Author Topic: Cat 6a Ethernet  (Read 3044 times)

Offline MadHatter

• Copper Member
Re: Cat 6a Ethernet
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 04:02:24 AM »
Not sure what your point is, cat5e is still capable of 1Gbps speed. You'd need to identify the CPE device and what sort of optics are being provisioned (ie SX, LX, BX, is it epon etc).

My point is they were trying to sell him on the fact that it was FO all the way thru to the ISP. A lot of homeowners fell for this, they thought they were going to get Fiber Optic speed to the ISP, not just from one bedroom to another. (This was a new construction home, fiber optic connections were installed as wall jacks thru-out the house) no action could be taken because in the fine print it said FO installed in the house. Sort of like that Toyota/Toy Yoda post. My main point is that we're not falling behind because it isn't available, we're falling behind because because it's going to cost the ISPs money. Our service is ruled by their bottom line.
-MadHat
CO 81st Bomb Wing "Pogues"
"Carpet bombing is 100% accurate, the bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground."

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 11:45:48 AM »
Not sure what your point is, cat5e is still capable of 1Gbps speed. You'd need to identify the CPE device and what sort of optics are being provisioned (ie SX, LX, BX, is it epon etc).
Vulcan, the point is, your assumptions about "hicksville USA" is pretty much nationwide...and there are still areas that can't even get the lowest level of DSL. In NZ you have what, a total population of 4 million? The state of California alone is estimated at 38 million...think about how much bandwidth that many people use on a 10 year old consumer based internet infrastructure at just 10Mbps...as well as the time and expense of updating that infrastructure current standards for 300 million people. It's happening, but not very fast...and only the densest population areas are getting the availability of faster connections that still connect to the older infrastructure and cost much more than the "shoddy" 3Mbps basic connection speeds.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline maus92

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 05:51:55 PM »
I have FIOS in my condo.  Fiber comes up to the building, then is bridged into the telephone line using VDSL.  Once inside, Verizon provides both a VDSL modem, and a wireless router (the two are connected by a CAT5 cable.)  From there, I installed a 16 port gigabit switch and a N access point.  I get 20/5 Gb service consistently.  Runs $60/month, with like a $15 discount if you bundle with FIOS TV, which I do. I could get 20/20 Gb, but that is not offered as part of a bundle.
Callsign: nag

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 06:52:16 AM »
I have FIOS in my condo.  Fiber comes up to the building, then is bridged into the telephone line using VDSL.  Once inside, Verizon provides both a VDSL modem, and a wireless router (the two are connected by a CAT5 cable.)  From there, I installed a 16 port gigabit switch and a N access point.  I get 20/5 Gb service consistently.  Runs $60/month, with like a $15 discount if you bundle with FIOS TV, which I do. I could get 20/20 Gb, but that is not offered as part of a bundle.

I seriously doubt you got 20Gb service especially if you run it through a gigabit switch that limits your transfer speed to 1Gb :)

A 20Gb network card costs several hundred bucks in itself.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 08:11:47 AM »
I switched from Time Warner to Verizon FiOS a few weeks ago.  So far I've been quite pleased with FiOS.   

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 12:01:45 PM »
Soda, is FIOS service still PPPOE based?

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2010, 12:42:36 PM »
In Megabits (Mb)
Cat5e = 10/100/1000
Cat6 = 10/100/1000
Fiber channel = 200, 400, 800, 1600, 2550, 5100

With your gigabit (1000Mb) switch and N (600Mb) wireless access point...you are not going to see 20/5 or even 20/20 Gbit/s connection speed...especially considering the fastest Verizon FIOS connection available is 50/20 Mbit/s. Perhaps you're just a bit mistaken.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2010, 01:38:48 PM »
Soda, is FIOS service still PPPOE based?

<S>

Should be DHCP..

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2010, 01:56:31 PM »
Should be DHCP..

PPPoE is a data transport wrapper.  It converts normal Ethernet framed data packets to PPP wrapped packets.  It is a lazy way for an ISP to manage thier networks.  It incurs more overhead at the router.  It incurs more overhead on your computer.  It allows the ISP to do cheesy things to your connection as well.

The DHCP handshake would be contained in a PPP wrapper.

PPP has to be done in the router, or ethernet card, or driver and would require a setting to confirm that type of connection.

I have not gotten a straight answer yet to the question either.  I will not touch FIOS as long as it is PPPoE based.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2010, 02:48:57 PM »
PPPoE is a data transport wrapper.  It converts normal Ethernet framed data packets to PPP wrapped packets.  It is a lazy way for an ISP to manage thier networks.  It incurs more overhead at the router.  It incurs more overhead on your computer.  It allows the ISP to do cheesy things to your connection as well.

The DHCP handshake would be contained in a PPP wrapper.

PPP has to be done in the router, or ethernet card, or driver and would require a setting to confirm that type of connection.

I have not gotten a straight answer yet to the question either.  I will not touch FIOS as long as it is PPPoE based.

I ended up using verizons router...

In their router settings under ISP protocol it says its using DHCP...

Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing..

I'm not exactly a router expert..

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2010, 02:54:31 PM »
As someone in the new home construction industry, what should we be installing right now?  AT&T paid for FO infrastructure throughout neighborhood we were building at my old company in Reno.  The pipe under the streets and up to the home was FO.  Of course, we then ruined it by wiring the home with nothing more than Cat 5.  How much a FO pipe exists out there that gets you from point A to point B via FO right now?  How long until there's going to be a credible FO capability that actually brings increased capability to the customer?  I'd love to get educated on this so I know how to market it or make sure I spend their money on something they'll actually get some value out of.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2010, 03:42:23 AM »
Fiber channel = 200, 400, 800, 1600, 2550, 5100

What? Seriously stay away from networking conversations.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2010, 03:51:11 AM »
Vulcan, the point is, your assumptions about "hicksville USA" is pretty much nationwide...and there are still areas that can't even get the lowest level of DSL. In NZ you have what, a total population of 4 million? The state of California alone is estimated at 38 million...think about how much bandwidth that many people use on a 10 year old consumer based internet infrastructure at just 10Mbps...as well as the time and expense of updating that infrastructure current standards for 300 million people. It's happening, but not very fast...and only the densest population areas are getting the availability of faster connections that still connect to the older infrastructure and cost much more than the "shoddy" 3Mbps basic connection speeds.

bollocks. Places like japan have had 1Gbps to the home for around 6-7 years. Building that kind of infrastructure is not hard nor unheard of. You want to see what the chinese are doing. Deploying solutions in NZ is far more difficult because we have such a low population density over a large area (2/3rd the size of calif with < 1/12th of the population) - not to mention some fairly challenging terrain.

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2010, 03:56:38 AM »
DHCP enabled means your router will connect to their DHCP server and ask for an IP address.  Once assigned an IP number, you'll get to communicate with the rest of the internet. :)

Your PC has DHCP enabled by default, check your services and network settings for it. :)  Your router is the home's DHCP server as it's also enabled by default in your router settings, as it assigns your PC's an IP address.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2010, 08:36:57 AM »
DHCP enabled means your router will connect to their DHCP server and ask for an IP address.  Once assigned an IP number, you'll get to communicate with the rest of the internet. :)

Your PC has DHCP enabled by default, check your services and network settings for it. :)  Your router is the home's DHCP server as it's also enabled by default in your router settings, as it assigns your PC's an IP address.

Thanks frog

I knew what DHCP was just didn't know what PPPoE was.  SKuzzy explained it nicely though...

I don't know where I would check to see if it's using PPPoE or PPP, unless there some place this can be check like in the router configuration manager.