Anyone?
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2000, 03:48:00 AM »
s

------------------
StSanta
II/JG2

Offline crabofix

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
3D Glasses Anyone?
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2000, 06:10:00 AM »

LOOK WHAT I FOUND IN A DRAWER!!!

<holds up a pair of dusty 3d glasses for the asus 3800 ultra deluxe>

------------------

BORK,BORK,BORK!!!"
Crabofix <What happend?...:A stranger morgie turndee burndee ,flip flip flip flip flip flip>
Flygflottlj.19(Lento R5)"swedish Gladiators"