Author Topic: For Military Gun Folks.  (Read 2921 times)

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Re: For Military Gun Folks.
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2010, 02:27:24 AM »
Shifty, is the M14 your son bought a Springfield M1A?  I had one for a bit.  I was surprised how heavy the thing was.  Beautiful rifle, but I went back to the AR-15.

I have both, just in case :D

Shifty, awsome rifles! We should go shoot one of these days.

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2010, 05:21:35 AM »
My older brother is in ARNG airborne, who has fired the FN FAL as well as a plethora of other weapons.. He said it was the loudest gun he's ever fired, I'm curious as to what your comments are on that statement?
I was in the Irish army reserve and at the time, we used both the Lee Enfield .303 and the FN FAL. I can vouch for the fact that the FN is extremely loud with a strong cracking sound. Particularly on the range when you were firing alongside others without ear protection. The strange thing was that it was always your left ear that was affected most because the ejection slot of the rifle of the guy on your left was facing you. Your own rifle didn't affect you as much.  I think the loudness is as much to do with the larger 7.62 round compared to the more common modern 5.56 these days.

As for the kick, well compared to the .303s we were used to. It was nothing. I remember coming home from range practice black and blue from the recoil. I even heard of someone breaking a collar bone. We often used to place our berets under out tunics to absorb some of the recoil. Of course as we got experience, it was less sore as we toughened up.

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2010, 05:41:19 AM »
Incidentally on that note. I recently came across this picture on the net. It's the unofficial website of modern unit that absorbed my old Battalion. The handsome figure nearest the camera is me. By way of explanation, this was the late seventies, hence the hair. I can't remember why I'm in shirt sleeve order but wearing combat trousers. I think I may have be on duty in the Officers mess that day as a waiter but went to the range as well. But as I mentioned above there's the beret tucked under my shoulder strap to absorb some of the recoil. In my defence, I might add that was only the second time I fired the thing and it was recruit camp.

Offline Flipperk

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2010, 06:20:26 AM »
Incidentally on that note. I recently came across this picture on the net. It's the unofficial website of modern unit that absorbed my old Battalion. The handsome figure nearest the camera is me. (Image removed from quote.) By way of explanation, this was the late seventies, hence the hair. I can't remember why I'm in shirt sleeve order but wearing combat trousers. I think I may have be on duty in the Officers mess that day as a waiter but went to the range as well. But as I mentioned above there's the beret tucked under my shoulder strap to absorb some of the recoil. In my defence, I might add that was only the second time I fired the thing and it was recruit camp.

I dont see it..
It is 2 Cents or .02 Dollars...NOT .02 Cents!

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2010, 06:54:03 AM »
You're one of the lucky ones :D

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2010, 07:04:25 AM »
Shifty, is the M14 your son bought a Springfield M1A?  I had one for a bit.  I was surprised how heavy the thing was.  Beautiful rifle, but I went back to the AR-15.

Is your Garand a new one or does it have some history to it?

I'm not sure about the M-14 Dan. Thomas wasn't here long with it  I barely had time to snap the picture of it.  :lol I'll ask him as soon as I talk to him.
As far as my Garand, it'sa newer one not used in WWII or Korea. Like the M-14 the M-1 is also very heavy when you consider that people were basically smaller back in WW II you wonder how those guys carried it around all day every day. Also Widewing and Maverick's post about the gas operation and weight of the weapon eating some of the energy out of the kick is spot on. The Garand shoots very smoothly, my wife loves to fire it. Where as she hates to shoot my 12 gauge pump. I had to buy her a 20 gauge semi for our clay pigeon plinking.

I have both, just in case :D

Shifty, awsome rifles! We should go shoot one of these days.

I'm all for it Slash. :aok  In fact we live so close to each other it's a shame we haven't at least met for a beer after all these years.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 07:07:54 AM by Shifty »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2010, 08:13:43 AM »
My older brother is in ARNG airborne, who has fired the FN FAL as well as a plethora of other weapons.. He said it was the loudest gun he's ever fired, I'm curious as to what your comments are on that statement?

Anything shooting 7.62x51 out of a 16" barrel will be extremely loud. The most impressive noise I ever heard out of a 7.62x51 battle rifle was the Mk17 SCAR-H with a 13" barrel. The muzzle flash was awe inspiring as well.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2010, 08:17:23 AM »
I was surprised how heavy the thing was. 

In the UNC Honor Guard we had little comps to see who can spin the M14 the longest, they are pretty heavy but not that bad
 :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline rstel01

• Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2010, 08:20:47 AM »
Wow! There are some absolutley silly comments about the M1 here. Sorry, playing Call of Duty on your X-Box doesn't really count for M1 experience.

To the op, awesome to have both and welcome to the Garand club. The more you shoot it, the more you become a Garand-a-holic :aok Just remember, the Garand eats 150gr M2 Mil ammo only! It's not a Springfield, using higher Grain or higher powder/different powders with different burn rates besides IMR 4895 family will eventually damage it. You will eventually bend the Op-Rod handle. You can get around this by running a Schuster Gas Bleed (it replaces the standard gas plug) which then allows you run up to a roughly a 180gr bullet.  

The best source of Garand Ammo is the CMP (Civilan Marksmanship Program), if your not yet set up as a authorized buyer do it! The savings in Ammo alone is worth it. They are the last source for the Spam Cans 1960's-1970's Greek HXP M2 ammo already preloaded in the En-Blocs. Greece and South Korea were the last countries to use the M1 in its original configuration. Korean M2 is also availibile (and good) but, I havent seen it availible in bulk for some time. The big bonus is the HXP Greek Ammo is pre-loaded it is in good true Mil-Spec En-Bloc's already. For the most part the En-Bloc's you can buy today are Chinese crap steel which may cause a mis-feed or even early ejection.

For real fun, try and pick up some of our Army's Lake City Match Ammo. You usually can find it a better Gun Shows running around $20-30 for a box of 20. It's a waste for shorter distances and plinking but, take your Garand to a 500 yard range and blow your mind! Congrats to you and your son and enjoy!

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2010, 08:33:14 AM »
I have fired a M1 and a M14............Ill stick with my M4 and all the stuff you can put on it :D
(Image removed from quote.)
The M4 I used here in the ROK had the M203 with a CCO, great weapon never had any problems with it and shot expert everytime :salute

Colt's M4 is a good rifle. It does require a major upgrade to remain competitive. Colt has an entirely new gas system for the next generation. Colt has already tested it for commonality with our shot counter. This new piston-type gas system will make the rifle far more reliable in dusty, sandy environments. Also, the H&K 416, FN Mk16 SCAR L and the Remington ACR are all better weapons than the current M4. Of all of these, I believe that the ACR (Adaptive Combat Rifle) is the best. One of the above (revised M4, H&K 416, SCAR L or ACR) WILL replace the current issue M4 in the next 6 to 10 years. All of the weapons have the various picatinny rails that will accommodate all of the hardware that you can now fit to the M4.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2010, 08:40:29 AM »
Colt's M4 is a good rifle. It does require a major upgrade to remain competitive. Colt has an entirely new gas system for the next generation. Colt has already tested it for commonality with our shot counter. This new piston-type gas system will make the rifle far more reliable in dusty, sandy environments. Also, the H&K 416, FN Mk16 SCAR L and the Remington ACR are all better weapons than the current M4. Of all of these, I believe that the ACR (Adaptive Combat Rifle) is the best. One of the above (revised M4, H&K 416, SCAR L or ACR) WILL replace the current issue M4 in the next 6 to 10 years. All of the weapons have the various picatinny rails that will accommodate all of the hardware that you can now fit to the M4.

My regards,

Widewing
They are gunna take some time to hit the Infantry divisions, I havnt got a chance to use or see them in person so I have no clue about them :salute
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline rstel01

• Copper Member
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2010, 08:44:22 AM »
You'll also find the truth regarding the "Greatest Battle Implement" statement to be true if you have any of its contemporaries

Thats my WW2 Shooter Collection, took about 17 years to really get them as it is the main battle rifle for every main WW2 Combatant.
The prerequisite was to be un-mutilated, all headstamps and markings complete (Including German "Nazi" Waffenmat and Japanese Imperial Chrysanthemum). They all had to be built in 39-45.
The Top is my 44 Built Springfield M-1 Garand
Next is 1943 Mosin Nagant M44
Then 1943  Mk IV Lee Enfield
Then 1941 Mauser 98K
And Finally 1944 Arisika Type 99
Shooting and owning each for real, tells you allot about each country. Hands down, the one rifle you would want to carry into for real no bs Combat is the M1. I love the M-14, I carried one for real in the Military (US Navy kept them into the late 80's), I have an M1A but, prefer the M1. The true M-14 (which you can never buy since its a Class 3) is uncontrolable in full auto. M4 or any AR-15/M-16 Family is not realibile and 5.56 is too light. For a no-shi@ Zombie Apocalypse gun it would be a toss up between the M1 and AK-47  

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2010, 08:58:45 AM »
Nice rifles in the OP, and Nice rifles above too.  :aok
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2010, 09:12:24 AM »
They are gunna take some time to hit the Infantry divisions, I havnt got a chance to use or see them in person so I have no clue about them :salute

Oh yes, it will take quite a while to filter down to the infantry. Both SCARs are now in low rate production, but these are designated for SOCOM. Some Special Forces units already were equipped with the H&K 416, but now some Army Brass is demanding that they give them up for M4s (you can't fix stupid, at any command level).

Politics, both in the military and in Washington is the obstacle at this point. A shoot-off between the various rifles could be done within 6 months, but the politics get in the way. I'm not a fan of FN for various reasons. H&K's 416 is little more than an M4 with a revised upper receiver and gas system. Colt's design is very similar to the H&K. Personally, I like the ACR. It was designed by MAGPUL Industries, sold to Bushmaster who has partnered with Remington. It's a wonderful rifle and like the M4, it's US designed and manufactured. Everyone I know who has had a chance to play with the ACR would trade the M4 in for it in a second.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2010, 09:19:10 AM »
Oh yes, it will take quite a while to filter down to the infantry. Both SCARs are now in low rate production, but these are designated for SOCOM. Some Special Forces units already were equipped with the H&K 416, but now some Army Brass is demanding that they give them up for M4s (you can't fix stupid, at any command level).

Politics, both in the military and in Washington is the obstacle at this point. A shoot-off between the various rifles could be done within 6 months, but the politics get in the way. I'm not a fan of FN for various reasons. H&K's 416 is little more than an M4 with a revised upper receiver and gas system. Colt's design is very similar to the H&K. Personally, I like the ACR. It was designed by MAGPUL Industries, sold to Bushmaster who has partnered with Remington. It's a wonderful rifle and like the M4, it's US designed and manufactured. Everyone I know who has had a chance to play with the ACR would trade the M4 in for it in a second.

My regards,

Widewing
Oh lord dont get me started talking about the command in the Army, I may end up in some crap hole duty station, jk I like how they are putting more money towards training this year instead of upgraded weapon systems :salute
DFC Member
"Yikes"