Author Topic: PYRO? Is this aircraft acceptable?  (Read 2036 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: PYRO? Is this aircraft acceptable?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 12:13:46 AM »
Seems to me the issue is did it see combat?  If I recall 3-4 Tiffies went to that squadron for testing in North Africa.  But I don't recall that they ever were used operationally.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 04:00:47 AM »
From what I've read the desert Typhoons were used operationally, albeit from a rear airfield and only to intercept high flying enemy aircraft. It seems unlikely they ever achieved an interception however.

Given that we currently have N1K, A6M and Seafire skins that were from training squadrons I can't why this shouldn't be accepted.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 11:01:54 AM »
Another picture I was given.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 01:43:03 PM »

Given that we currently have N1K, A6M and Seafire skins that were from training squadrons I can't why this shouldn't be accepted.

I've always assumed in the waining days of the war, with the enemy flying over your shores and airspace, that the training squadron aircraft were used in combat as an act of desperation in order to replace front line squadron losses.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 03:45:29 PM »
I've always assumed in the waining days of the war, with the enemy flying over your shores and airspace, that the training squadron aircraft were used in combat as an act of desperation in order to replace front line squadron losses.

wrongway
He also mentioned Seafires?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 03:56:46 PM »
I'm not a big fan of the training unit japanese planes, but they have a credible argument for inclusion. Some others, I won't get into.

We have a P-47 in RAF garb that was from an OTU (operational training unit) -- but I think the key there was the "operational." There was some discussion about it when it was created, but I don't recall all of it.

Which spitty skin are you thinking of? Might help to jog folks' memories and clear the air.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 04:22:37 PM »
Which spitty skin are you thinking of? Might help to jog folks' memories and clear the air.
Who is the question pertaining too? Me Or Greebo? Because I don't know what Seafire skin was with a training unit.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 05:07:06 PM »
Open question to all

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 06:52:01 AM »
The Seafire with yellow squadron insignia is from a training squadron.