Author Topic: Vox causes Stutters showing big spikes on netstats  (Read 301 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Vox causes Stutters showing big spikes on netstats
« on: December 29, 2009, 02:47:46 AM »
For some reason using either range of mission vox in AH now generates stutters.  When I check net status I see big spikes anytime I cycle range or mission vox.  What on earth have I changed added or deleted that might cause this?
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Vox causes Stutters showing big spikes on netstats
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 02:51:49 AM »
Usually stopping a few background processes or stopping a service will make all the difference. I recently updated a graphics driver and for some reason it added 3D stereovision support and it was a system hog or really put a bend on the video card somehow. Shutting that off got rid of consistent stutters or micro-freezes I was having.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 02:51:53 AM »
Does it look like a sawtooth pattern?

Are you using the mic through a sound card or through a usb port?

Can you post a dxdiag?
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 03:41:17 AM »
Tried shutting off some obvious processes.  No change.  Looking at netstats they are fine except whenever I key range or mission vox then I get  a lengthy stutter (at least a full second) and thats where I see the spike.  I just did a vox check and it sounded like crap.  Just a few days ago I checked and it was fine.  I have recently installed a webcam and some associated software.  Thats probably what screwed me up.  What part of dxdiag should I post here?  its a lengthy bit of data.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 04:59:48 AM »
Usually the first third or a little less is good.

Probably your webcam has a mic pickup and it has set it as the default recording device which is why your vox went to sounding bad. No telling what else it added to your system.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 05:08:55 AM »
yep.  That was it.  When I unplugged the webcam USB everything straightened right out.  Thanks guys for helping me.