Author Topic: Rudder Pedal Use  (Read 575 times)

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
Rudder Pedal Use
« on: March 26, 2011, 12:15:24 PM »
I replaced my twist stick with CH Rudder Pedals some time ago. But I've noticed that using the pedals didn't change things much.  It seems that the ball in the turn coordinator is seldom more than half a ball out even during a full turn. There appears to be very little difference between using the pedals and flying feet flat on the floor.
They do come in very handy when taking off a turning CV or any time auto-takeoff is turned off; or when you need to side slip to lose altitude in a hurry. But as far as their usefullness in flight or in a fight, not so much.
I guess I expected them to perform more like the rudder pedals in a real airplane. I've flown airplanes where you had to give rudder input anytime you applied aileron just to keep the ball centered.
Was I expecting too much from using the pedals or is it normal pedal operation in AHII?

thanks
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Rudder Pedal Use
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 12:21:31 PM »
Try S turns in the TA152. How much rudder you need depends on the trim setting and your speed. Do you have combat trim on?

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 12:27:05 PM »
No.  I've never used combat trim.  I have a hat switch setup for trimming. 

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 12:28:19 PM »
Try flying a Camel in WWI. I have a twisty stick instead of rudders, and my forearm is starting to look like a blacksmiths's....
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 01:05:44 PM »
Change your rudder axis ever so slightly.

I have CH rudders and they work magnificently. Now it's taken me a very long time to use them instinctively. Well I'm not quite there but better.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 04:47:44 PM »
Change your rudder axis ever so slightly.

I have CH rudders and they work magnificently. Now it's taken me a very long time to use them instinctively. Well I'm not quite there but better.

I have actual time, hundreds of hours in P40, Corsair F4U and B25.  I used to spend my time in the summer flying these birds to AirShows for an outfit on the East Coast here.  I think the models are pretty close in the game except for one area and that's the rudder.   It almost appears in the game as if there is an autorubber and the ball is seldom out of center.  That may be because if the planes in the game took as much work with stick and rudder as they do in real life,  no one would ever complete a flight or be able land without groundlooping

Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 10:11:43 PM »
   It almost appears in the game as if there is an autorubber and the ball is seldom out of center. 

Yep. Kind of what I was thinking.