Author Topic: It was Lowell and Galland...  (Read 5108 times)

LJK Raubvogel

It was Lowell and Galland...
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2000, 07:56:00 PM »
Ever been around a group of vets telling war stories? A whole bunch of truth-stretching and general BSing goes on. I would say that with the facts that we know, it was not Galland in the plane, and that plane was not a Dora. The memory may fade after 40 years, but written records do not.

------------------
LJK_Raubvogel
LuftJägerKorps

[This message has been edited by LJK Raubvogel (edited 12-23-2000).]

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2000, 10:18:00 PM »
Verra interesting reading.

RAM are you afraid that this anecdote will be cited as a reference to improve the P-38 and downgrade the dora when she's added?  We all know that you're the biggest proppoent for bringing the dora to AH.  Anytime someone even thinks of mentioning the SpitXIV you're right there screaming in everyone's faces about how the XIV needs to be perked, but can't be brought in before the dora.

I really can't think of any other reason why you're fighting this tale so vehemently.  Westy already said it's no nevermind to him, as he dinnae write it, and he even quoted where he got it from, yet you continue to try and argue the validity of it.  ::shrug::

(and I still believe the P-38 is a little on the porked side   )

Now where's that Spitfire XIV?

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2000, 10:59:00 PM »

Originally posted by CavemanJ:
Verra interesting reading.

RAM are you afraid that this anecdote will be cited as a reference to improve the P-38 and downgrade the dora when she's added?  We all know that you're the biggest proppoent for bringing the dora to AH.  Anytime someone even thinks of mentioning the SpitXIV you're right there screaming in everyone's faces about how the XIV needs to be perked, but can't be brought in before the dora.

I really can't think of any other reason why you're fighting this tale so vehemently.  Westy already said it's no nevermind to him, as he dinnae write it, and he even quoted where he got it from, yet you continue to try and argue the validity of it.  ::shrug::

(and I still believe the P-38 is a little on the porked side     )

Now where's that Spitfire XIV?

LOL you make me laugh.

First of all, we have demostrated that the 190 was not a D9. Period. No discussion there. The fight ,if it happened, was a P38J vs a Fw190A8. And I dont think that the comparison is good for the P38  . So...I dont know where do you extract that idea  

Now, and to explain it fast and clear. Thee spitfire XIV will be a plane that will do everything...and will do everything very well....its very fast, it accelerates like a G10, it climbs better than a G10, it turns very well, it rolls acceptable for a spit, it has very good visibility, it has awesome firepower, and has a decent range for MA purposes, also.

Modelled unperked, it would be a monster. The best all around plane for the Main Arena. Any newbie will be able to put himself in the cockpit of a XIV and get a lot of kills with few work on it, as the plane can do ANY role (BnZ,E-fighting, TnB) and do it GREAT!.

Now...the Fw190D9 will be a great BnZ plane, just as the P51D is,but even more radical  than the pony. Fast,good diver, decent accelerator, decent climber,...The 190D9 is faster, and climbs better than a p51D...but then again, any plane,even a P51D or P47D will out turn it because the 190D9 will be the worse turner in AH, seems that will be even worse than an A8. Most planes here will outclimb a D9. Most planes here will outaccelerate a D9. And a newbie that comes here and gets into a cockpit of a 190D9 will find that he needs to work in his ACM and BnZ skills to actually kill bad guys.

I think that it is clearly seen why I say that one should be perked and the other one not.
-------------------------------------------

Now on the thread's topic...

I say that I wont have problems at all with that story, if it was true.And I mean it. Galland was shot down a lot of times, and almost killed a couple of times.

But that story is NOT true, at least in part, and I think that is false as a whole. we have proof that the plane was NOT A D9. And we have proof that Galland has NO P38 awarded...And, lastly but not less important, Galland makes NO reference to that fight in his book. When you are about to be killed in a (Seems) so good fight, you write it in your memories. Galland wrote about a lot of his stories in WWII, including his almost death ws the P47D of the Lt. Finnegan. But he says NOTHIGN about a fight against a P38.

You can tell me he didnt want to accept he was beaten in a fight. I wont believe it, but you can use it as an argument...but if it that is true, then why did he say in the convention that the 190 was him?...he could have said he knew nothing about it. Makes no sense.

While I like to hear real war stories, I dont like to hear a false story without making it clear that is NOT true. This story is false, and so I say it.

BTW I'd argue just the same in the other way (I.E. a German pilot talking about almost killing Yeager in "his P51H." when there was no P51H planes operational in the ETO at the time).

I like war stories. True ones. But not stories for kids, thank you.

And now stop the hijack of the thread ok?...thaaaaaaaaanks  

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 12-23-2000).]

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2000, 05:11:00 AM »
Where's that story about the P-51 vs Hartmann?  

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2000, 08:23:00 AM »

Originally posted by juzz:
Where's that story about the P-51 vs Hartmann?  

RIght on target...that story as I have read it, is another piece of pure fantasy.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2000, 01:13:00 AM »
"Top Guns" by Joe Foss and Matthew Brennan

Whoever was looking for it, I have a copy.

I'm cleaning out the house; simply too much stuff collected over the years. This book is in essentially new condition with jacket.

List price ~$22 plus shipping. Be the first on your block.  
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline danish

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2000, 05:31:00 AM »
Hia Mr Toad Sir ;=)

Have mailed you (and what an ugly mail address that was hehe)

danish

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2000, 08:14:00 AM »
Danish,

That is not my real E-Mail, obviously.

After a discussion in the O-Club topic I started getting some "hate mail" from folks who apparently felt they were losing the discussion.

They weren't any more articulate in the E-Mail than they were on the BBS but I didn't think my wife and kids needed to see the trash they were sending.

I see you have no E-Mail either. Perhaps look for me online and we'll swap E-Mails on a private channel?

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline danish

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2000, 10:18:00 AM »
Uff.. :=( sometimes one wonders...

"Perhaps look for me online and we'll swap E-Mails on a private channel?"
Thats ok with me, or if you want to get that more room on your bookshelves sooner you can mail me at danish@warbirds.org ;=)
Anyway will keep an eye out for you ;=)

danish