Author Topic: ACM Book  (Read 7262 times)

Offline james

• Silver Member
Re: ACM Book
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2010, 05:48:17 PM »
half.com THANKS shiv!
6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070

Offline crutch

• Zinc Member
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2010, 05:53:07 PM »
If you want to go deeper into the mindset of a fighter pilot, kinda the Sun Tzu of pilots, check out "Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War".

It is a bio book, so there will be a lot of info outside the ACM world but its a good read.

Boyd is the guy that distilled what we do when we fight to the OODA loop.
Observe, Orient, Decide, Act;
Observe - look around and see.
Orient - (SA) where am I, when is the bad guy and where am I in relation to him.
Decide - what should I do?
Act - DO IT.

the faster you can process the loop the easier you force the other pilot to REact to your actions and you are inside of his thinking loop.

He also points out this loop is used in everything from driving your car on the freeway to how you manage your job.
Crutch

Check Six - The Book

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2010, 07:24:34 PM »
If you want to go deeper into the mindset of a fighter pilot, kinda the Sun Tzu of pilots, check out "Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War".

It is a bio book, so there will be a lot of info outside the ACM world but its a good read.

Orient - (SA) where am I, when is the bad guy and where am I in relation to him.
Act - DO IT.

the faster you can process the loop the easier you force the other pilot to REact to your actions and you are inside of his thinking loop.

He also points out this loop is used in everything from driving your car on the freeway to how you manage your job.

I can't find the link to it, maybe thorsim could link it again but it was to Boyd's manual that he wrote, pretty much the fighter's bible before Shaw's book.  Excellent addition to anyone's ACM book library if they can find the link to it.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline james

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2010, 07:44:48 PM »
Yup, found it. Just ordered shaws for the second time the first one I lost. I had a copy of another online sim book back in the airwarrior days. Trying to remember the name of it.  Alot of things in the different ACM books I couldn't do very well in airwarrior. It seemed like the planes were too sluggish or I was just too impatient. Now I have an actual stick setup and a different mind set when I play. Thanks to the Op for resparking an old interest.
6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070

Offline Koendog

• Zinc Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2010, 06:42:12 AM »
I just found and ordered Every Man a Tiger at alibris.com. They had quite a few, some didn't look so great. Might be worth a look  :salute
In-game name: Geo

"That wasn't flying, that was falling...with style."

Offline james

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2010, 09:12:05 PM »
Reading shaws book for the second time feels like reading with a new set of eyes.
6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2010, 10:28:29 PM »

Act - DO IT.

I can't find the link to it, maybe thorsim could link it again but it was to Boyd's manual that he wrote, pretty much the fighter's bible before Shaw's book.  Excellent addition to anyone's ACM book library if they can find the link to it.

ack-ack

ask and you shall receive ...

http://www.lulu.com/content/6166593

thor <<< always helpful ...

imo the best nuts and bolts read in the bunch although all are worth the investment of time,thought and energy ...

i have found a declassified ...

(FYI the AAS was the book the USAAF and others used for years officially and was a classified document i am sure some of the original still is)

PDF floating around free now and again but for less than  2 bucks this one is probably much easier to read printing wise ...

i second all the suggestions in the thread ...

i would also recommend if only for entertainments sake although many have combat insights ...

"no guts no glory"

"thunderbolt"

"nine lives"

"Fighter Squadron at Guadalcanal"

"I Flew for the Fuhrer"

they all paint great pictures and even though the "how to" aspects can be thin i have gleamed a lot from them on many levels including ACM, small air unit tactics, etc. etc. ...

there are tons more of books like these above and honestly i have never read one that was not applicable and valuable to virtual ACM.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 10:31:51 PM by thorsim »
THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.