Author Topic: Wings of Prey, PC beta release!  (Read 14563 times)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Re: Wings of Prey, PC beta release!
« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2010, 12:14:21 PM »
I just downloaded it this morning and gave it the old school try. It has now been uninstalled and yuplay has been deleted from the system as well. This is just something that doesn't interest me at all and I see no benefit to having it available for my oldest son to start playing that first before AH.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: January 07, 2010, 12:36:44 PM »

OMG! a four blades prop on a 202 ... :x
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 12:38:56 PM by gatt »
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Stratocaster

• Nickel Member
« Reply #122 on: January 08, 2010, 12:50:52 AM »
The eye candy is great, online play not so much.
Strat

∼<<∼Loose Deuce∼>>∼

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2010, 11:11:22 AM »
I was laughing playing the offline the other day, thinking most of you are stating that the FM is more arcade then AH, but I dont think it is, the spins are way worse then in AH, WAY worse. that 51 is straight up unstable.

what makes the game more "arcade" is all the "info" on screen, the targeting Info and such like that.

the graphics are INSANLY awesome, attacking the bombers in the spit, wow there were holes in my wing I could see through, YUP game is cool, I would play this but I am a True HARD core Aces High fan, wierd some people love sports, some love racing( oh wow watch... they are gonna turn left.... :rofl
  Me Aces High baby.... :aok

I will say Dale should take a spin(if he has not already) and just LOOK at it.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #124 on: January 08, 2010, 11:35:44 AM »
The eye candy is great, online play not so much.

Nail on the head.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #125 on: January 08, 2010, 01:52:10 PM »
I was laughing playing the offline the other day, thinking most of you are stating that the FM is more arcade then AH, but I dont think it is, the spins are way worse then in AH, WAY worse. that 51 is straight up unstable.

what makes the game more "arcade" is all the "info" on screen, the targeting Info and such like that.

the graphics are INSANLY awesome, attacking the bombers in the spit, wow there were holes in my wing I could see through, YUP game is cool, I would play this but I am a True HARD core Aces High fan, wierd some people love sports, some love racing( oh wow watch... they are gonna turn left.... :rofl
  Me Aces High baby.... :aok

I will say Dale should take a spin(if he has not already) and just LOOK at it.

Just because you find the spins to be worse in WoP than AH does not mean the flight model is that much harder than AH.  The game is marketed towards the mass market (why else optimize the game for game pads?) and the flight model is representative of that fact.  Yes, in 'realistic' and 'simulation' mode, the flight model is better than 'arcade' mode but it still doesn't change the fact the flight model has been 'dumbed' down a bit in order to make it more appealing to the mass market it's aimed at. 

Not saying it's a bad game at all, I have been having a lot of fun playing the demo and will be getting the full version but it's definitely not inline with the FM of AH or even any of the IL2 games.  Like I mentioned in a previous post, this is a great game for those that are looking to get into the flight sim genre for the first time. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #126 on: January 08, 2010, 02:00:20 PM »
Just because you find the spins to be worse in WoP than AH does not mean the flight model is that much harder than AH.  The game is marketed towards the mass market (why else optimize the game for game pads?) and the flight model is representative of that fact.  Yes, in 'realistic' and 'simulation' mode, the flight model is better than 'arcade' mode but it still doesn't change the fact the flight model has been 'dumbed' down a bit in order to make it more appealing to the mass market it's aimed at. 

Not saying it's a bad game at all, I have been having a lot of fun playing the demo and will be getting the full version but it's definitely not inline with the FM of AH or even any of the IL2 games.  Like I mentioned in a previous post, this is a great game for those that are looking to get into the flight sim genre for the first time. 

ack-ack

they are worse!  but does that constatute flight model?  Do all planes handle exactly the same way? this I don't know, so I should not say the FM is better or worse...I do know the 51 spins out of control way easier then ANY plane in AH.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2010, 10:41:29 PM »
they are worse!  but does that constatute flight model?  Do all planes handle exactly the same way? this I don't know, so I should not say the FM is better or worse...I do know the 51 spins out of control way easier then ANY plane in AH.
The problem is that you have none of the indicators that the stall is coming up like you do in Aces High. No stall horn/noise or buffet (that I noticed at least). Control authority seems to stay rather similar through all flight speeds as well (except extremely high speeds), which certainly doesn't help the matter.

The issue is not so much that it stalls 'easier', just that you don't have the 'seat of your pants' feeling of when the aircraft is going to stall that I hear described by real pilots, nor the 'stand in' indicators that Aces High has, so it comes up suddenly and without warning.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #128 on: January 09, 2010, 12:04:23 AM »
The problem is that you have none of the indicators that the stall is coming up like you do in Aces High. No stall horn/noise or buffet (that I noticed at least). Control authority seems to stay rather similar through all flight speeds as well (except extremely high speeds), which certainly doesn't help the matter.

The issue is not so much that it stalls 'easier', just that you don't have the 'seat of your pants' feeling of when the aircraft is going to stall that I hear described by real pilots, nor the 'stand in' indicators that Aces High has, so it comes up suddenly and without warning.
You can fly this way in AH, you just turn off the stall horn, you will notice a difference in the handling.

But it would be nice if it was in WOP where you could toggle it like in AH.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 12:06:14 AM by trax1 »
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson