Author Topic: picking question  (Read 2209 times)

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
picking question
« on: January 25, 2010, 06:00:46 PM »
Ok, this may be a dumb question to some of you, but whats the difference between picking and clearing a squadies six. People PM saying nice pick and i feel bad, but i was clearing someones six....Any ideas?

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Re: picking question
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 06:01:45 PM »
blow them off, their poor SA got them killed.

Offline DaCoon

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 06:03:07 PM »
blow them off, their poor SA got them killed.

+1   :salute
AKDaCoon of the Arabian Knights

MA & FSO 😎

Offline BillyD

• Silver Member
      • Das Army of Muppets
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 06:06:32 PM »
"picking" or "cherry picking" has many forms depending on who died

meaning A:  blatant interuption of a 1 V 1

meaning B:  some people cross " bouncing " with "picking" i.e. BNZ fighting, attacking a con from alt

meaning C:  shooting down Draggon in any form, from any position around the clock   :D

meaning D:  engaging and destroying an aircraft already engaged ( single or multiple bandits )

meaning E:  engaging and destroying a pilot with target fixation or bad SA

etc etc

was your squaddie yelling in your ear on squad vox or f12 range to help him?

if so: No pick, shot at keeping your sanity

if not: Pick    :aok

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 06:14:54 PM by BillyD »
*ARMY OF MUPPETS
*K$
*Hot Soup Mafia
*@#$@#  YO COUCH CREW

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 06:07:45 PM »
People PM saying nice pick and i feel bad, but i was clearing someones six....Any ideas?

Ask yourself if you'd feel better letting your squaddie get killed and listening to him complain.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 06:14:45 PM »
meaning C:  shooting down Draggon in any form, from any position around the clock   :D

Oh thank you! That made my day!
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 06:18:17 PM »

meaning C:  shooting down Draggon in any form, from any position around the clock   :D

I don't know how the guy does it!  At the same time he is berating the guy who shot him, he also berating any friendly within 6k about not check sixing him. :rolleyes:
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 06:21:09 PM »
meaning B:  some people cross " bouncing " with "picking" i.e. BNZ fighting, attacking a con from alt

Speaking of faulty definitions... the following happened recently:

Coming back from afk I spot a Pony on my six, closing in fast. No other planes around, we are alone in this remote sector. I'm barely able to evade, we do a few maneuvers, Pony hits the ground. Lucky me, survived and got a proxy.

The Pony driver's (a so called "vet player") "You sure know how to pick"  :confused:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 06:25:08 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 06:23:13 PM »
, he also berating any friendly within 6k about not check sixing him. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure many friendlies around actually don't have any "friendly" feelings towards him ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 06:24:15 PM »

Coming back from afk I spot a Pony on my six, closing in fast. No other planes around, we are alone in this remote sector. I'm barely able to evade, we do a few maneuvers, Pony hits the ground. Lucky me, survided and got a proxy.

The Pony driver's (a so called "vet player") "You sure know how to pick"  :confused:
Well you picked him to die & he did. :aok

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 06:27:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure many friendlies around actually don't have any "friendly" feelings towards him ;)
Heheh.

I shot his Spit 16 down in a Val and since he didn't have any other excuse he said he was hurt from Hoing (what a surprise) an A6M.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline TW9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.tedwilliams.com
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 06:27:55 PM »

Coming back from afk I spot a Pony on my six, closing in fast. No other planes around, we are alone in this remote sector. I'm barely able to evade, we do a few maneuvers, Pony hits the ground. Lucky me, survived and got a proxy.

The Pony driver's (a so called "vet player") "You sure know how to pick"  :confused:

lol now that's funny.

....so who was it... do tell :D  :noid
Quote from: sax
The community lacks personality , thank #@# for TW9 or
there would'nt even be anyone --------- left .
Quote from: Krusty
Edit2: BAN the ass-hat. That's not skuzzy, that's a tard named TW9

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 06:38:13 PM »
Ok, this may be a dumb question to some of you, but whats the difference between picking and clearing a squadies six. People PM saying nice pick and i feel bad, but i was clearing someones six....Any ideas?

By all means clear a friendlies six.  Consider it a "good job, you knocked me outa the sky before I even knew you were there" back pat.  As mentioned above, if anything your opponent's poor SA (situational awareness) and "tunnelvision" on your friendly in distress is the cause of the great distress and grief that fuels their need to vocally express it to you at their earliest convenience.

The Pony driver's (a so called "vet player") "You sure know how to pick"  :confused:

Last week, I got a new one, I spot a Yak while flying in my Dora at 10K-12, seemingly in an AFK climb and all by his lonesome.  I decide to come up behind and below him and close within 20-50 meters of his tail and just hover there on it for at least 30 seconds but more twords a full minute of playing with my food, just barely avoiding collision from punching the throttle accidently a little too hard.  Finally above 14K I back off to 100 meters and put a 50-cannon round burst into him, boom.  A few seconds later "nice pick".
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 06:49:43 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 07:03:53 PM »

It's the exact same thing. This is why picking is actually absolutely fundamental to air to air combat. Imagine air combat where you didn't ever have to worry about someone attacking you at inconvenient times...It would be stupid, boring and incredibly unrealistic. Mutual support in fighter combat is the connective tissue in virtually all fighter tactics dogma.
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 08:06:58 PM »
A devils advocate thought.

In the past there have been many threads not supportive of squads because of the force and farce multiplier effects by cohesive groups or squads. The action of one player calling for help from a second player is the nuclei of growing into all of the problems associated with our past mega squads. We are well aware HiTech enacted the ENY system and multiple arena's in response to a period of AH history where mega squads were running rampant in our only MA arena. And also organising multiple squads into a super country coalition force specifically to dominate all game play in the MA.

So today's picker to clear a friends tail may be tomorrows organiser of the next super country squadrons coalition force. I know some of us remember those joint squad ops nights from years gone by from the loosers side. An organised cloud of pickers in uber rides picking our best defensive efforts out of the sky's. Mega hoards shutting our fields down at the same time all over the map.

Naw....clearing a freinds six by picking is just being a good freind and squadmate..... :joystick:
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.