Author Topic: "pick" not what most think  (Read 2807 times)

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Re: "pick" not what most think
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2009, 06:17:44 PM »
The "pick" IMHO is taking a pilot unaware of your presence period.  

What???

So, how do you make sure he knows you're there?  How do you know when he's detected your presence and he's "ready"?  What if he knows you're there, but he's not ready?  Is it a pick then?

If you shoot someone who isn't aware of your presence, shame on him, not you!

By your definition, the vast majority of kills of new players are "picks".  Trust me, most of them aren't aware you're there.  If they know you're nearby, they probably don't know exactly where you are.  Does this mean "vets" kills on new players are picks, more than a difference in skill level?

If you lose track of your opponent in a fight (so are unaware of his location), is his kill on you a pick?

I think the definition of "pick" is being wrongly broadened, so those who aren't happy with the way they died think they have a legitimate excuse...
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2009, 06:58:37 PM »
a bounce......albiet with poor gunnery, but in my opinion, an otherwise perfect bounce.

http://www.mediafire.com/?myvi40nkzgm

a pick. i was losing this fight badly, but i was friggin havin fun, till butwipe came in. you might notice he bypassed a non-engaged con too.....

http://www.mediafire.com/?lydxhtynz3o

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
The "pick" IMHO is taking a pilot unaware of your presence period.

No that kind of kill is called awesome especially if a keyboard message pops up immediately on 200 like:

"I love it when tttttttttttttttttttttt"

:D
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2009, 08:45:22 PM »
actually, when i've been in fun fights, if i ask someone to stay out, and they come in anyway, i take the first chance i get to egress....and let em die at the hands of the dude i was fighting.  :devil

thats exactly what I do, hell even if I cant get it out "no I dont want help" and a friendly comes in, I break off and let the red guy deal with the "picker",  what sux is there are very few that actually play this way, I know I am not the only one, but I do wish more had this philosophy.

obviously in a big furball this is not the case.

I also wanna say, I dont think "Picking" is "bad", but I know if that is all someone does, they will be in dire straits if they get caught in a 1vs1.

INK 

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2009, 08:55:59 PM »
thats exactly what I do, hell even if I cant get it out "no I dont want help" and a friendly comes in, I break off and let the red guy deal with the "picker",  what sux is there are very few that actually play this way, I know I am not the only one, but I do wish more had this philosophy.

obviously in a big furball this is not the case.

I also wanna say, I dont think "Picking" is "bad", but I know if that is all someone does, they will be in dire straits if they get caught in a 1vs1.

INK 

yea...i agree...it's not something that we can really call bad....even if we don't like it. it's just like anything else in here....we've all done it in the past, and will possibly do it again in the future..........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2009, 10:06:09 PM »

I have always be leaved that my best kills, was the ones that the target never seen me coming....  :neener:

And if someone jumps in and helps me with the kill, I give them <S> & thank them....  :salute

Air combat isn't an individual sport.... it is a team sport... In my 16 years of playing online flight sims I have never cared if I was good at 1 vs. 1's. :O

Cavalry
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2009, 10:25:59 PM »
Air combat isn't an individual sport

Its a good thing this is a game and not air combat then isnt it.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2009, 10:28:17 PM »

this is only a game????????
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2009, 10:29:37 PM »

It is what you make it. Lots of people put themselves into the mindset of someone fighting the war and sometimes lone-wolfing it means taking what you get and trying to live. Associating your rules and how you conduct your game doesnt mean everyone is going to do the same thing. In fact when they dont you cant even complain about it you should expect it instead.

Merry Christmas!  :aok
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2009, 10:34:38 PM »
My rules? I didn't say anything about rules or how people should or shouldn't play this game. I only said this is a game not air combat. That's a fact, and if you really think you're some hot shot pilot in WWII then I suggest going to see a shrink.

Happy Hanukkah!  :aok
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2009, 10:37:10 PM »
Amen to what GhostH said.

Killing an unengaged enemy aircraft with an altitude advantage is a bounce not a pick. The aggressor cannot possibly know the state of awareness of the enemy in that situation. If the enemy is not aware, it's a quick death, if he is, he can maneuver to spoil the gun solution and the attacker either egresses or a fight ensues albeit at an initial energy disadvantage for the defender.

Killing an enemy who is obviously preoccupied is a cherry-pick. It is easily discernable to the attacker that the defender is likely unaware of his presence or at the very least is not in a good position to do a lot about it.

As GhostH mentioned, "cherry-picking" is just another way of saying cooperative tactics whether on purpose or by accidents of circumstances and opportunity. The whole point of flying in loose-coordination with friendlies is that you can mutually support each other. I have never seen a complex engagement in AH where 10 vs 10'ish planes square off in exactly 10 separate 1 vs 1 engagements. It just doesn't happen, the team that coordinates and mutually supports each other the best will win that fight in what amounts to predominately various forms of "cherry-picking".

Of course this is just a game, but in real life during WWII 90% of aircraft shot down by other aircraft were not even aware they were under attack. So, we can deduce that only 10% of air to air shootdowns were NOT the result of a bounce or a pick...Because AH is a game and people tend to follow-thru in an overly aggressive manner on attacks (because we don't really die) the true figure would be about 50/50 range in the game...Just food for thought...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 10:41:58 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2009, 10:54:28 PM »
SIG:
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Science..."

I was wondering when this Zazen was going to return  :aok :D

bout time.....enjoy your collegiate philosophy type postings.....

Happy Holidays Zaz

and btw........ pick / picking is still just a tactic people use, correct?
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2009, 11:58:16 PM »
I was wondering when this Zazen was going to return  :aok :D

bout time.....enjoy your collegiate philosophy type postings.....

Happy Holidays Zaz

and btw........ pick / picking is still just a tactic people use, correct?

In complex engagements there are free-fighters and engaged fighters. The tactical responsibility of the free fighter is to cover the 6 of the engaged fighters. That involves a lot of "cherry picking" especially when your engaged fighter is clearly losing and needs a bandit shot off his 6. Cherry picking is not a derogatory term, it is merely  the duty of anyone considered a "free-fighter" (not engaged). Of course, it is also the duty of the "free-fighter", in his responsibility to secure the safety of the engaged fighter, to interdict and engage other "free-fighters", as it is reasonable to do so, in order to prevent them from assisting their engaged fighter (via cherrypicking). Cherry-picking is more than just a facet of multi-plane engagment tactics , it is the cornerstone of it.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 11:59:59 PM by Zazen13 »
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2009, 12:19:04 AM »
In complex engagements there are free-fighters and engaged fighters. The tactical responsibility of the free fighter is to cover the 6 of the engaged fighters. That involves a lot of "cherry picking" especially when your engaged fighter is clearly losing and needs a bandit shot off his 6. Cherry picking is not a derogatory term, it is merely  the duty of anyone considered a "free-fighter" (not engaged). Of course, it is also the duty of the "free-fighter", in his responsibility to secure the safety of the engaged fighter, to interdict and engage other "free-fighters", as it is reasonable to do so, in order to prevent them from assisting their engaged fighter (via cherrypicking). Cherry-picking is more than just a facet of multi-plane engagment tactics , it is the cornerstone of it.

yes, but there's also situations such as the film i posted. the dude flew right past another red guy i htink to come pick shuffler off of me. why? because he was low n slow, where as the other plane had a chance.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2009, 12:20:00 AM »
My rules? I didn't say anything about rules or how people should or shouldn't play this game. I only said this is a game not air combat. That's a fact, and if you really think you're some hot shot pilot in WWII then I suggest going to see a shrink.

You dont have to mention specific rules when you indicate agreement of an ideal through implication. If someone wants to 'role play' and pretend for the sake of play that they are reenacting a WWII pilots action then no they dont need a shrink and it was wrong for you to imply that.