Author Topic: my rc plane  (Read 1304 times)

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
Re: my rc plane
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2010, 10:13:23 AM »
try an OS # 8 glow plug. don't use off brands, stick to os. theirs are the best.

i've solved stumble problems, simply by using that plug.  :aok

I've got a few of those in my box. I have a Fox plug in it now, but I may try it. Thanks!
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2010, 10:17:30 AM »
I've got a few of those in my box. I have a Fox plug in it now, but I may try it. Thanks!

that could be your problem......me andf others have had problems with the fox glow plugs.

i hate paying what os plugs cost, but then it's cheaper and easier than fixing my broken airplane.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2010, 10:35:14 AM »
I agree about the OS#8 Plug .
There are no club's around me ao for a trainer I built a or some SPAD Plane's . I use the RealFlight r/c sim to get my skill up . Here is a photo of my last one I built . Got some new servos and batterers otw for it and the receiver . Have not worked on it for a few month's but back on it now and hope to have it up in the air in a week .Have a black one I am working on too ,will post a pick of it too . Oh ,Let me add , It is hard to learn on your own . Even in AH ..

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 10:43:53 AM by Flench »
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2010, 10:56:22 AM »
From experience, the Superstar, or the Horizon P51 Trainer, are probably the best trainers out there. I do not like the Nextstar, and I would not recomend that to anyone.
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2010, 11:11:34 AM »
I taught myself to fly, but then again I started with RC gliders.  I built my first one (I think was called an Olympic 650?) and just started out by tossing it and landing it.  A level hand-toss gave me 25 yards or so...  Then I progressed to standing on picnic tables, stairs, etc, and finally to tossing it off the back-side of the high school football stadium bleachers.

Once I had that mastered I switched over to a high-start which gave me a 500ft launch or so.  I think the worst that happened in that period was nipping a wing on a garbage can, and then later a flag pole.  Nothing major to repair.

I then rebuilt the outer wing panels and added ailerons, and then added flaps to the inboard section.  The tip re-build also added about two feet of span and decreased the polyhedral.  Man that baby could soar!  I eventually wrecked it by slamming it into the side of a mountain trying to land before an approaching t-storm.  In all, that starter plane lasted almost 10 years. 

Meanwhile, I was adding planes.  I could seldom afford to by planes or kits, so drew up my own plans and scratch-built everything.  I started with electric power, and hated it, so switched to glow.  I just took any ol' 3-view I could find, and blew it up to fit the engines I wanted to use (.25, .40, .75).  I went on to get a degree in art, so drawing was never that tough for me.  Those included a sport-type plane that I built with 6 different wings (airfoil changes, span, flaps, ailerons, etc...), P51's and F4U's, an Ultimate Biplane, and others.  I even had an RC redtail hawk that was going very well as a project, but then I quit working on it.  It was giving me some issues because I didn't want a vertical stabilizer on it.

I've taught a lot of folks to fly over the years, and I've got to say that the buddy-box cord idea rocks.  It's saved many a plane...  I didn't use it of course, and didn't destroy any planes learning, but I took a gradual approach.  I knew how to land first, fly second, and take off last.  It's tough to do that with a powered plane, unless you have help.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2010, 01:22:06 PM »
I agree about the OS#8 Plug .
There are no club's around me ao for a trainer I built a or some SPAD Plane's . I use the RealFlight r/c sim to get my skill up . Here is a photo of my last one I built . Got some new servos and batterers otw for it and the receiver . Have not worked on it for a few month's but back on it now and hope to have it up in the air in a week .Have a black one I am working on too ,will post a pick of it too . Oh ,Let me add , It is hard to learn on your own . Even in AH ..
(Image removed from quote.)

Hehe... I get a kick out of your ol' beater. :lol I can relate.
Okay.. I changed to an O.S. plug, gonna do an engine test here shortly.
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2010, 02:03:33 PM »
Well, it did better, but still a bit boggy in the transition from idle to full. Can't seem to find the sweet spot. The draft off that prop is just a wee bit cold, though! :D
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2010, 02:35:38 PM »
Well, it did better, but still a bit boggy in the transition from idle to full. Can't seem to find the sweet spot. The draft off that prop is just a wee bit cold, though! :D

ok.....that's 1 in a row.

now try this.

watch the fuel lines when you're bringing the rpm up. watch them VERY carefully. i've seen tiny bubbles make problems too.

i tend to clamp my fuel lines now.
 also, look at the lines inside the tank. sometimes, you can get a hairline crack right at the clunk, or on the other end of the clunk hose inside the tank...allowing the smallest amount of air in, causing this.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2010, 02:50:12 PM »
Hehe... I get a kick out of your ol' beater. :lol I can relate.
Okay.. I changed to an O.S. plug, gonna do an engine test here shortly.
Funny thiing is they fly great ...
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2010, 08:18:17 PM »

Check the fuel filter too.  I've had problems like you mentioned caused by crud blocking the end of the filter.  It was tiny stuff, hard to see.  Almost looked like fiberglass particles.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson