Author Topic: A little something I did this morning.  (Read 8180 times)

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
Re: A little something I did this morning.
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2010, 01:08:56 PM »
Yes, Ive repeated all of the steps three times but I get stuck on erasing water. Ive set the depth slider to land, the button on "erase water", and the brush slider to the right.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 01:12:32 PM by shotgunneeley »
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2010, 01:25:32 PM »
Yes, Ive repeated all of the steps three times but I get stuck on erasing water. Ive set the depth slider to land, the button on "erase water", and the brush slider to the right.

When you did this, did your cursor turn into an eraser instead of a brush? It should have. If it's an arrow, click the "Terrain" tab, then click back to the "Water" tab and see what the cursor looks like.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2010, 03:06:41 PM »
no luck, the cursor is still in the form of the normal pointer/arrow. I turned on the Grid, Cell Overlay On, and Snap buttons. Next I went to the "water" tab and moved the depth slider to land, checked the "erase water" button, and moved the brush slider to the right. My mouse is not changing at all when I move it across the editor window, I don't know what could be wrong. 

Its also not saving. I opened the ahiiterr/test/test.oba file and got just a large map of water like i was supposed to. But when I try to save and re-open it just brings up the original body of water with none of the changes I have made leading up to my problem.
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2010, 08:23:03 PM »
Anyone finish the tutorial and the test terrain yet?

Lets see some of your work.

:salute
midi

I have to say mrmidi I spent several hours before trying to figure out the terrain editor before and had zero luck with it and with this tutorial I am starting to feel pretty confident in my abilities. I know there is still alot to learn but after reading through your tutuorial and the practice from following it I think I have the basics down well enough to tackle learning to use some of the other aspects.

I haven't gotten through the CV section of the last section of your tutorial but here is my test terrain up to that point.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/iznmmmiogic/test.res

For all those that have thought of using the TE but got scared off right after downloading, you need to take the tutorial from here and follow through it step by step and it will most likely become pretty clear and less scary.

Thanks so much mrmidi
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2010, 09:55:24 PM »
 excellent job dkff49  :aok
I went thru and checked all your spawn points, and country settings, are all correct.

Get your CV's and way points in there and you are well on your way to getting a handle on the TE.

The more you work with the very basic concepts of it the easier it becomes to do all the
other  things we create on the Terrain Team. Glad I was able to help you get beyond the initial
shock most people go through when first looking at the TE. Keep up the good work.  :salute

shotgunneeley I haven't forgotten you...I just can't seem to duplicate the problem you are having.
Can you post a screen shot of your editor and the settings you have selected when you are at the water tab?

midi
In charge of nothing.
C.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
It is what it is!

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2010, 08:27:10 AM »
Thanks mrmidi.

One other question though.

Am I the only one who's computer gives the "Terrain Editor has caused an error and has to shut down" message sometimes while trying to build the terrain?

This does not happen all the time but when I build a terrain for the first time (testing) and occasionally after that. I haven't found any rhyme or reason to it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 09:27:56 AM by dkff49 »
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2010, 01:16:44 PM »
No your not alone in that. It happens to me some times to, especially after working with Photo Shop and the Terrain Editor a lot at one time.

midi
In charge of nothing.
It is what it is!

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2010, 01:45:22 PM »
that makes feel a little better then. the nice thing is it still builds the terrain into the .res file it just shuts down right after.

thanks again midi

Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2010, 02:28:12 PM »
I've found that whenever I save, and then build the terrain, it crashes the TE.

To prevent it, just reopen the oba file first. :old:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2010, 04:30:38 PM »
For some reason the "attach files" feature in the "additional options" has been disabled. I cant figure out how to enable it.  :headscratch: As soon as I do Ill post a screen pic of the terrain editor.

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2010, 02:02:34 AM »
Is there a way to remove a terrain type after putting on?

I was trying to layout a terrain to get the basic shape of it and after saving it so that I could make the clipboard map that I had something pretty far out of place. I really don't want to have to redo the whole thing for a line that is only about a sector in length but I don't think I can leave it where it is either.

Thanks for all your help guys.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2010, 06:46:51 AM »
Not sure I understand what you asking.

Do you mean you have some land some where and you want to remove it?

Or you have a terrain type of grass, or farm or something and you want to change it to some thing else.

If you want to remove some land you have placed in the terrain, you can just draw water over
it in the water tab. Instead of selecting the erase water select draw water, and the depth to deep.

If it's a tile type like grass and you want it to be farm, then under the terrain tab select the type you want and paint over
the one you want to replace.

midi
In charge of nothing.
It is what it is!

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2010, 08:43:04 AM »
I was actually searching for the first, try to remove land after I put it on. I did exactly what you said and it still shows as land on my clipboard map. I guess I will have to wait until I can build the terrain to see if it is actually still there or not.

Thanks again Midi

Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline DarkHawk

• Copper Member
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2010, 08:57:26 AM »
dkff49, you well need to rebuild your clip board map to remove the
erase land, only way to do that.

DarkHawk
49DHawk
XO for BOWL (DHawk)

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2010, 09:23:04 AM »
I did that too and it is still there.

I actually just threw some bases on there to see what was out there and found that the land is under the water but it still shows on the clipboard map.

Thanks for trying Darkhawk
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 09:25:18 AM by dkff49 »
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave