Author Topic: Found my new source of fun in the MA  (Read 855 times)

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Found my new source of fun in the MA
« on: December 20, 2009, 04:06:26 PM »
This month I finally tried something I've seen mentioned several times; working up a streak in the MA. And I really have to say, I'm having a blast. I haven't flown a lot this month, but I'm up to 48 kills at this point. These are the rules I've set for myself;

Landing, Ditch, Bail on land are all penalty-less; ditch or bail into water is rest of night, next day off; capture within 15 miles of a friendly base is rest of the night, next day off (2 of these so far); capture up to a sector a way from friendly 'lines' is rest of night, 5 days off; any capture further away, it's over; death, it's over, obviously.

You would think that this would lead to a boring time; but I've found it's the opposite. I've never had so much fun in the MA. Good, even 1v1's, which really used to be my only source of real fun in the MA's, but are so hard to come by (which is why I've found the MA so boring) are even more adrenaline pumping. Diving into a horde of red is sooo much more fun, though, when you know half a month's worth of work depends on you getting back out; it's a lot more fulfilling and exciting to make it out of those difficult situations alive. Anyway... this was my last sortie so far... One of the most fun I've had int he MA for a while... even though I didn't come out with much to show for it.

December 17th 2009... or have a little fun and pretend it's 65 years beforehand :)

Fired up the trusty Fw 190D-9. This bird has taken me in & out of some hairy situations.

Lifting off with 500 rounds of death in the wings... ready to take the fight to the enemy.

At 15,000 feet I spot a Lightning co-altitude. He sees me as well; the fight is on.

He's a bit sluggish in responding to me; I don't know exactly why. In any case I'm able to quickly pull onto his six o'clock; 2,000 horse power quickly pulled me closer.

At this point I'm expecting him to continue his turn, which I wouldn't have been able to follow in the Dora; however he rolls level and pulls up. This gives me a perfect firing opportunity, unfortunately my rounds do not connect.

I zoom past the Lighting; he tries to follow, but does not have the speed to do so. He tries to escape, so I flip over and give chase.

What ensued was a series of very close passes as we tried to turn inside of eachother. Each time I turned inside, however I was not able to do flight-ending damage.

View from the cockpit as he again passes several yards ahead of me, but flies away seemingly unscathed.

Another I fly past him at close range...

Eventually he takes engine damage and tries to dive away... but now that I've got him I don't let him go. The result is a very satisfying explosion :)
'

I climb again, this time to the enemy airfield, where a small furball is going on.

After several unsuccessful passes I come up on an enemy Airacobra following a friendly... shoot & score, and the Bolshevik is critically damaged.

Next I try to catch a low Tempest trying to make it back to his field... I can't catch him, but I soon have a much more pressing issue...

The Mustang is closing , slowly... I won't be able to outrun him, so I have to force an overshoot, which won't be easy, because he doesn't have THAT much speed on me. I break and start scissoring. The Mustang is still hot on my tail.

But my evasions work... he's quickly very close to me in speed, and is having trouble keeping with my turns. We almost collide...

After more flat scissors I can cut inside of his turns and land hits.

However, once again I have other issues...

I ignoring this I continue with hopes of killing the Mustang right in front of me before I have to head home...

But trouble catches up with me sooner than I expect.

OK now I'm screwed :) I have two choices... put the nose down and run... I may make it back to friendly lines for a bail or ditch... or I may even be able to land. But more likely I'll just either be killed either by enemy fire or as my ruined fighter tumbles to earth.

This is where the adrenaline comes in... I could be killed at any second... but I could make it... what do I do?
I decide to play it safe... the aircraft is still flyable, but it won't be for long. I pitch up to make sure I have enough altitude, and bail out from the Focke Wulf.

I expect to be back in action on Wednesday. My goal for the month is 80. I should be able to reach it assuming I don't have another sortie like this. But man, was it fun. Adrenaline, adrenaline, adrenaline... name of the game :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 04:12:05 PM by Motherland »

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
Re: Found my new source of fun in the MA
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 05:03:28 PM »
Good story line, and good to see the good times roll  :aok

Offline Wrek

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 05:57:27 PM »
 :rock
Wrek

Offline Wagger

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 06:45:15 PM »
And it has a nice axis story line to it.  Only the bad allied planes were hurt in this production.

Offline Hopper

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 11:24:02 PM »
 :salute Bubi, you have a ton more self discipline then I!
Hopper

JG/11

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 01:51:12 AM »
very nice

:salute

dhyran  - retired  CO  ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~        www.loose-deuce.net/

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 03:17:53 AM »
That actually has some appeal to me because I don't get much flying time anyway, no biggie if I'm out for 5 days because odds are I wouldn't have flown anyway.  Not sure if I could get into it if I were wanting to play for hours every day though.  I'll have to try it out some time.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline tassos

• Nickel Member
      • Free Warbids Arena
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 04:14:29 AM »

Very Nice and Detailed
Living Aces High from Sep 1999 as ATZE,MrROX,and from Feb 2000 as tassos
Quit: OPEN /Google:48°58'22.40"N 10°8'15.30"E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B69CquvLHgY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMCq22Vpa18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXsVxFycRZo
Aces High be a part...

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 05:40:17 AM »
I've been doing this for a while, people don't understand it's harder to stay alive then to die. Try fly 10 sorties in a furball area and make it all out w/o dying. Of course, get buncha kills in the process or it would just be pointless. Staying alive is 10x more difficult then just dying in the furball area =)
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 01:15:17 PM »
I've been doing this for a while, people don't understand it's harder to stay alive then to die. Try fly 10 sorties in a furball area and make it all out w/o dying. Of course, get buncha kills in the process or it would just be pointless. Staying alive is 10x more difficult then just dying in the furball area =)

Forgive me Yenny but your stating the obvious  :P

I like the streak idea. I think it should be rewarded with a name in lights. However it is also my belief that this kind of game play does not encourage good MA dynamics. If everyone went for streaks soon there would be no good furballs.

So maybe it should not be rewarded :headscratch:
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF
http://dywizjon308.servegame.org

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept my faith"

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 02:55:34 PM »
What's your rule on pilot wounds?  In any case, looks like fun.  Do you actually not fly in-between, or do you designate a flight as your official run?
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 03:13:17 PM »
Forgive me Yenny but your stating the obvious  :P

I like the streak idea. I think it should be rewarded with a name in lights. However it is also my belief that this kind of game play does not encourage good MA dynamics. If everyone went for streaks soon there would be no good furballs.

So maybe it should not be rewarded :headscratch:
I would think it probably should not be rewarded simply because of the type of gameplay it would encourage to the majority of the player base. (also because it relies a lot on the honor rule for end sortie types other than land & death).I stay relatively aggressive just since that's how I fly and it's hard to kick old habits, but I'm surprised no one has called me a picker or a runner yet so far this tour...

What's your rule on pilot wounds?  In any case, looks like fun.  Do you actually not fly in-between, or do you designate a flight as your official run?

Pilot wound is ok as long as it doesn't turn into a pilot death :)
Unlike when people go for fighter score, and then do 'screw around' sorties under attack blow off some steam, to add to the 'don't screw up' rush, all sorties under all modes in all MA's count (not that I fly any other than LW). That said I have one ground-to-air kill in a Wirble that I didn't count.
I haven't had a sortie since Thursday when I was shot down, beside FSO.

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 04:16:29 PM »
The difference between you, Motherland, and 99% of the people that might try this (like me probably) is that you're willing to put it out there either on equal terms, or even disadvantaged.

Most players, if playing by your rules, would only engage holding all the cards...if playing for keeps, why gamble at 50/50 odds?

It works for you because you actually aren't afraid to get in there and FIGHT.  Most folks, playing with your rules, will sit at 25k and BnZ an entire tour.

Which is fine, but would make my life in the MA fairly boring.  I'm not going to climb up to 25k to look for a fight.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila