Author Topic: Cool Idea for CARRIER OPS!  (Read 617 times)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Cool Idea for CARRIER OPS!
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2000, 11:52:00 AM »
I doubt that many of you can wait without complaining to get up in that elevator.
It isn't like going into apartments elevator and moving up to next floor....

Nath-BDP

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2000, 12:28:00 PM »
change GUI move speed, wait solved.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2000, 12:37:00 PM »
As I posted in GAMEPLAY forum, Joemud suggested online to have manable 20/40mm ack positions,  maybe a 5" gun with proximity fuses for incoming A/C..this would generate more people in AH besides just the flight simmers as well, meaning more $$.

HT mentioned that CV's will most like be controlled by a perk system, the captain would set up his waypoints for the CV, and off she goes...

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2000, 02:06:00 PM »
Ok,

Just picture how the animation of wings folding and unfolding would look!

Imagine the excitement of Navy fans as they pop up from a nicely detailed but dark hanger deck to the blinding brightness of the flight deck in combat.  Imagine the immersion!

Tell me this would not add anything to the experience.

In any event, points made by karnak.  Fact is we can start in hangers at airfields but this is rarley used.  When I want to get virtual, I start in the hanger and fly a preplanned flight.  But mostly I just spawn like the rest of you dweebs    

I also get the fact that planes were not handled by pilots and engines were not operational between the CV hanger and flight deck.

STILL,

I want to be able to start on the elevator, pop up to the deck, unfold the wings, start engine and take off.  This would be AWESOME!

Obviously, the biggest problem is how to do this technically.  How does HT handle several people trying to access the elevator at the same time? While it is in travel? Can a F6F go full throttle with wings folded?  You just know that some dweeb, somewhere (me me me) will try this.  How does HT program this?  I dont know.  Perhaps disable anything over 5% throttle with wings folded.  

HTC, this would be a major demonstration of skill and appreciation to the simulation fans and especially to the Navy guys.

Guys, I know you can do this! At least give us folding wings   Yahoooooo!

Yeager

[This message has been edited by Yeager (edited 09-21-2000).]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2000, 05:24:00 PM »

Originally posted by LLv34_Snefens:
-lynx-,
Camo was talking about the elevator lift going up and down in his little story  

Exactly. I guess lynx never rode in an elevator as a kid.  Atleast I always wanted to press the button.  

Camo

CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2000, 05:25:00 PM »
Actually, I still got that urge.  
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2000, 09:19:00 PM »
"Huh? What are you on about Camo? Maybe they had to pull the lever or something but unfolding was definitely a pilot controlled thing although it took longer than 10 seconds"

--  -lynx-

Which planes had automatic folding wings?

I always thought F6F's and the like had manual wings that the flight deck crew had to unfold themselves--very dangerous work in gusty weather.  I couldbe mistaken though.

J_A_B

P.S.   speaking of things automatic....it would be cool to model the N1K's automatic comabt flaps.

[This message has been edited by J_A_B (edited 09-21-2000).]

Offline By-Tor

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2000, 11:40:00 PM »
 Yes Yeager!
Yes F6F!
Yes Pacific arena!
Oh man I could replay Midway or Corral sea or Pearl or...Rabaul...Hell I'll even fly IJN.
 AH Rocks!!
 Imagine this hobby in 2 yrs-5....10!!!!!

By-Tor

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2000, 06:12:00 AM »
Camo/Snef - OK you two, quit rubbing my nose in it .

JAB - unless they have been modified since WW2 (I mean those that I actually saw doing it) F4F, F6F, F4U and TBF(M) had hydrolically controlled folding wings operated by a pilot. Only F4U folded them up (as far as I recall) - the rest of them were twisting and folding wings back along the fuselage.

Very cool to look at the whole thing happening too .

------------------
lynx
13 Sqn RAF

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2000, 03:13:00 PM »
Lift?, button?, ain't that QUAKE  

why not some battle cruisers or torpedoboats
could be nice targets too

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2000, 03:32:00 PM »
I would LOVE a player controled Takao class heavy cruiser.

Here is the site from which the image is linked:

http://www.skypoint.com/members/jbp/takao_c.htm

The Takao class of Japanese heavy cruisers were genuinely aggressive ships, being fast, heavily armed with both guns and torpedoes, and well protected, and they saw much action in the Pacific War.

Here is a book with LOTS of detailed drawings of the Takao:

http://www.batsford.com/books/sbn/7628%200

This is the best Heavy Cruiser class of the war, from any nation.

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Nath-BDP

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2000, 07:28:00 PM »
Too bad it was commanded by people that didn't have the brains to use them effectevly.

Offline Betown

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.ecomm-net.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2000, 02:06:00 AM »
Uber Ship,
Think this is a really great idea. But player controled CV's? Perk system? How would that work? The best pilot or the pilot who shot down the most people gets control of the CV? Guys this really is not an option. The guy who shoots down the most pilots is going to be a great pilot. But how do we know that he's not some 5 year old siting at a computer in Germany? He would have no idea what the basics of carrier movement was. It could make life very difficult for the rest of us. A 5 year old bombing about in the MA with 1000 tones of CV under his call sign.
"Look Ma! It's a light house! Lets go and see if we can ram it!"
Bye Bye CV.
If they are going to use a perk system then I sugest that we come up with a better idea.
BT

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2000, 01:04:00 PM »
Nath-BDP,
Doesn't that Takao just scream "Surface Raider"?

Ah well...

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Hamish

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2000, 02:20:00 PM »
First of all: Yeager, that Idea Rocks, I would love to fire up that Hellcat's engine in the hangar, taxi out onto the elevator, it starts to rise up, you see the sunrise over the water as the elevator reaches the flight deck. You follow the Flight Deck Crew into position, He gives you the Thumbs up so "click" and you here the whirring of the hydraulics unfolding the wings. they Lock into position and your ready for the launch signal. Man That would RULE!

Now, I'll add a bit more to the "wild Speculation" on the Player controlled CV:

Couldn't it be like this:
 Pilot "A" goes to "Port" and selects a CV. Has "X" number of "Pilots" "Join" him. He steams out of port. Only the Pilots that "Joined" Pilot "A" can fly from his carrier. Anyone may land/re-arm/refuel, re-launch, but only those that originally joined pilot "A" when he left port may start at the CV.
      As an Option: Pilot "A" may "abandon ship by flying an aircraft from his carrier. Of course, at this point, the CV sinks.

Hamish!