Author Topic: Alt Cap  (Read 1282 times)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Alt Cap
« on: January 10, 2010, 09:27:58 AM »
Has this ever been lowered or raised before? Since I have participated in KOTH its always been 6k. Has anyone thought about making the alt limit based on how many are still in the fight? Last two have no alt limit, last 4 it bumps up or down to like 4 or 8k ect ect

:salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Alt Cap
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 03:17:23 PM »
Well people had trouble seeing the 'alt cap' so to speak so we introduced the cloud layer. The cloud layer can not be arbitrarily moved up or down at will. I believe we used to have an 8k alt cap but we lowered it to 6k.
A variable alt cap would only cause problems imo.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 08:03:59 PM »
Well people had trouble seeing the 'alt cap' so to speak so we introduced the cloud layer. The cloud layer can not be arbitrarily moved up or down at will. I believe we used to have an 8k alt cap but we lowered it to 6k.

KOTH used to have a variable alt cap way back when...

IIRC they had a "Cruise" cap, and then a "Zoom" cap 2k higher.  It was either 4k/6k or 6k/8k or some such thing.

Was a huge pain in the tookus for the hosting CM and almost impossible to enforce.

6k is just about "perfect" for an alt cap.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 09:01:41 PM »
KOTH used to have a variable alt cap way back when...

IIRC they had a "Cruise" cap, and then a "Zoom" cap 2k higher.  It was either 4k/6k or 6k/8k or some such thing.

Was a huge pain in the tookus for the hosting CM and almost impossible to enforce.

6k is just about "perfect" for an alt cap.

yep it started out as 6k / 8k max ceiling..........it did not last very long at all......... then we kept ( well the KOTH CM's did ) the 6k alt cap for a good while until they eventually introduced the cloud layer......

but back then, without the cloud layer, most participants would humblely bail/.ef without question and would apologize for ruining the fight they was in....... the character of them old players was like legendary........ no CM had to order or insist for an alt brker to bail out or end flight......

for the longest while the respect & atitude of the KOTH participants was hardly ever questioned......... the fights were of epic proportions many a time..... and the thought of having to send a film in for review was unheard of.......

thats what I recall......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 09:23:17 PM »
If the alt changed before the last 2 I can see it being a big problem. But with the last 2 we already change the rules, If there was no alt cap it would make it so the 2 dont have to worry about anything other then the fight. I had this problem in the last KOTH I was in, me and 18whiskey were the last 2 in a KI84 round, I baited him into a merge where you have to rope your opponent for it to work, It was all good until I saw the cloud layer and decided to spilt S giving him a really easy shot. Im not saying the fight would have turned out differently,18whiskey is a very cabable stick like all those that make it to last 2, I just think when at last 2 the players shouldnt have to worry about anything other then beating the other guy

Just my opionion that thought might be able to get debated a bit :salute
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 04:15:09 AM »
6k makes people fight.  if you want to do an e merge dive in and hope your opponent merges with you on deck.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 04:37:24 AM »
6k makes people fight.  if you want to do an e merge dive in and hope your opponent merges with you on deck.
Thats why I put out the "last 2" part. I understand why we have the alt cap the rest of the time, with 2 you cant not fight because you have to head to the nearest fight, right? Its already almost no rules in the final 2 anyway.
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 08:08:43 AM »
not gonna change, especially during the round.  That requires us CM's to constantly change wind settings during each round.  I will not do that.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 08:12:53 AM »
not gonna change, especially during the round.  That requires us CM's to constantly change wind settings during each round.  I will not do that.
AH forgot about the wind, definately a hassle thinking about the wind.......Dogg I hate you :D :salute
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 03:31:58 PM »
I am confused, what is the difference between 6K 8K 10K or 100K if both guys can climb that high?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.