Author Topic: Help woth making gunsights  (Read 546 times)

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
Help woth making gunsights
« on: January 16, 2010, 08:24:52 PM »
is there a maximum size to the gunsights i can make, ive got 1 that i made that is 192 kbs, and when i select it in the gunsights menu, its just a blue square
 :cry
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Re: Help woth making gunsights
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 11:00:35 PM »
Can you post it here to look at?
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 12:05:54 AM »
The gunsight model has some peculiarities. The gunsight must be a 256 color bitmap, else it shows up blank. In GIMP, this means that after I finish making the gunsight, I always must change the color mode to "indexed". I'm not sure what this is for other editors. I'm not sure about size restrictions, but the gunsight you see in game will always be the same range of sizes. Increasing the dimensions of the gunsight pic will only change the resolution.
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 02:59:39 AM »
 :salute

i made some gunsights.
First, i downloaded a gunsight pack (try to search into this forum gunsight pack).
Second, i duplicated one of them and loaded it into a painter program.
Third, i saved result as 8 bit 256 bit mapped file (same file type of the original copied file)

:salute
mobilis in mobile

Offline GreenEagle43

• Copper Member
      • http://www.dickweedhbg.com
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 10:07:21 PM »
listen to usranger. he no's what he doing.ranger is good with stuff like that.just go to the birds of pray forums.you'll see a lot of his work
Recruiting Officer GrnEagle  DHBG
Dedicated to Bish Country. 16 YEARS of BOMBER SERVICE

AN Aces High BOMBER SQUADRON. www.dickweedhbg.com

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 10:53:11 PM »
Using indexed in Gimp is basically telling the software to save in 8 bit, RGB will save in 24 or 32 bit. Ultimate paint, MSPaint, and OpenPaint should be saved in 256 color .bmp.

Both are different ways of saying 8 bit bmp....

Strup

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 11:05:54 PM »
listen to usranger. he no's what he doing.ranger is good with stuff like that.just go to the birds of pray forums.you'll see a lot of his work
Hmmmmmmm
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 05:00:28 AM »
Use a good art program, you may have one or download the free "paint.net" at: http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

1. Open a new 256 x 256 pixel 8-bit bitmap(.bmp) sheet.
2. Color it black.
3. Draw a white [X] one pixel wide from corner to corner. This will give you your center dot and a construction grid.
4. Draw anything that works for you in any color that works for your eyes including the center dot which is still white at this point.
5. Remember to zoom to about 1200% and make sure no pixels are closer than about 4-pixels to the edge of the black background.
5. When done clean up the remenants of the original white [X]. At 600-800% zoom you can do this one pixel at a time for neatness.
6. Copy it to the sites directory for the game and test it offline.
7. In the cockpit if the edges smear or streak outwards on the reflector plate, edit the file, zoom to 1200-1600% and make sure all color pixels are 4-pixels away from the black background edge.
8. Using a "Blurr" effect or sharpening the "luminosity" or both can remove the jagged edges and monochorme look to the color. But its not required.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.