Author Topic: What about wireless high speed internet service and Aces High?  (Read 677 times)

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
What about wireless high speed internet service and Aces High?
« on: January 22, 2010, 04:57:14 PM »
Considering a move to a rural area with no high speed cable service. So rural, I doubt they have DSL.

Verizon wreless has a good signal there and they offer what is, basically, a dedicated cell phone line for high speed internet.

Does wireless suffer the same atmosphereic issues as satelite? Or other issues?

Have any experience with Aces High over a wireless high speed internet hook-up?

Thanks.

regards, teshaw

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: What about wireless high speed internet service and Aces High?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 05:01:46 PM »
you mean like a verizon air card for a pc?

it would certainly work...but I do know they monitor bandwidth...and you'd get slammed there.

my sister in law talks with her husband stationed in s korea over skype...via verizon air card...twice a week...and verizon jacked her bill significantly
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 05:03:44 PM by ZetaNine »

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 05:26:21 PM »
I don't think the signal is subject to the same interference as satellites. You will, however, encounter some form of packet loss. Wireless reliability varies amongst users. Just keep in mind, with wireless connections, there's always some packet loss.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 06:15:17 PM »
I use PWI precision wireless internet service..and I really have not been dissapointed...A HUGE step up from satellite..ice on the antenna sometimes causes issues,but usually just knocking it off fixes it...I dont experience much packet loss at all..I dont know about phone wifi though,not sure if it would be the same or not...

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 06:22:32 PM »
My brother has Verizon high speed wireless Internet.  He moves a lot (construction job) and pays a flat monthly fee just like any other high speed Internet access.  I don't know about gaming but it seems to work well.  Not as fast as cable but still fast.  There are signal strength issues in certain areas though.  Not sure about weather effects but he's never mentioned it.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 06:31:16 PM »
I use a Verizon EVDO card with my laptop for work. There would be no issues playing on it, although I don't.  It's roughly half again as fast as a T1, and when I'm in an area with good signal strength, it's at least as stable (which is more important for game play than bandwidth) as my cable connection.  And no, there are no weather related issues.

Of course, a lot is going to depend on how close your home is to the tower, and what's in between ....

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline batch

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 07:14:25 PM »
Id say check all your options........ you may find there are local wireless ISPs near there.........

I know several people on Aces High who use either Sprint or Verizon wireless and they rarely if ever have any problems

I personally use a local wireless company and have never had any issues with the game........but unlike the little USB cards that plug in I have a small antenna outside my house about the size of a 1/2 gallon milk carton which connects to my router using cat5

Ghastly hit the nail on the head the most important issue is going to be tower location to get signal strength

perhaps the reason Ive never noticed a problem is I could throw a rock and hit my tower

as far as speeds go...... the national brands like Sprint of Verizon typically offer the 768Kbps
I dont know if they offer faster packages

local speeds would just depend on the provider
"theres nothin like wakin up with a Dickens Cider" - Dickens Fruit Stand

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 10:07:27 PM »
You definitely need to read the contract before you sign up, however. Even though they're a few thousand pages long. In many cases (I know AT&T's done it with their iPhone data plans) they'll hide a bandwidth limit in there. When you pass it, they begin charging a truly epic amount for it.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 09:35:11 AM »
Another thing,pretty much any legit company will  TEST how well the signal strength is in your location..

Offline Boxman

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 09:03:50 PM »
I just moved to new apartment. While waiting for the new cab le kmodem, I was playing using my Blackberry as a modem through Sprint.

I was getting about 187 ping; which is playable.

However there were times I would get bad packet loss.

For certain stretched of time it was fine.....much better than nothing anyway.

Offline Grind

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 11:03:15 PM »
I've got a setup like Batch.  Its basically a DSL connection with the last stretch being wireless.  I live out in the sticks in NE Oklahoma.  Can't get cable or a regular DSL line and do not want Satelite.  Runs about $80.00 a month for 1024 down and 384 up.  I'm 1.4 miles from the tower.  The limit is 1.5 miles.  I ping 15-16 in the middle of the night and 15-70 when its busy.  Pricey yes, but well worth it to me for the amount of time I spend playing the game.  I also don't "feel it" when my family is browsing on the internet or downloading whatever...

<S>
Windows 11 Pro, Z790 UD AX,  i5-13600K, 64 MB DDR5, RTX 4070, Alienware AW3225QF QD-OLED monitor,TrackIr 5, VKB Gunfighter IV, VKB Gladiator NXT EVO Throttle, VKB Mk V Rudder Pedals.

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 05:06:12 PM »
I've tried AT&T/Verizon aircards.  They work ok for the most part.  We just switched to a provider that's called Com-Waves, which is a RF (radio) based high speed internet.  Outstanding ping, usually in the 40-70 ms range.  If you just need high speed at your house, I'd definately recommend a similar service.
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline Wrek

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 10:22:55 PM »
I have a setup like AAJagerX mentions. This kind of wireless broadband dsl works very well. I get pings in the 30ms-40ms to AH. There are several type of antennas out there but mine looks like a little metal wire dish with a receiver/sender box attached about foot in the front dish.
Wrek