Author Topic: Preset Flaps  (Read 1177 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Preset Flaps
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 11:23:38 AM »
Not to hijack the topic, but IMO (and many others, from past discussions) tracers clutter the screen, confuse the "sight picture" and the newbie pilot spends more time looking at them and trying to read their depth on a 2D screen rather than setting up a "sight picture" they are comfortable with in the first place!
Having actually fired weapons that used a 1 in 5 tracer setup...I'm curious as to how tracers in AH do any of what you describe...that might have been what you experienced when you were a newbie but in reality...they actually assist in developing the ability to determine optimal firing distance and memorizing a good sight picture.

"Tracers work both ways." — U.S. Army Ordnance Manual

Another minor bone of contention I have... is that the flaps are pre-set in the bombers.  In the real world, the flaps would be retracted to their normal flight configuration (this being done to reduce the lifting vector on the wing due to winds).  Now I realize this is not a big issue once you get used to it, but it smacks of sloppiness.  I realize this is a game, but you should at least try to adhere to reality where possible and reasonable.
And 1Longbow...sorry but after reading your posts...  :rofl
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 11:30:47 AM »
Having actually fired weapons that used a 1 in 5 tracer setup...I'm curious as to how tracers in AH do any of what you describe...that might have been what you experienced when you were a newbie but in reality...they actually assist in developing the ability to determine optimal firing distance and memorizing a good sight picture.

In real life, perhaps. In 2d zoomed-in images you cannot tell what is falling "long" and what is falling "short" -- you just get white "smoke trails" all over your image, and if you try to figure out where in your 3D space the bullets are going in relation to the target you want to hit, you waste too much time trying to figure things out and blow your window of opportunity to kill said target.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 11:46:10 AM »
In real life, perhaps. In 2d zoomed-in images you cannot tell what is falling "long" and what is falling "short" -- you just get white "smoke trails" all over your image, and if you try to figure out where in your 3D space the bullets are going in relation to the target you want to hit, you waste too much time trying to figure things out and blow your window of opportunity to kill said target.
Sorry Krusty, it doesn't happen that way on my "2d zoomed-in image"...maybe that's why I didn't understand what you were saying about how tracers are detrimental...could be because I use short bursts...or because of my video settings...maybe it's just my system...I have never noticed the smoke or the larger pixels of the tracer rounds disrupting my view of what I'm shooting at.
jarhed  

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 12:49:34 PM »
... tracers clutter the screen, confuse the "sight picture" and the newbie pilot spends more time looking at them and trying to read their depth on a 2D screen rather than setting up a "sight picture" they are comfortable with in the first place!

yeah I found this, especially confusing on fighters with mixed guns like the spit if you fire all (I'm guessing most noobs do.) I found it best to alternate every coupla weeks between tracers on and off, although ive had them on for most of the last year. my gunnery seems to be getting worse tho so I might turn em off again for a bit.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 03:32:29 PM »
Sorry Krusty, it doesn't happen that way on my "2d zoomed-in image"...maybe that's why I didn't understand what you were saying about how tracers are detrimental...could be because I use short bursts...or because of my video settings...maybe it's just my system...I have never noticed the smoke or the larger pixels of the tracer rounds disrupting my view of what I'm shooting at.

I beg to differ... Your latest half dozen tours show a hit percentage ranging from (at best) 3% down to 1%.

I think it is greatly affecting your aim. Do you "walk" rounds to the target? Do you use the tracers to adjust aim, rather than looking at the target and putting the pipper where it needs to go?

Then it is, in fact, hindering your aim, making you a worse shot, IMO.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 03:42:43 PM »
I beg to differ... Your latest half dozen tours show a hit percentage ranging from (at best) 3% down to 1%.

I think it is greatly affecting your aim. Do you "walk" rounds to the target? Do you use the tracers to adjust aim, rather than looking at the target and putting the pipper where it needs to go?

Actually no Krusty...I've been making the mistake of using the 13mm and 7mm ammo in longer bursts and just frittering it away trying to help other people get kills...and I've been flying with no enemy icons trying to get used to the views, which is not always a good idea in the MAs but I'm doing it anyway...the only time I even look at the tracer sprites is when I fire cannon rounds...otherwise I focus on the shape of what I'm shooting at and jerking the stick too hard when a move is made...  :(
jarhed  

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 04:10:09 PM »
Even "wasting" ammo, the average to be considered "average" is around 5% hit rate. I spray with the best of them, and I'm around 6%. Depending on the planes I fly, I go up to 8-10%.

1% is absolutely abyssmally bad, no 2 ways about it.

P.S. have you tried no tracers in a serious attempt? Fly without them for 2-3 months of steady fighting. Your hit % will probably jump up to 3x what it is now.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 04:23:40 PM »

I use tracers to aim in WWI (as I use TrackIR so sights are unreliable, especially in my favorite aircraft, the Dr 1), and my hit rate was close to 10% the last time I checked. It's undoubtedly good for some people.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 04:23:52 PM »
P.S. have you tried no tracers in a serious attempt? Fly without them for 2-3 months of steady fighting. Your hit % will probably jump up to 3x what it is now.
I will indeed try not using them for the rest of this month and possibly next month...I'm a bad shot anyway, couldn't hurt.  :salute
jarhed  

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 04:52:51 AM »
Even "wasting" ammo, the average to be considered "average" is around 5% hit rate. I spray with the best of them, and I'm around 6%. Depending on the planes I fly, I go up to 8-10%.

1% is absolutely abyssmally bad, no 2 ways about it.

I have tried no tracers and my Hit% steadily goes down hill. Turn them on and it steadily climbs back up.  I'm not the only one this happens to. I think lusche has the same results with tracers on and off.
See Rule #4

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 10:01:40 AM »
I am a noob.  but a wild guess here, majority of people that turn traces off only do it with the unlimited ammo planes (ponies, p47s, mega 20. cannon carriers etc).  try upping an "easy mode" plane like a spit or a hurricane or zero with tracers off.

as for taking stall limiter off, tracers off, auto take off for new people, bad idea.  point is to make it easier on new people to fly and learn to aim. easiest way to learn to shoot is "walk" the rounds.

as for the preset flaps, kindda dorky so I automatically press w several times when upping all planes.  learned that from the guy that crashed 3 262's in a row because his flaps were 1/2 down.  by the time he figured it out he was out of perks

semp

Guncrasher, no one thinks tracers as a crutch for newbies. But your gunnery will be better if you learn to shoot with out tracers. With tracers you tend to push them around and not get solid strikes on plans, vs only watching the plane and shooting a fixed lead from the plane.

HiTech