Author Topic: Networking Issues  (Read 818 times)

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Re: Networking Issues
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 09:15:38 PM »
Alright, I created new user accounts on all systems, the same user name and password combination now exists on all systems. Afterward I confirmed all systems are in the same workgroup, file and printer sharing is enabled, Windows Firewall is disabled, and shares existed for all systems. Upon testing this configuration, the only system's shares which could be accessed are those from the new Vista/W7 laptop. So, even with all the changes, the trouble-computers still can't connect to each other in order to view each others shares.

Let me try to describe the sharing situation in some more detail. Every computer in the network can access the Vista/W7 shares which I created today. However, none of the networked computers can open a connection to any of the trouble-computers to view their shares. Each computer is listed in the "View Workgroup Computers" panel, I just can't open a connection to any of the trouble-computers.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 10:00:36 PM »
Problem fixed...

Well, I don't know why, but after formatting one of the trouble computers it seems the networking issues are resolved, to an extent. The remaining trouble-computer still has a "lock-out" attitude, yet it can access network shares on any other networked computer. My guess is that Windows was attempting to open a connection to the "Guest" account on the trouble-computers when in fact it didn't exist (disabled). Since the guest account isn't disabled on this fresh install (yet) the trouble-computer managed to connect to network shares immediately (for all accounts on the system... strange, I know). Next step is to alter the security policy and disable the guest account. If for some reason the trouble-computer won't connect (even when using proper login credentials), I'll try to back-track to see if one of the security policies is bothering the trouble-computer.
FlameThink.com

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 11:34:28 AM »
Hi Delholm,

Check out this Description of the Guest account in Windows XP on the MS site.

Of note:

"...By default, on computers that are running Windows XP Professional and that have not joined to a domain, all incoming network connections are forced to use the Guest account..."

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 11:27:25 AM »
Well, that explains my situation to an extent. I always disable the guest account for additional security. I will still tinker around with the settings to see if perhaps I can establish a network connection with disabled guest accounts on both ends of the connection.
FlameThink.com

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 02:31:29 PM »
Well, I tinkered around with a few more settings and discovered that enabling "Network Access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts and shares" seemed to lock out all valid network connection attempts (even when using login credentials from a local user). Upon disabling the security feature all network connection attempts were accepted.
FlameThink.com