Author Topic: How's about a li'l wind?  (Read 562 times)

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
How's about a li'l wind?
« on: December 21, 2009, 08:49:05 AM »
Can't help thinking that Aces High pilots might fancy the challenge of dealing with the occasional crosswind?

:t
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
Re: How's about a li'l wind?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 10:26:35 AM »
I SO wish that AH had "localized weather" in which some areas could have clouds/wind and other areas be nice and clear.

I remember flying one of the special events once, and a bunch of us were coming back from a mission shot up and running low from fuel, just trying our darnest to circle the CVs as they aligned INTO the wind to make it easier to land. It was quite crazy as the flight leader was arranging landings so we didn't screw each other up. TONS of fun and very interesting dynamic.

(also imagin trying to take off a fully loaded F4U with a crosswind ;-) )
I'd say +1 if it can be done "localized". If it were done to the entire arena at the exact same settings, I'd think it'd get old quick. To me it's more about "variation" and "mixing it up".
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 11:12:10 AM »
Ummm... cross-winds are capable right now.  It just has to be turned on by the arena admin.

In the AvA we do have localized clouds, often include cross-winds and varying altitude wind directions.  We also often load clouds which are localized.

:salute
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 12:42:35 PM »
Can't help thinking that Aces High pilots might fancy the challenge of dealing with the occasional crosswind?

:t
Actually they whined like babies about it screwing up shots when the MA had it.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 12:53:18 PM »
The last time I checked, the MA level bombsite won't allow for wind, it's off causing all drops to miss. If it's been fixed, I haven't seen it mentioned in the release Readme files.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Templar

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 03:08:52 PM »
Clouds man clouds.....I got soooo lost one time in THICK cloud cover in a TBM trying to help defend a port from a gv attack...stuff was like soup and this bish mossie pilot and I kept running into each other and taking potshots and all I wanted to do was drop my eggs and get out but I couldn't find the dang tanks to drop on.....finally dropped on the enemy (missed bigtime) and landed on the beach at the port......man that was fun.  Point being is that cloud cover/fog in the main arena and was localized.
Muhahahahhaa

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 05:22:21 PM »
+1

I can see those noobs whining now...

"126892: Whaaa! Teh +wind missed up megh shotz"  :headscratch:

"BOOOM: No mre wend! No mre wend! 13377331"  :x

"978366: I hate teh wind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!111!!!!!!!!!"   :rofl

"W09: I'd be teh rokkorz widout dis wnd! Tke et awt! :((((((((((((((((((((((((((((("   :bolt:

Forever and and ever!

But it would be worth it to have some sort of difference, like a freak lightning taking out a bishop horde, or setting fire to the strats!  :devil

Bring in the wind!  +1

-Penguin

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 08:37:50 AM »
Actually they whined like babies about it screwing up shots when the MA had it.

air to air shots? do they not understand how winds aloft work?   once you are flying, the planes, bullets, etc. have no idea nor do they care they are moving relative to the ground.. 
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline DarkHawk

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 08:59:54 AM »
I have flown a few of the sea special events that had cross winds, was hard to bomb had to make from altitude but could be accomplished with a little bit of practice.
makes a bombing mission a lot more realistic.

Dhawk
49DHawk
XO for BOWL (DHawk)