Author Topic: French Government Honors Veteran American B-26 Pilot from WWII with Medal  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: French Government Honors Veteran American B-26 Pilot from WWII with Medal
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 08:28:19 PM »
 :rolleyes:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 11:05:12 PM »
Fair? If you think giving one soldier, one medal, 60 years after the fact is fair when so many, not just Americans but the Allies as a whole did so much to help the French and I'm not even counting all the other crap over the past 200 odd years we've, as Allies, from around the world have done to help then I guess you're about as blind as blind can be. Seven Years War, Revolutionary War, Napoleonic War, WW1, WW2, Vietnam, Gulf War 1, we've been through thick and thick. Fair? Hardly!

It's too little, too late. Sorry if you can't see it. I don't have that ability to turn a blind eye to what is obviously a token gesture that should have been rectified many, many years ago to all the brave soldiers of the Allied nations who fought and died to free France from foreign occupation.

Fair? It's an insult.
Blooz is a good example of why people not from the US (French, German, British, etc.) think Americans are arrogant.
In the list of wars you posted, what relevance are some of those wars? If you are going to list all of the wars both nations have been involved in then the French win considering they have been around much longer. Did you complain like this when the Tuskegee Airmen got medals of Honor decades later? Too little too late for how African Americans were treated by the US?

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 11:22:33 PM »
As you expect the French to be kissing our asses, do you remember to kiss theirs for the help they gave in the Revolutionary War?  Fair is fair, right?

Perfectly stated.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 01:21:35 AM »
Actually, it was the French monarch not France that sent that help to the US during the revolutionary war.

...and he sent the help because it was in his best interest to see the brits bled on foreign soil and make them lose an immense financial asset.

its ironic I'd say that the US received that help (being anti-tyranny monarchs and all that) and thanks to it the People of  France were able to overthrow their king (as aid to the US bled his treasury dry).

So.. after the fact... who helped who how?

French people under an id-care-less-about-the-masses king have their monarch empty his treasury helping the US republic who gains independence and freedom thanks to it.. and in return creates the right conditions for the Frennch to revolt and launch their own revolution : the birth of the French republic (which is the France of today for all practical reasons).

In my book the US owes thanks to a monarch (and a rather bad one at that), not the French republic or its people.

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 12:02:44 PM »
Duiker, Wes - Pilot of B-26 Marauder   :salute

"I was attending college when I enlisted in the U.S. Air Force. It was November, 1942. After two years of training in California and Texas, I graduated as a twin engine pilot 2nd Lieutenant. I met my five man crew in Louisiana and we trained together learning how to bomb and how to ditch a plane in water. We made a harrowing 30 day trip to England by way of Brazil, Ascension Island and Morocco. Our first mission was to bomb the ball bearing city of Schweinfert, Germany for General Patches 7th Army. We were a tactical support for the Army as the 42nd Bomb Wing, 17th Bomb Group, 37th Bomb Squadron. By 1945, most of the German Luftwaffe had been decimated, but they had one plane, the first jet fighter called the Messherschmitt 262. I recall one devastating flight. We were six planes flying together when I saw the number 3 and the number 6 planes hit, explode and be taken out. My tail gunner took one-half credit for that Messherschmitt.

After V-E Day our Bomb Group was split up. I was put in charge of a troop train. While in the area, I visited Dachau Concentration Camp. Later, I attended the War Crime Trials in Nuremberg. I also served in Frankfurt with the European Air Transport Command delivering the mail to the bases in Europe. In June, 1946, I arrived in New York with no fanfare and no parade, just so happy to be back on U.S. soil. I went back to school and became a psychologist. I married Bette Drymon and we had five children."

Wes Duiker, Springfield, IL

Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010, 12:10:40 PM »
In my book the US owes thanks to a monarch (and a rather bad one at that), not the French republic or its people.

Do the French need to thank American servicemen who were drafted?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 12:12:47 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 02:20:27 PM »
Thank them? Absolutely. Does the US not thank Lafayette and his likes?

You're taking my point and countering with something completely different. As a nation, the French did not aid the US it was the French Monarch (who WAS the state as he was absolute monarch) who did. When the US fought for France and its allies during both world wars & afterwards it did so as a democratic nation..aka the people were the government.

I bring this up just because some seem to keep 'score' of who helped who and in this case, the modern French republic is not the same entity (political, social,cultural or economical) as the France of the revolutionary war era. Its like saying Italy today is the same ol' Roman Empire.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010, 02:40:43 PM »
Ok, I see the genealogical point you're trying to make.  France today is not the same nation as France in the 18th century, and it wasn't a government of the people back then.  But is this so important?  I think the point some are making is that just as our ancestors fought and died for their freedom, regardless of political allegiance, so their ancestors did the same for us.

Edit: as for Lafayette, most Americans don't have a clue about who he is.  Some aren't even aware that we had help fighting the British. ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 02:43:39 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2010, 03:59:15 PM »
I think the point some are making is that just as our ancestors fought and died for their freedom, regardless of political allegiance, so their ancestors did the same for us.

That they fought and died is not in question its the 'they did the same for us' that is.

The difference is the French forces sent by the monarch were practically slave soldiers with the exception of the aristocrats (like Lafayette) who got themselves into it because in that day and age, soldiering (which for them meant command of armies not standing in front line to get shot) was practically an expected hobby of their social class. Many of the other french aristocrats that joined the american revolution were turned away by the continental army because they were incompetent glory seekers.

Lafayette is notable because he disobeyed the monarch to help the US and even paid out of his pocket to get reinforcement and aid to the colonies.

I think the best analogy I can find is if, during the civil war, two black regiments met in the field. One fighting for the slave owners, the others as freemen. Thats the difference between the US GI of ww1+ and the french foot soldier of the rev. war era. So yes, they did fight and die but it wasn't to liberate the american colonies or for freedom (which they themselves had none of), to the foot soldier it was just someone else his monarch told him to go and shoot.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 04:20:17 PM »
Right, that's my point about Americans who were drafted.  "Slave soldier" describes them perfectly.  Oh well, we each have our opinions.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2010, 06:09:30 PM »
Right, that's my point about Americans who were drafted.  "Slave soldier" describes them perfectly.  Oh well, we each have our opinions.

There is a completely baseless underground hate between the two countries, by two proud peoples. It is stupid and should not soil the accomplishments of this pilot, nor of the sacrifices made by so many on both the French and American sides.

One should wonder if the United States would have faired ANY better had it been unfortunate enough to be neighbors to such a maniac as Hitler in 1939.

As it is, let the attitude and egos go, and just salute a man who gave service and sacrifice to both our countries, and let him have his recognition no matter what you feel about it.

<S> Lt. Duiker
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
      • http://www.simpilots.org/
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2010, 06:21:21 PM »

I think your getting WW2 and Veitnam cofused.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks
Historical Air Combat Group

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 11:45:35 PM »
I think your getting WW2 and Veitnam cofused.

In 1940 Congress passed the first peace-time draft legislation, which was led by Grenville Clark. It was renewed (by one vote) in summer 1941. It involved questions as to who should control the draft, the size of the army, and the need for deferments. The system worked through local draft boards comprising community leaders who were given quotas and then decided how to fill them. There was very little draft resistance.[6]

A total of 10,110,104 men were drafted between November 1940 and October 1946, drawing from the pool of men born on or before 1927. Note that some of these individuals may have served later -- however, they received deferments initially.

Your post seems to reflect that you don't believe there was a draft in WW2.  This is not reality.  I don't know what else your post could have meant.  Also, you may be confused that "your" isn't the same as "you're".
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 12:26:01 AM by MORAY37 »
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2010, 12:14:54 AM »
Oddly enough when Americans travel abroad we're considered rude or arrogant if we don't/can't speak the native tongue, yet when many foreigners travel to the US who can't speak english we're rude and insensitive for not knowing their native tongue....

We took a trip to okinawa japan for a week when i was 18. It was a really nice place, but every time we went out there would be these old japanese

women who would yell at my mom and my brothers. We didn't know why because we hadn't even spoken to them. We finaly found a cab driver who

spoke english and we asked him one time what they were yelling about. He said "there yelling because they think she (my mom) is arrogant because

shes has 3 sons". We hadnt even thought about it. It made sense though because every where we went people would ask me (the eldest male) to pay.

Near the end my mom would just give me the money.

The point being sometimes its just that we have a different culture and things we do normally here could be considered arrogant/rude there.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."