Author Topic: Wiping a hard drive  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Wiping a hard drive
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2009, 12:49:59 PM »
I have been using Darik's Boot'n'Nuke for several years now when needing extra effective wiping. It has several different methods to choose from, starting from a simple zero fill to a seven-times-random-1-0 twisters.

3.5" disks are made of solid metal, they don't shatter. Drillholes, sledgehammer or even just poking some holes through the adhesive stickers scratching and deforming the platters will make them unreadable for the most. Not to mention shooting a rifle bullet through it!

One good and environmental friendly way is to dismantle it: You get a nice shiny disk to use as a candle mantle or coaster, plus a pair of the best refridgerator magnets on earth! Or if you leave the platter but strip almost everything else, after attaching a piece of adhesive sanding paper (not too coarse, 400 or finer) on the disk, you get a nice 12 volt grinder to sharpen your flathead screwdrivers and wifeys scissors.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2009, 12:54:42 PM »
a pair of the best refridgerator magnets on earth!

Define best - that thing left huge scratches to my clear satin steel finish refrigerator door. The door is stainless steel so normal refrigerator magnets barely stick at all but this thing stuck good. And of course my son had to slide it across the surface to remove it  :cry Beware - the magnets are literally powerful!
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2009, 02:10:07 PM »
Oh, OK, sorry for being imprecise. I by the best refridgerator magnets I meant things, that don't let papers slip away under them. I've had enough of those so called "magnets" that can't even hold their own weight on their place.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2009, 03:36:42 PM »
Oh, OK, sorry for being imprecise. I by the best refridgerator magnets I meant things, that don't let papers slip away under them. I've had enough of those so called "magnets" that can't even hold their own weight on their place.

Yeah but there's a small difference with paper not slipping and not being able to pry the damn thing off the door without breaking fingernails!  :old:
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2009, 01:37:24 AM »
We tended to use them as whiteboard magnets at school. Could stick a whole semester's worksheet packet to the whiteboard; if you lost yours, unclip the stack and make a copy.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline hyster

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2009, 05:04:00 AM »
my last job i worked as a decommissioning engineer for UK banks. my main role was sorting the units for disposal or reuse of PC,laptop's and server's.
all hard drives had to be datawiped i returned to reuse using ontracks datawipe software and the wiping option "German vistr".

if the unit was to be scraped the hard drive is removed.
drilled
degaussed
shredded to smaller than 4mm pieces

from what im told by the "experts" data can be recovered from a drilled and degaussed drive, even from a small fragment of hard drive thats why they do so many stages.
obviously only an expert will be able to recover data from a drive thats gone through all these stages.

i use bcwipe myself as it has options pre-configered and also u can create ur own. it also has the option if the file u want to wipe is in use then it will wipe it at system start up before its loaded.

Offline MadHatter

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 08:45:24 PM »
Wayout, if you're going to sell this HDD to someone else, google Killdisk. Download and run it 3 times. Any info on it will be effectively destroyed. (I highly doubt anyone is going to spend the money to recover your info, unless you happen to be extremely rich) Data can be recovered from drilled/shattered/shredded HDDs. Computer forensics now use a protocol that uses an electron microscope to actually look at the physical orientation of what the data was. Even if it was hit with a massive magnetic field, the disc will still leave physical evidence of how the bits were orientated. Even tho shredding is highly effective, more and more security conscience companies are opting for shredding and incineration.
-MadHat
CO 81st Bomb Wing "Pogues"
"Carpet bombing is 100% accurate, the bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground."

Offline Digr1

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2010, 02:47:38 PM »
I have need to wipe clean an old hard drive.  It had financial data on it that I don't want the next owner to have access to. Could anyone recomend a free disk wiping utility that would make that deleted data unreadable.  Thanks.

dont delete compleatlt format the drive and re-install the os, that should wipe it clean

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2010, 03:02:07 PM »
dont delete compleatlt format the drive and re-install the os, that should wipe it clean

No, it won't. 

A "format" and OS re-install will only overwrite that data which happens to in the areas that are overwitten on the installation, which are mostly) going to be the same areas of the disk that the OS was written to originally.  The rest of the data that was previously written to the now "unused" sectors of the drive will be intact, and can be perused. 

<S>

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2010, 04:58:12 PM »
This is one of the worst suggestions if security is the key. Data remains in empty disk space unless it's overwritten. Formatting the hard-drive won't overwrite that data.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline MadHatter

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2010, 03:19:39 PM »

Yea, that aint gonna work. Problem is when you re-install over the existing information, you still have "slack space" Say your hard drive writes in sections of 512 kbs. The file you put in there is only 312 kbs, that leaves 200 kbs untouched. Any information that was there previously, will still be in that 200 section. Matter of fact, when you save any file to a hard drive, that slack space has to be filled, the OS will grab any info out of RAM and fill it. Bottom line is, anyone can tell what's in your RAM (websites, etc.)
-MadHat
CO 81st Bomb Wing "Pogues"
"Carpet bombing is 100% accurate, the bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground."

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2010, 02:19:45 PM »
Unless you're selling it to a spy it's not very likely the next owner will take the prohibitively expensive step of bringing it to a lab with a high-power electron microscope to get fragments of your financial data so I think your safe with the free version.

LOL!!! :lol :lol  Too Funny.  Yepp........I use this as well.

Offline Auger

• Nickel Member
      • AKs Home Page
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2010, 09:16:28 PM »
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdc bs=10240

If you can recover that, more power to ya.

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2010, 12:51:26 AM »
Have AK..... will travel 8)