Author Topic: for the new players  (Read 11273 times)

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
Re: for the new players
« Reply #165 on: January 30, 2010, 02:36:19 AM »
Wreked and Thorsim,

A little golfing analogy - I like golf

You're a fresh faced noob golf professional standing on the tee with Ernie Els , and you delberately rip the velcro on your glove in the middle of his backswing every time he swings . When he complains do you explain to him that there's nothing in the rules of golf preventing you from doing that , and he should just put up with it from now on, as you will be playing the game how you want to play it.
I come from a land downunder

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2010, 02:52:05 AM »
another assumption ...

we are not fresh faced noobs ...

we do not work for the ho

we do not fly FMs that lend themselves to mindless, butt sniffing, tail chases

when a shot is presented to us we take it ...

we too get annoyed with the HOs

however we are not here suggesting that everyone who does not fly as we do sucks, or doesn't know anything about anything.

are we ? 

+S+

t

Wreked and Thorsim,

A little golfing analogy - I like golf

You're a fresh faced noob golf professional standing on the tee with Ernie Els , and you delberately rip the velcro on your glove in the middle of his backswing every time he swings . When he complains do you explain to him that there's nothing in the rules of golf preventing you from doing that , and he should just put up with it from now on, as you will be playing the game how you want to play it.

THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #167 on: January 30, 2010, 02:58:08 AM »
Sorry Thor but S3 is during a monday afternoon for me otherwise I would have been involved years ago.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #168 on: January 30, 2010, 03:41:55 AM »
Thorsim

I'm not talking about anyone's plane choices or flying style (where did I say anything about that ?) - each to their own, Bnz, E-fight , turnfight , whatever grabs you. Idgaf. My only advice/plea to new players would be to learn some ACM and how to apply it, and that if you show some respect to other players and the "game" they are playing , you might get some back.

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #169 on: January 30, 2010, 09:51:21 AM »
Sorry Thor but S3 is during a monday afternoon for me otherwise I would have been involved years ago.

that is too bad they really are well done ... what time do you fly mostly?
Axis Co-Op
blah blah Blah
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #170 on: January 30, 2010, 10:24:48 AM »
Thorsim

I'm not talking about anyone's plane choices or flying style (where did I say anything about that ?) - each to their own, Bnz, E-fight , turnfight , whatever grabs you. Idgaf. My only advice/plea to new players would be to learn some ACM and how to apply it, and that if you show some respect to other players and the "game" they are playing , you might get some back.

i tend to agree however ...

i am sorry but i know wrecked and i would be surprised if any lack of respect you may have gleamed from him is not something he is returning and unlike me it is probably far less than equal measure ...

i do not intend to offend and i believe we have met in the arenas and i have found you to be a good and pleasant opponent, so these comments are probably not best included in an exchange with you so please do not take any of this personally ...

we come here as event focused players used to teamwork in an event focused squad and that type of play in the MAs here tends to generate a fair amount of hostility.  for example when a teammate appears to be in trouble we are prone to help, to our amazement we were criticized and ridiculed for that.  it generates ill will and since for us events are still our focus i do not see much change in our play style coming soon.  now we won't be hostile to people, we don't hold grudges overlong, and bridges can always be rebuilt, for example i did some fighting with BnZ and a bunch of other players in the Bulge event to all our benefits. now BnZ and i have disagreed frequently on these boards yet in the event to our credit we worked together without reservation and i think that helped our relationship everywhere else.

our guys are starting to get used to asking if someone is in need of help when they are not pretty sure about it, however we will tend to fly together and that will not likely change.  that is because that is how we approach the games, we do not insist that everyone flies like that, and we don't usually respond to every criticism, but i can't expect my squad to be either completely silent in the face of the hostility they attract for working in a focused manner geared towards team and squad event success, or expect them to be terribly impressed with those who do not use teamwork as part of their fighting style and then harass those who do when they loose.  

so when a team mate is in trouble we will help as my guys are trained that keeping you buddy alive is much more important than any perceived etiquette that a minority is trying to force on the rest of us, and that includes HOs if that is available.

i am sorry if that does not play into the lone wolf attitudes of some, but i did notice a well populated dueling arena  available to those who wish to explore personal air combat.

+S+

no offense meant

t  
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 10:27:01 AM by thorsim »
Axis Co-Op
blah blah Blah

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #171 on: January 30, 2010, 10:30:03 AM »
You say rude. I say teamwork.

It all depends on you're perspective. I'm not so full of myself to think it's "kill stealing". If you can kill the guy faster than me, go for it! There's plenty of reds to go around for everybody.

It's going to happen so why not just accept it as a positive thing?

This sentiment has likely already been expressed in these dozen pages, but if I've invested a bunch of time and effort into putting some poor slob in a position that I might thwack him (not talking about an 'emergency'--i.e. saving cv, etc)...having some johnny-come-lately in his Lgay swoop in and pop my quarry REALLY hacks me off. It is the equivalent stealing someone's work. And no...it is NOT enough for me to know the guy is dead. (Well...unless it's Falcnwng, of course :D)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #172 on: January 30, 2010, 11:54:23 AM »
This sentiment has likely already been expressed in these dozen pages, but if I've invested a bunch of time and effort into putting some poor slob in a position that I might thwack him (not talking about an 'emergency'--i.e. saving cv, etc)...having some johnny-come-lately in his Lgay swoop in and pop my quarry REALLY hacks me off. It is the equivalent stealing someone's work. And no...it is NOT enough for me to know the guy is dead. (Well...unless it's Falcnwng, of course :D)

You can't control how someone else flies. You can control how you fly and shoot. If someone gets between you and your target (and it will happen someday) either by accident, trying to help or on purpose, all you can do is keep cool, don't hit the "friend" with bullets and see how things turn out. If you get hot headed and continue to press your attack you've got a great chance of killshooting yourself and starting a thread just like this one to blame the other guy instead of blaming yourself for killshooting yourself.

I'd rather have people working together to kill the enemy rather than produce useless ettiquette rules that make people hesitate in a fight. You want your glorious 1 vs 1 go to the DA or TA. That's what it's for. Air combat is a team sport and in the MA's I'd rather see people helping each other kill the enemy rather than waiting to see what happens because they're afraid of breaking some silly made up "rule".
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 11:56:08 AM by Blooz »
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #173 on: January 30, 2010, 10:05:53 PM »
I was told by one of the guys that he only played to piss other people off and the more he pissed someone of the more fun it was for him.
I understand its their $15 a month but really why play for that reason?
It's called "Sociopath". Indian proverb- "We have two wolves inside us. The one we feed becomes the strongest and will kill the weaker one. Don't feed the bad wolf!"
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline Demetrious

• Copper Member
« Reply #174 on: January 31, 2010, 04:37:05 AM »
Tactically speaking, you are more useful if you maintain your E and alertness in preparation to engage new incoming bandits than swooping in on a bandit whose demise is imminent. Also, you are less of a  jerk.

There was this German chap who said pretty much the same thing, put it in something he called the "Dicta." I'm sure it's insignificant though, which is why nobody pays attention to 'em anyways.  :bolt:

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #175 on: January 31, 2010, 08:07:05 AM »
You can't control how someone else flies. You can control how you fly and shoot. If someone gets between you and your target (and it will happen someday) either by accident, trying to help or on purpose, all you can do is keep cool, don't hit the "friend" with bullets and see how things turn out. If you get hot headed and continue to press your attack you've got a great chance of killshooting yourself and starting a thread just like this one to blame the other guy instead of blaming yourself for killshooting yourself.

I'd rather have people working together to kill the enemy rather than produce useless ettiquette rules that make people hesitate in a fight. You want your glorious 1 vs 1 go to the DA or TA. That's what it's for. Air combat is a team sport and in the MA's I'd rather see people helping each other kill the enemy rather than waiting to see what happens because they're afraid of breaking some silly made up "rule".

A wing pair dissecting an enemy plane can be a great thing to watch , 6 ppl diving from 10k on to a low con in the name of "teamwork" is not.

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #176 on: January 31, 2010, 10:55:28 AM »
A wing pair dissecting an enemy plane can be a great thing to watch , 6 ppl diving from 10k on to a low con in the name of "teamwork" is not.

Of course but you still see it all the time.

Common sense and tactics is a different story.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #177 on: January 31, 2010, 11:49:33 AM »
another assumption ...

we are not fresh faced noobs ...

we do not work for the ho

we do not fly FMs that lend themselves to mindless, butt sniffing, tail chases

when a shot is presented to us we take it ...

we too get annoyed with the HOs

however we are not here suggesting that everyone who does not fly as we do sucks, or doesn't know anything about anything.

are we ? 

+S+

t

Some fly this game for the fights and competition... others just fly for the kill. Flying for the kill is much easier.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #178 on: January 31, 2010, 11:54:09 AM »
How do you insist that it the guys fault that kill shot himself. What responsibility does the tard have?   For the most part "those guys"   can not even come close to getting  the six or guns untill the guy u say is to blame reversed him.   Their allways the ones that cant figure out how there getting vulched on the runway.  

Boooooooooooo on your mentality.
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #179 on: January 31, 2010, 02:17:32 PM »

I just can't see you guys trying to impose another silly etiquette for something that not only happens infrequently but when it does happen, it's probably an accident.

It happens. Get over it.

Happens ALL THE TIME. Don't like it but just accept it as part of the game. Lets turn off killshooter  :x
Tour 70 2005 to present