Author Topic: New system Win 7 - cannot run AH  (Read 546 times)

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
New system Win 7 - cannot run AH
« on: December 22, 2009, 10:34:35 AM »
Greetings aces (especially Skuzzy)

As announced in the forums I am planning to come back to AH. Today I picked up my rig with Win7 Premium  Home 64bit installed. Loaded up the newest Catalyst drivers (9.12) and installed the Logitech 940 in hopes to take off quickly.

Now the first time I loaded AH it showed me the splash screen for about 2 seconds before the screen went all black and all I could do was reboot. The second time around the clipboard showed up. Played around with the settings a bit - all looked fine. Then I started to enter my account information when the screen went grey - and all I could to was reboot.

I am totally clueless - not being up to date with PCs since like 3 years.

edit: link to DXDiag since quoting it exceeds word limit -->  http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AaDqYZDpPIK0ZGdjeHpiNG5fMTlkM3ZjZjlqdg&hl=en
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 10:37:02 AM by Kirin »
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: New system Win 7 - cannot run AH
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 10:51:51 AM »
The first thing that comes to mind is power supply.

Although, I would not trust the VIA sound device either.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 12:13:39 PM »
Hey Skuzzy,

The power supply is a Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W...  nothing else but the 5770 and a DVD burner in the rig - should be plenty of power.

Trying to update the audio drivers. No additional soundcard installed - using onboard.

---

The only other game I tried is Strike Fighters 2 Isreal (download version) which runs fine.

Real men fly Radial!

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 03:16:44 PM »
Hmmm - reinstalled the HiRes packages and things seem to run fine now. Had my first sortie in years! Weeee!  :x

Everythings stable at the moment...
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 03:23:43 PM »
Careful with the high resolution package.  If you were running an anti-virus program during its install, it could have gotten corrupted due to a false trigger.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 07:55:02 AM »
vv - AH is stable as for now. Will to some extensive testing/flying.

---
The OFP: Dragon Rising demo runs beautiful. I really happy with my new system!!!
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 09:49:12 AM »
Kirin - having run windows 7 on three different machines, a couple of points:

1. Sound cards - I would recommend finding a decent sound card like a Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer.  I found that using the onboard sound drivers caused a lot of headaches with stuttering when the game got busy (i.e. base in flames, planes attacking, warning siren going off, planes taking off, dogs and cats flying everywhere). :)

2. Hi-rez - I too had a lot of grief with the game freezing all because of a mis-installed hirez pack.  You did the right thing re-installing it.

3. Chipset - although Windows 7 does a bang-up job finding most of your current drivers, be sure you have the latest chipset drivers.

Glad to hear it's working for you now.  :aok
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 11:34:46 PM »
win7 64 found all the latest drivers for all my hardware except for a bios update.  not sure if win7 is supposed to get that update also.  also win7 will get drivers but not for options u havent installed like the 3d drivers for nvidia cards that will have to be manually d/l'd.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Selino631

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 08:22:10 PM »
I just got a Dell Studio XPS 16 laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. Everything works great for me except for some reason i cant give manual check's nor can i expand the message window by pressing `. It make it kinda annoying in chat if i miss something someone said to me and i have to have the repeat. I went to Map Keys and set it to a diffrent key but it still doesnt work. i have no idea why either.
OEF 11-12