Author Topic: For Military Gun Folks.  (Read 2901 times)

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: For Military Gun Folks.
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2010, 08:16:12 PM »
Interesting! Thanks.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2010, 08:17:47 PM »
Penguin, you should stop talking in this thread, I am sorry but the reality is you don't have a clue about anything being discussed here.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2010, 08:19:55 PM »
Part of the recoil of the Garand and the M14 is mitigated by the forward motion of the bolt as it returns to battery. Both riflles are also heavier than the standard bolt action hunting rifle and that help take some sting out of the recoil. I shot more than a 50 rounds from a Garand in one day and the recoil was far less noticeable than that from a Remington in .308 (7.62 nato or 7.62 x 51) with a nice recoil pad. The Garand had the normal steel recoil pad mounted.

+1

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2010, 08:26:27 PM »
Dago,

Once he stops trying to recover his weaponology cool, (that he doesn't have) he might actually learn something.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Flipperk

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2010, 08:26:41 PM »
M1 Garand was good for its day but had three serious flaws.

1. You can't top up the clip after you shoot rounds out of it.

2. You must empty the clip of all eight rounds and eject the clip before you can reload.

3. When you fire the last round, the loud "PLING" noise the clip makes announces to the whole world that you're out of ammo!

This last one was actually used for the Americans...If you are out of ammo then the enemy would jump up and start shooting...well in WWII about 4 or 5 guys would purposly empty their clips and then the germans would think they were out of ammo...well to their surprise about 10 other guys would be waiting for them to jump up and shoot them!

It is 2 Cents or .02 Dollars...NOT .02 Cents!

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2010, 09:47:59 PM »
This might interest you gents (though they are chinese clones): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf6zKwuak0c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_eEW0WRi3g

Offline ariansworld

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2010, 09:50:46 PM »
I just bought a 308 enfield today for $200 at cabela's....... let me tell you somethng. I made off like a bandit because the thing is a tack driver.  It is a 1968 enfield a2.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2010, 10:30:19 PM »
Dago,

Once he stops trying to recover his weaponology cool, (that he doesn't have) he might actually learn something.

Maverick, you made a couple really good and informative posts, maybe you are helping him learn.   :aok
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2010, 10:57:33 PM »
Part of the recoil of the Garand and the M14 is mitigated by the forward motion of the bolt as it returns to battery. Both riflles are also heavier than the standard bolt action hunting rifle and that help take some sting out of the recoil. I shot more than a 50 rounds from a Garand in one day and the recoil was far less noticeable than that from a Remington in .308 (7.62 nato or 7.62 x 51) with a nice recoil pad. The Garand had the normal steel recoil pad mounted.

Yes, the heavier rifles will eat more energy, reducing felt recoil. However, both the Garand and the M14 are gas operated. The gas system bleeds off some gas from the barrel to cycle the action. This also eats energy. They have "softer" systems, whereas the bolt action rifle transfers all of the energy right into the stock.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2010, 11:14:20 PM »
I learnt to shoot on the standard British Army Lee Enfield Mk.IV 0.303". Splendid weapon.

:old:
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2010, 12:16:37 AM »
Disagree... I've fired several M14s as well as the CETME 58, H&K G3A3 and FN FAL. None of these kick as sharply as a bolt action shooting the same cartridge.

My regards,

Widewing

My older brother is in ARNG airborne, who has fired the FN FAL as well as a plethora of other weapons.. He said it was the loudest gun he's ever fired, I'm curious as to what your comments are on that statement?
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2010, 12:17:38 AM »
I learnt to shoot on the standard British Army Lee Enfield Mk.IV 0.303". Splendid weapon.

:old:

I've never seen a lee Enfield with my own eyes, but from the pictures she sure is a beauty. I would love to shoot one sometime  :aok
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2010, 12:29:29 AM »
I have fired a M1 and a M14............Ill stick with my M4 and all the stuff you can put on it :D

The M4 I used here in the ROK had the M203 with a CCO, great weapon never had any problems with it and shot expert everytime :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2010, 12:34:40 AM »
Shifty, is the M14 your son bought a Springfield M1A?  I had one for a bit.  I was surprised how heavy the thing was.  Beautiful rifle, but I went back to the AR-15.

Is your Garand a new one or does it have some history to it?

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2010, 02:09:49 AM »
 :furious :furious :furious

Damn! Mine (M1) and my dads (M14) dream guns.
No one knows what the future may bring.