Author Topic: X52 Cable Issues  (Read 882 times)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
X52 Cable Issues
« on: December 29, 2009, 02:45:53 PM »
Anyone else have problems with loose cables on the X52?  What have you done to correct this?  What usually occurs is a jiggle in the wrong direction of either end of the cable causes a momentary power loss to the joystick portion of the X52.  Loss of calibration accompanies this.  Right now the only fix I have is to unplug the joystick, let it sit still for a moment, then plug it back in.  Calibration is usually restored by this. Very ugly to deal with in flight, let alone during a fight.  Your help is appreciated...

Way
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
Re: X52 Cable Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 03:02:17 PM »
I use blue tac to keep my cable ends in....mainly my stick end but use it on the throttle side also.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 03:31:26 PM »
I don't really have a big issue with this although it does come out on occasion. What I would probably do is take all the slack from the USB hook-up to the top of my desk and attach the cable to the top or back side of my desk so the slack I need would be up on the table.  I'm not sure what I'd use, just some tape or I'm sure you can get a special cable tie to attach.

I don't know what I'd say about the connection between the two devices, I'd hate to glue it but maybe a dot of some glue would hold it in but you would still be able to scrape off the glue if you wanted to disconnect it.  If you get really fancy you could glue a small L shaped piece of something to the cable end and figure out a way to attach that flat surface to the controller.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline 2ADoc

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 03:45:55 PM »
I took the Excess cable and put it behind my monitor so they are out of way.  Secondly I secured both the joy stick and the throttle, I have found that alot of the loose cable situations I had were due to me moving the stick around while flying.  Since I have secured them, with bungie cords, to my desk I have not had the cables come loose.
Takeoffs are optional, landings aren't
Vini Vedi Velcro
See Rule 4, 13, 14.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 04:21:36 PM »
I use blue tac to keep my cable ends in....mainly my stick end but use it on the throttle side also.

Never heard of it.  What is it?

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 04:38:38 PM »
I took the Excess cable and put it behind my monitor so they are out of way.  Secondly I secured both the joy stick and the throttle, I have found that alot of the loose cable situations I had were due to me moving the stick around while flying.  Since I have secured them, with bungie cords, to my desk I have not had the cables come loose.

:lol
I thought I was the only one, who Incorporated bungee's into their system. 
I added one to each rudder pedal, to give them more resistance.
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 04:41:36 PM »
I suppose some of that stuff you use to stick posters up on the wall would work, I don't know what it's called, some kind of putty.  It might be similar to that blue tac.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 05:19:49 PM »
Duct Tape is your friend :aok :aok

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 12:16:32 AM »
Are you certain its your cable?

All I know is my connection issues were fixed, ones like your having, Once I got the proper powered USB Hub AND went into X52 control panel and set LEDs to 100% brightness. Dont ask me how but once I set it to 100% all my issues cleared up. Including connection problems and mouse jump.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. :salute
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 08:36:02 AM »
Two separate issues, you can actually have both. The X52 suffers from some type of a manufacturing shortcoming specific to the cable connection at the back of the throttle. More then likely a solder connection goes bad over time and if you move it around it shorts or loses conductivity. I simply found the position that placed the correct pressure to solidify the connection and used duct tape to keep the cable secure in that position...never had the issue again.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 09:55:23 AM »
It's defintely the cable.  I run a powered USB hub, and the power only drops on the stick, not the throttle.  Will try some duct tape and or blue tac!  Thanks folks!

Way

Offline lagger86

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 09:05:03 AM »
Duct Tape is your friend :aok :aok
it really is, it REALLY IS! I love duct tape, it is one of the greatest human achievements along with sliced bread, lighters, and the wheel.
Lagger

Offline Tom5572

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 07:59:33 PM »
I had the same problem with my x52, the stick would drop and not the throttle.  I thought it was a cabling issue as well.  I got a belkin powered hub and it fixed it.  I have not had a problem since, the cables still come loose but I do not lose the calibration or connection with the throttle.  I know I sound weird but it fixed my problem.  I used some other powered hub before the belkin and still had this problem.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 08:21:11 AM »
I had the same problem with my x52, the stick would drop and not the throttle.  I thought it was a cabling issue as well.  I got a belkin powered hub and it fixed it.  I have not had a problem since, the cables still come loose but I do not lose the calibration or connection with the throttle.  I know I sound weird but it fixed my problem.  I used some other powered hub before the belkin and still had this problem.

Noted.  Thank you for the additional input.  I certainly would not call my powered USB hub a name-brand.