Author Topic: Reduce Cv puffy ack  (Read 1400 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: Reduce Cv puffy ack
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2010, 03:21:11 PM »
If AI ack is disabled we can assume most CV will be sitting on the bottom most of the night.

disagree. the biggest threat to cvs is buffs (after cruisers ;)) and puffy doesnt affect them enough to prevent bomb release. next big threat is jabos. I drop alot of ords on ships and in my experience the bomb run isnt when you get hit by puffy, its when your 5 miles from the cv engaged with another fighter. its only effective use is as a funkiller.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2010, 04:35:32 PM »
I sure don't want to get rid of puffy ack.  However, auto puffy is basically useless against bombers but deadly against fighters, seems like it should be the other way around.

Slow and strait vs. Fast and nimble.  Would it be easier to shoot a hummingbird or a turkey?
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2010, 05:55:05 PM »
I sure don't want to get rid of puffy ack.  However, auto puffy is basically useless against bombers but deadly against fighters, seems like it should be the other way around.

Slow and strait vs. Fast and nimble.  Would it be easier to shoot a hummingbird or a turkey?

Short of turning off AI ack on CV's, this probably won't satisfy the furballers.

The bombers being such a big broad slow target logicaly should be more vulnerable to the radar fuzed 5inch rounds. It is the same shooting a manned 5incher. At 2.5k I can knock off fighters from a 5 inch all day. Bombers just keep flying on through to the CV while my shells explode all around them. One would think a box of bombers would be as vulnerable to radar fuzed 5inch shells at max icon distance due to their size as fighters are at 2.5k.

Bombers seem to become most vulnerable to the ack at about 1.5k which is too late because the bombs are out. As the size of the aircraft or bomber gets smaller they seem to be easier to hit. I see very few "single" B25H or Ju88 get close to CV untill an extensive amount of damage has been sustained by the whole fleet. Medium bombers like those two as single planes seem to loose a wing between 2.5k and 1k out. Bomber boxes cruise over and fly away trailing smoke to rinse and repeat inside of max icon range.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2010, 09:16:28 PM »
How many heavy bombers attacking cv groups (or even ships) were ever shot down by ship mounted puffy ack historically?

:noid

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2010, 09:24:34 PM »
about the same as the number of  cv groups that were sunk by 3 buffs in ww2.  of course this doesnt include the numerous cv groups that were sunk by diving lancs which was pretty much the standard in ww2.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline DarkHawk

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2010, 12:59:18 PM »
Puffy ack should open at Icon range, about 6k yards, from the nearest ship, Half a sector away looking for a CV, puffy ack show me where to go to drop my bombs.
reduce the range, leave the rest alone.

DHawk
49DHawk
XO for BOWL (DHawk)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2010, 01:10:51 PM »
about the same as the number of  cv groups that were sunk by 3 buffs in ww2.  of course this doesnt include the numerous cv groups that were sunk by diving lancs which was pretty much the standard in ww2.

semp

Dont forget the stuka 17's
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty