Author Topic: .speed questions  (Read 1061 times)

Offline AKHog

• Nickel Member
.speed questions
« on: January 18, 2010, 05:45:27 PM »
Sorry if this is the wrong forum or has been talked about before. I tried the search but apparently the '.' part of .speed gets left off, so the results are too much to sort through.

I'm wondering what the default .speed is, and what is it based on? Is it a best climb speed, and if so is it Vx or Vy?
The journey is the destination.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: .speed questions
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 06:56:44 PM »
I believe it's just 160 for all fighter and 120 for all bombers or something like that.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 01:19:05 AM »
I believe it's just 160 for all fighter and 120 for all bombers or something like that.

hmmm I always thought it was the best climb speed / rate for each individual aircraft type....... whether it is a fighter or a bomber .......

hitting ALt X will show you what the default   climbspeed is for each individual aircraft you fly, AKHog 

can anyone concur?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 01:23:19 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 06:38:36 AM »
TC is correct, it is set to that airplanes best default climb speed.

In bombers can range from 130 up, Fighters most often in the 140 - 170 range.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 01:45:44 PM »
If I set a different .speed for a particular aircraft will it default back to the default speed or does it stay where I set it?
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 02:47:25 PM »
It resets after you end flight. Also with combat trim OFF its a good idea to set climb speed for corner speed before you start a fight and then manually trim after that.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 03:26:40 PM »
It resets after you end flight. Also with combat trim OFF its a good idea to set climb speed for corner speed before you start a fight and then manually trim after that.

could you expand on this further please, Sir?  I have never heard this before...... I am curious
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline stran

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 04:06:37 PM »

it doesn't matter what speed you start using manual trim as long as you are trim. are you saying you always enter a fight at that specific speed?
Squash

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 04:18:53 PM »

I fail to see how setting .speed is going to effect anything...unless you left out letting your airplane attain that speed so that it is trimmed for that speed.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 05:39:26 PM »
Okay I wasnt clear I guess. Set the speed for corner speed for your plane let the plane accelerate to that speed and then hit alt-x and let the plane settle to that speed before you get to combat. This is more handy in the faster planes than it is in a Brew for instance.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline AKHog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 11:27:06 PM »
TC is correct, it is set to that airplanes best default climb speed.

Best? Best rate, or best angle?
The journey is the destination.

Offline stran

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 11:50:50 PM »
Best? Best rate, or best angle?
those two go hand in hand.
Squash

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 01:06:23 AM »

Not in R/L.  Best angle (Vx) will be a lower airspeed than best rate(Vy).  The Best rate airspeed will decrease with altitude (around 2 mph/thousand feet) until Vx and Vy meet.
Columbo

Offline stran

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 03:07:15 AM »
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 03:17:22 AM by stran »
Squash

Offline AKHog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 07:26:41 AM »

No, they don't.