Author Topic: picking question  (Read 2239 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: picking question
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 08:16:09 PM »
Imagine air combat where you didn't ever have to worry about someone attacking you at inconvenient times

My deaths would be cut by 99.9999% of this were the case!   :P

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
I am of the opinion picking is "clearing someone's 6" or "killing someone already engaged". it is NOT "you were higher/faster than me"

Picking sucks when it happens to me, but I will pick enemy any time possible..  :aok

therefore I dont find it a perjorative term.. 

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline stran

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 08:56:49 PM »
I am of the opinion picking is "clearing someone's 6" or "killing someone already engaged". it is NOT "you were higher/faster than me"

Picking sucks when it happens to me, but I will pick enemy any time possible..  :aok

therefore I dont find it a perjorative term.. 

i agree with what kvuo75 said, and with what ever perjorative means.
i want to add though that i don't like friendlies clearing my 12 after i've cornered an elusive opponent. it's not a problem if i just acquired a target, or in a furball, but when i had to work for it, and especially if the other friendly didn't have the speed to catch the opponent... it's damn annoying but there's nothing anyone can do to stop it.
Squash

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 09:14:53 PM »
I love it when some one spells out SA for me. I wondering what that was. Ty

Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Bradman

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 09:16:51 PM »
i agree with what kvuo75 said, and with what ever perjorative means.
i want to add though that i don't like friendlies clearing my 12 after i've cornered an elusive opponent. it's not a problem if i just acquired a target, or in a furball, but when i had to work for it, and especially if the other friendly didn't have the speed to catch the opponent... it's damn annoying but there's nothing anyone can do to stop it.

pejorative means having a negative affect.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 07:17:52 AM »
Don't worry about it. Cherrypicking is an important part of the game...when you get picked...it's God's way of telling you that you are a dumbarse. :)

Nothing wrong with being a good picker (or vulcher, for that matter). :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 07:19:22 AM »
Don't worry about it. Cherrypicking is an important part of the game...when you get picked...it's God's way of telling you that you are a dumbarse. :)

Nothing wrong with being a good picker (or vulcher, for that matter). :)

Baddy!!!!! :rock
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 07:31:53 AM »
A devils advocate thought.

In the past there have been many threads not supportive of squads because of the force and farce multiplier effects by cohesive groups or squads. The action of one player calling for help from a second player is the nuclei of growing into all of the problems associated with our past mega squads. We are well aware HiTech enacted the ENY system and multiple arena's in response to a period of AH history where mega squads were running rampant in our only MA arena. And also organizing multiple squads into a super country coalition force specifically to dominate all game play in the MA.

So today's picker to clear a friends tail may be tomorrows organizer of the next super country squadrons coalition force. I know some of us remember those joint squad ops nights from years gone by from the losers side. An organized cloud of pickers in uber rides picking our best defensive efforts out of the sky's. Mega hoards shutting our fields down at the same time all over the map.

Naw....clearing a friends six by picking is just being a good friend and squadmate..... :joystick:
I just had to do it. Was driving me moonbat.
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 07:33:09 AM »
In a furball situation there's no such thing as pick, it's all for all and you're just clearing countrymen's 6. In a 1 vs 1 situation if your ally is not asking for help and you're just going in for the shot then maybe that's a pick.

But yea, I don't have any regret for shooting other people down using BnZ style in a furball. If you have poor SA and you get shot down, can't squeak about it xD. I get shot down in furball and 1 v 1 all the time because my SA wasn't good enough, and I just walk away saying damn I guess I didn't track that guy.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 07:56:02 AM »
Picking, Hoing, vulching; its all the same and all part of ending the fight faster. I am of the opinion that A) The one to the fight the fastest with the most will win....most of the time. If that involves all or part of the three items I say in the beginning then so be it. B) Nothing wrong with being in a position to clean your buddy's six from time to time and let the tard that was in tunnel vision get his butt handed to him. C) All of the previous end the fight faster for you or your group so you have more time to get more kills or die faster.

The end.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 08:03:49 AM »
Ok, this may be a dumb question to some of you, but whats the difference between picking and clearing a squadies six. People PM saying nice pick and i feel bad, but i was clearing someones six....Any ideas?

you see a 1-1 below ya. you drop down, and clear your countrymans 12. he never asked for help.

that';s a pick.

now, if you and a squaddie are workin together, that's totally different.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2010, 08:05:27 AM »
"picking" or "cherry picking" has many forms depending on who died

meaning A:  blatant interuption of a 1 V 1

meaning B:  some people cross " bouncing " with "picking" i.e. BNZ fighting, attacking a con from alt

meaning C:  shooting down Draggon in any form, from any position around the clock   :D

meaning D:  engaging and destroying an aircraft already engaged ( single or multiple bandits )

meaning E:  engaging and destroying a pilot with target fixation or bad SA

etc etc

was your squaddie yelling in your ear on squad vox or f12 range to help him?

if so: No pick, shot at keeping your sanity

if not: Pick    :aok

but now, on  "B" ya need to be careful too.......quite a few people confuse bnz fighting with e-fighting.  :D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 08:06:45 AM »
Ask yourself if you'd feel better letting your squaddie get killed and listening to him complain.

this is just me.......but i'd rather my squaddies respect my fight, and stay out.......unless i ask for help.

thankfully, i'm in the friendliest, coolest and most fun squad in ah.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 08:09:10 AM »

Speaking of faulty definitions... the following happened recently:

Coming back from afk I spot a Pony on my six, closing in fast. No other planes around, we are alone in this remote sector. I'm barely able to evade, we do a few maneuvers, Pony hits the ground. Lucky me, survived and got a proxy.

The Pony driver's (a so called "vet player") "You sure know how to pick"  :confused:

dude....i've had one of the "vets" run when he was lower than me, run when he was co-alt to me, and accuse me of running, as he himself was running........and it is one that i truly believe would kick my cartoon arse........but i think it's also one that's managed to forget that this is just a game.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 08:29:18 AM »

you see a 1-1 below ya. you drop down, and clear your countrymans 12. he never asked for help.

that';s a pick.

now, if you and a squaddie are workin together, that's totally different.

What he said. 

I'd just add that to me a pick comes with the pilot.  Meaning, there are people that that is all they ever do.  You can see them hide behind a couple of reds waiting for them to engage you and then they come in.  If I get killed buy one of them, I know it was a pick and I may say something.  Not because it was a pick, but because that is all they do.  These are seasoned vets and most of them will come here and tell us how good they are too.  If I get picked by player XYZ a few times, I don't care, my fault for not paying attention.  But when you get picked by the same guys over the years, you learn their pattens and you can actually ID them.

For example, if you get a message that says you have been killed by XHawk or SASSEN, you know it was a pick (Names changed to protect the Innocent) because it was planned that way.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.