Author Topic: Just so you know...  (Read 927 times)

Offline stephen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Just so you know...
« on: January 23, 2010, 04:06:06 PM »
In WW1 targeting of one's guns effectivly differd from WW2 demands where dogfighting is concernd...
Unlike the World War 2 set of aircraft we are used to, no fuel or armement was stored in the wings, (outside of the odd bomb) on "most" aircraft in ww1.
Especialy, dont expect an easy kill by bareling past an enemy at excesive speed, and landing a dozen rounds on the his wing...,
You might not like it when your enemy continues to fight, seemingly un-affected.

In short, the "sweet spot" is going to be either the pilot himself (whom was provided niether the armor to defend against either enemy fire, nor a parachute to escape the conseqences of damage to his own aircraft in most cases,) or the esential mechanical components that drive his aircraft,(the engine/fuel systems)...

Simply put..., WW1 tactics call for sustaind fire on the center mass' of an apponent, instead of the wings which where rugged in thier simplicity, and require far too much damage to waste ammo on.

I look forward to the update, and I cant wait to learn a couple new tricks in aircraft with a wholy diffrent level of performance than im used too...

I've played alot of simulators in my day, but Aces High allways draws me back because of the great flight modeling, and attention to community that the staff show, Thank you HT and crew for the Update, and here's to your game surviving another 1000 updates... <S> :aok
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 04:11:25 PM by stephen »
Spell checker is for Morrons

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Just so you know...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 04:11:30 PM »
In WW1 targeting of one's guns effectivly differd from WW2 demands where dogfighting is concernd...
Unlike the World War 2 set of aircraft we are used to, no fuel or armement was stored in the wings, (outside of the odd bomb) on "most" aircraft in ww1.
Especialy, dont expect an easy kill by bareling past an enemy at excesive speed, and landing a dozen rounds on the his wing...,
You might not like it when your enemy continues to fight, seemingly un-affected.

In short, the "sweet spot" is going to be either the pilot himself (whom was provided niether the armor to defend against either enemy fire, nor a parachute to escape the conseqences of damage to his own aircraft in most cases,) or the esential mechanical components that drive his aircraft,(the engine/fuel systems)...

Simply put..., WW1 tactics call for sustaind fire on the center mass' of an apponent, instead of the wings which where rugged in thier simplicity, and require far too much damage to waste ammo on.

I look forward to the update, and I cant wait to learn a couple new tricks on a wholy diffrent level.
I've played alot of simulators in my day, but Aces High allways draws me back because of the great flight modeling, and attention to community that the staff show.

Thank you HT and crew for the Update, and here's to your game surviving another 1000 updates... <S> :aok
I think it wont take more ammo to get a kill, I think it should be harder to land that ammo on your opponent :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 04:27:41 PM »
my experience with DoA, if your not killing the engine or the pilot your throwing bullets away.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 04:32:43 PM »
I recall breaking wings off from time to time but that was with alot of hits.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline A8EJay

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 06:16:19 PM »
Man.......  I can't wait.  Reading this stuff makes it worse. :x  Rather it take longer and be up to the standards im used to with this game than rush it out though..  Never really thought of where to shoot these WW1 planes, works for me though i usually aim for center of the plane unless they're buffs.  Guess i'll go fly a Fokker on the RC sim.   :rock :airplane:

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 01:07:19 PM »
I think it wont take more ammo to get a kill, I think it should be harder to land that ammo on your opponent :salute

Hey Junky, my kite can kick you kite's butt!  :D
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 06:57:23 AM »
Hey Junky, my kite can kick you kite's butt!  :D
HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAH!!!!!!!
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 08:42:19 AM »
In short, the "sweet spot" is going to be either the pilot himself (whom was provided niether the armor to defend against either enemy fire...

This is actually untrue.

Sitting on and/or in front of something as simple as a boiler plate or cast-iron stove door was fairly common by war's end.

Same basic mindset as UH-1 drivers sitting on their helmets and flak jackets in Vietnam.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 03:55:50 PM »
I wonder if oil use will be doubled like fuel burn rate..  considering many (I think) ww1 rides had a "terminal" oil supply..

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
I'm ready for it. I went as far as downloading targetwares richtofens skies.
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 05:51:17 PM »
Aim for the pilot you say?  No problem, I've been practicing my pilot snipes and taking notes from Grizz's tater/ballistics posts.  :D
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.