Author Topic: CV Damage and Hardness  (Read 633 times)

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
CV Damage and Hardness
« on: January 17, 2010, 05:22:30 PM »
Ok... I have a couple of questions in regards to the amount of damage a CV can take.  According to this page:

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/levelbombing/levelbombing.htm

... it takes 8 1000lb bombs to sink a "Primary Ship" (aka Aircraft Carrier).  Now... when I look in the arena settings, all I can find a hardness setting for is a "ship" which has a hardness value of 1.5625.  This falls in line with a regular ship being sunk by 2 1000lb bombs.   Nowhere in the arena settings is there a listing for Primary Ship, or Carrier.  Nor can I find any kind of multiplier setting for CV's anywhere.  So my question on this matter is, what is... and where can I find... the hardness setting for a CV.

Now... the second question I have is in regards to guns on the ships.  I "assume" that when ship based guns are destroyed by bombs or shells, that damage is applied to the gun, and not the ship itself?  So in essence, if you are firing at, or bombing a ship and you are hitting guns instead of the hull, it is going to take more hits, and more damage to sink it.  Am I correct in this assumption?

***G3-MF***

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
Re: CV Damage and Hardness
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 06:38:41 PM »
Just guessing here... but I think I MAY have answered my first question.  The CV itself is a ship, fighter hangar, and bomber hangar.  It is also a boat entry point, but that is not destroyed when the CV goes down, so I am guessing that is assigned to the task group as a whole, and not just the CV.  (if you manually destroy the boat entry in a task group in offline practice, a fire starts just off the side of the CV, which never happens in the arenas)

Anyway... if you add the hardness values of a fighter hangar, bomber hangar, and ship together, you come up with 7.1429... which would require 8 1000 lb bombs to knock out.  I am guessing that they have it coded somehow that all 3 of those must be destroyed in order to sink the carrier.

***G3-MF***

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 04:56:56 PM »

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 06:07:52 PM »
Just guessing here... but I think I MAY have answered my first question.  The CV itself is a ship, fighter hangar, and bomber hangar.  It is also a boat entry point, but that is not destroyed when the CV goes down, so I am guessing that is assigned to the task group as a whole, and not just the CV.  (if you manually destroy the boat entry in a task group in offline practice, a fire starts just off the side of the CV, which never happens in the arenas)

Anyway... if you add the hardness values of a fighter hangar, bomber hangar, and ship together, you come up with 7.1429... which would require 8 1000 lb bombs to knock out.  I am guessing that they have it coded somehow that all 3 of those must be destroyed in order to sink the carrier.

The relevant part of the link Brooke provided.

Carrier hardness = ObjectHardnessMults[SHP] x 6750 lbs
Cruiser hardness = ObjectHardnessMults[SHP] x (Ship Hardness) x 1000 lbs
Destroyer hardness = cruiser hardness
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 06:08:57 PM »
Now... the second question I have is in regards to guns on the ships.  I "assume" that when ship based guns are destroyed by bombs or shells, that damage is applied to the gun, and not the ship itself?  So in essence, if you are firing at, or bombing a ship and you are hitting guns instead of the hull, it is going to take more hits, and more damage to sink it.  Am I correct in this assumption?
No.  Anything within a bomb's blast radius will be damaged.  There is no way for an object to "absorb" all the damage leaving other objects in the blast radius unharmed.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 05:01:33 AM »
Yep, ships don't have a hardness setting. They have a hardness multiplier. Kinda weird, but hey.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.