Author Topic: Sound card for Win7/64bit  (Read 547 times)

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Sound card for Win7/64bit
« on: February 10, 2010, 12:15:50 AM »
I've heard of a lot of horror stories about people trying to find drivers/sound cards that work properly within Win7/64 bit.

Can anyone recommend a card?
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Re: Sound card for Win7/64bit
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 07:14:17 AM »
Well Win 7 update found the drivers for my SB Audigy 4 with no problems.

Seems to have good sound but I havn't used the Win 7 side much.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 07:28:33 AM »
My Xtreme Fatality Pro Series works wonderfuly in Windows 7 64 bit... got updated drivers from Creative Website when I went dual-boot..and again when Windows 7 went open to public to buy retail copy.....
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline denniswilha

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 10:27:34 AM »
Creative Sound Blaster X-fi gamer extreme, works great, no problems at all.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 12:52:59 PM »
i have the sb x-fi sc too, no problems at all.  didnt need the cd windows automatically picked up the right drivers .  sound is way better than with windows xp

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 01:34:37 PM »
Using an Audiology 2 ZS in Win 7 64 bit with no problems.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 12:48:06 AM »
My Xtreme Fatality Pro Series works wonderfuly in Windows 7 64 bit...

How much ram do you have in your box? I'm reading that many folks with more than 2 gig of ram are having problems with this card when running Win7/64bit.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 11:35:23 AM »
How much ram do you have in your box? I'm reading that many folks with more than 2 gig of ram are having problems with this card when running Win7/64bit.

I am using (4) 1 Gig sticks of Corsair XMS2 PC6400 800 mhz  DDR2  in dual channel mode

installed on an ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe MB,  with  AMD Athlon 6400 X2  3.2 ghz  dualcore AM2 CPU

my ASUS Ati EAH3870 videocard has the HD Audio disabled ( I disable it in the control panel )

I had problems when I had it enabled on my WinXP OS along with my X-fi soundcard, so I set Windows 7 64 bit OS up the same way I had it set up in Windows XP...

edit: what all features / extras are you running/let load up when you first boot up? if you do the default setup ( recommended setup ) verses Custom setup..you are letting a whole bunch of un-needed things install, like auto-update, etc....  Creative Auro-Update Website & stuff.......

in the Creative forums ( I got some bookmarks saved on this stuff ), you can do a search and their is like 8 to 15 different processes that could be running that is all bloat stuff.....

hope this helps.....
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 11:39:22 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 08:22:57 AM »
After having some lock-up probs with Win7 64 bit I scanned the forum for a good soundcard and got recommended the 'HT Omega Striker 7.1'. I have still rare lock-ups but I don't think it's soundcard related (coming from onboard sound). The 64 bit drivers seem solid - infact a new version has been out just now. The card itself has Optical connectivity as well as SPIFD so I am very happy being able to hook up my old Logitech soundsystem as well as my old XBox 360 surround headset!  :rock

Real men fly Radial!