Author Topic: My new puppy  (Read 5765 times)

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
Re: My new puppy
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2010, 01:07:41 PM »
She's 10 yrs old.  She had parvo as a pup but got over it.  Vet said she couldn't get it again.  She's not acting sick, and she's drinking water just fine.  On the vet's reccomendation I took away her food for today.  She's still passing some blood, but nothing like this morning.  I'm wondering if a rawhide treat didn't cause a cut in her lower intestine, hence inflammation and the diarrhea.  The blood is really bright red, indicating that the issue is in the lower part of the GI tract.  I'm keeping a real close eye on her today, and if anything changes I'll be driving 100 mph to the emergency vet.  Oddly enough, when I just took her out, she wanted to play the snowball game (when I throw snowballs in the air and she runs to catch them).  So she's still as active as normal.  I'm (optimistically) taking that as a good sign.

AAJagerX
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2010, 01:09:40 PM »
Yeah Jager, you need to keep a CLOSE eye on her. My parent's evil dog that hated all of us died about 8 years ago from something like that. We were playing around in the house, and then all of a sudden the whole house started to smell like death, I went to see where the dog was, and there was a huge blotch of bloody diarrhea. My parents took her to the vet the next day and she had to be put to rest, but that dog was 18 or 20 years old, so that may have been one of the deciding factors.

Ruler, that kinda sounds like she had some sort of necrotic infection (hence the death smell).  I'm no vet though.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2010, 02:19:04 PM »
Jager....is she going to the toilet (stool) without looking constipated?.....I ask this because, Jock has this issue with swallowing bones whole...twice he has done this. He now only gets huge canon bones....He would play fine but when he was just walking about he would be slightly hunched in his Hind quarter...when he tried to go toilet he would struggle as if constipated and pass fluid/blood. this was obviously due to the bone getting stuck in the line and being too big to pass but with his attempts it would try and get more and more embedded into his lining causing cuts and bleeding. It required surgery to remove one, and the other was lots of munched up shards which when they relaxed him they were able to remove without invasive surgery. Your thought about the rawhide bone could be correct...those should breakdown after a little bit or at least soften to allow it to pass.....just keep an eye and perhaps an X-ray.....   Hope you find a solution...it is a horrible feeling not knowing how to fix the pain of your pet

Lesson I learned,,  was never give a dog cooked bones....they break into slivers of vet bills....
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 02:23:24 PM by SPKmes »

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2010, 03:54:35 PM »
I have a question, what does death smell like?  And how do you know the first time that you smell it?

-Penguin

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2010, 05:54:02 PM »
I have a question, what does death smell like?  And how do you know the first time that you smell it?

-Penguin

I meant smelled like death as in the turd, it stunk up the whole house and was so potent it would gag you.

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2010, 07:29:01 PM »
Jager....is she going to the toilet (stool) without looking constipated?.....I ask this because, Jock has this issue with swallowing bones whole...twice he has done this. He now only gets huge canon bones....He would play fine but when he was just walking about he would be slightly hunched in his Hind quarter...when he tried to go toilet he would struggle as if constipated and pass fluid/blood. this was obviously due to the bone getting stuck in the line and being too big to pass but with his attempts it would try and get more and more embedded into his lining causing cuts and bleeding. It required surgery to remove one, and the other was lots of munched up shards which when they relaxed him they were able to remove without invasive surgery. Your thought about the rawhide bone could be correct...those should breakdown after a little bit or at least soften to allow it to pass.....just keep an eye and perhaps an X-ray.....   Hope you find a solution...it is a horrible feeling not knowing how to fix the pain of your pet

Lesson I learned,,  was never give a dog cooked bones....they break into slivers of vet bills....

I am no vet either, but I'd put my money on what Tongs is saying here.  I think that's your most likely culprit.  That or perhaps a piece of wood or something like that which has perhaps been chewed up. 
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2010, 07:57:30 PM »
AA,

I'd restrict food,not water and see if it clears up.If it persists I'd take the dog to be Xrayed to see if the dog has a blockage or some other foreign object stuck in the GI tract.

Dog will eat almost anything,getting into the garbage can be deadly,please dont feed bones to any dog.The bones can splinter and cause all kinds of life threatening conditions.

Also,be carefull with your choice of toys,some can splinter too,this has the same effect as a bone chip! On top off all this just ordinary household objects can also be a danger,never leave a dog unsupervised in a house,I've use cages to house my dogs and highly recommend you "cage train" you dog.

So hopefully this problem your dog is having will pass,once you resume feeding try something easy like rice,a cup or too then see if all goes well,if not take the dog to be checked and xrayed if needed.

:salute

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2010, 10:58:14 PM »
She's never had a real bone of any kind.  She does look like she's trying to force something when she's going to the "dogroom" though.  I've got an appt. with the vet first thing in the morning.  Hopefully it's nothing, but I'm going to stay up all night to keep an eye on her just in case.  There's no way I'm letting my girl go without doing all I can.  If any of you other dog owners would be willing to send a prayer up, I'd really appreciate it.  I'm sure my pup would too.

AAJagerX

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2010, 11:00:13 PM »

-Penguin

Ever pass by a dead deer on the highway?  That smell.

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2010, 11:08:01 PM »
She's never had a real bone of any kind.  She does look like she's trying to force something when she's going to the "dogroom" though.  I've got an appt. with the vet first thing in the morning.  Hopefully it's nothing, but I'm going to stay up all night to keep an eye on her just in case.  There's no way I'm letting my girl go without doing all I can.  If any of you other dog owners would be willing to send a prayer up, I'd really appreciate it.  I'm sure my pup would too.

AAJagerX

Rgr that man, I'm pulling for you and her both. 
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline betty

• Gold Member
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2010, 01:14:16 AM »
amen madda! we're all pulling for u jager! hope ur lil girl pulls thru this ok, i lost reefer as of yesturday it was 3 years and i miss him every day, i would never wish that upon any dog owner, they are part of the family, like a kid! hopefully it is somethin easily fixed for her.
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2010, 01:33:12 PM »
Ever pass by a dead deer on the highway?  That smell.

Never done that, more examples please!  Is it like expired meat?  I know that smell.

-Penguin

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2010, 01:55:30 PM »
Never done that, more examples please!  Is it like expired meat?  I know that smell.

-Penguin

Maybe try a new forum thread for this question...I know ,I know it was started here but that is not what this thread is about..it is more to do with man's friend...

The smell of death is not really something that can be easily explained...it is more something you experience...due to humans life cycle you will at some stage understand this 'smell of death' perhaps a google search...this will probably only land you a scientific explanation but I'm afaid they don't have a scratch and sniff card for this type of thing..

And to Jager...thoughts for you and your pup...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 02:11:44 PM by SPKmes »

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2010, 02:39:55 PM »
Right, let's get off this rather dreary topic of death and doom.

Hey, I wonder if a Kevlar chewtoy would stand up to a dog.

-Penguin

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2010, 04:24:50 PM »
Well, after a full run of tests (all coming back normal) and x-rays, the doc diagnosed her with Hemorragic Gastroenteritis (HGE).  She's hospitalized and taking IV fluids/antibiotics/anti-nausea meds.  Luckily, with supportive care the prognosis is good for a full recovery.  She'll probably be in the hospital for a couple of days, but it could've been much worse.  I really appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers, it's been a rough couple of days. 

AAJagerX