Author Topic: I don't know what i did wrong???  (Read 3147 times)

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: I don't know what i did wrong???
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2010, 10:09:23 AM »
Look, we have no info.  How do we draw any conclusion except that what he said was possibly true.  But the persona non grata, that's his fault.  So, I guess we won't know until he's back. 

-Penguin

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2010, 10:39:46 AM »
Look, we have no info.  How do we draw any conclusion except that what he said was possibly true.  But the persona non grata, that's his fault.  So, I guess we won't know until he's back. 

-Penguin

you have no info.

i have experience.

i know. it sounds silly, but experience counts for a lot.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2010, 11:56:37 AM »
Sure, but we still don't know much about what happened, experience is only a tool to use the knowledge presented accurately and in a useful system.  The number could have been 10, even 20 kids all at once on full auto with BB's powered by green gas. 

For the smaller one, at 180 rpm (pretty low, only three shots per second)x10= 1,800 rpm, that's more than three M-16's firing up there.  We don't know, anything except a reported kill, so what can we say about the situation?

-Penguin

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2010, 12:04:57 PM »
lego, find them, and step on their BB guns
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2010, 12:25:22 PM »
Post removed by poster, it was just too evil.

-Penguin
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 01:50:46 PM by Penguin »

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2010, 12:27:26 PM »
lego, find them, and step on their BB guns
Ummm...Tupac, he's been banned. The rest of the diatribe has been whether it's possible to hit an R/C plane (electric powered according to the OP) with a bb gun.

Cap1...barring Penguins uber full auto gas powered bb gun (remember the carnival game with the thompson bb gun you had to shoot the red star off the paper with?)...an off the shelf crossman pump action will fire a .177 cal pellet at 300fps...a couple of companies make pump guns that fire a pellet at 600+ fps..."target match" can reach 1000+ fps...trajectory on a bb/pellet gun that fires at 300 fps is flatter than a .56 cal paintball gun at the same speed...so it would be easier to get a shot 200 feet away on a moving target with a bb/pellet gun than with a paintball gun.

Do the math fellas...figure .177 cal projectile weighing approximately 8 grains, traveling at 300 fps on a target moving approximately 30 mph (?) 200 feet away...would the projectile have enough energy to penetrate and/or damage the r/c plane?

Having done it before, I say yes but I'll let you guys figure it out.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2010, 12:34:11 PM »
Wrong!  I have an uber full auto electric BB gun.  :neener:

And nobody notices my ubertastic revenge planes?  Come on, they're awesome!

Gimme the numbers in metric, please, imperial is just too complicated (base 3, 12, 1,760, 5,280).

-Penguin

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2010, 12:42:30 PM »
oh, well then id say no.

i just dont see anyone hitting that plane at 200+ feet, unless you are that guy from the history channel that shoots aspirins with a .22

i fly RC, and if he is cruisin along he is probably doing 30-50 MPH depending on wind, even though thats a brushless it would be VERY diffivult to hit. Not to mention that most places where it would be hit would require multiple hits for damage
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2010, 01:40:28 PM »
Sure, but we still don't know much about what happened, experience is only a tool to use the knowledge presented accurately and in a useful system.  The number could have been 10, even 20 kids all at once on full auto with BB's powered by green gas. 

For the smaller one, at 180 rpm (pretty low, only three shots per second)x10= 1,800 rpm, that's more than three M-16's firing up there.  We don't know, anything except a reported kill, so what can we say about the situation?

-Penguin

c'mon dude. do you REALLY think this happened this way?

you're not representing yourself here nearly as well as you are/were in the global warming thread.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2010, 01:42:43 PM »
Better yet, fill the plane with ex... not in this decade

Get a helicopter, and put a BB gun on it, or if a plane has landing gear, fill a balloon with bleach and drop it on their sorry heads! highly illegal, careless, and stupid.

Or... Grab a cherry bomb/M80, super glue, a small balloon, a sink, some copper wire (50' will do), a large D-Battery, vaseline, and a freezer. dee above comment/

1.) Cover the M80 with the vaseline, and make sure that the layer is thick (1/2" to 3/4")

2.) Fill the balloon with water

3.) Put the vaseline covered M80 in the balloon so that the fuse sticks out

4.) Super-glue the wire to the M-80's fuse

5.) Carefully put the cocktail in the freezer until it's rock hard

6.) Take some more wire, and tie it to the length of wire that you have already put on, and close the plane's nose or tail gear around it

7.) Step outside

8.) Make sure that the wire forms a horeshoe equal on both ends

9.) Tape one end to the negative side of the battery

10.) Fly the plane to altitude, and aquire your target

11.) Touch the posititve end of the battery to the other side of the cord

12.) Wait for ignition

13.) Drop the bomb and enjoy!

The M80 will be lit, and dropped with the fuse burning, when it explodes, ice will fly out and terrify the target. (Note: Lethality experiments haven't been done, so I wouldn't advise this unless it's you or them)

Or a simpler method

You will need: A flop-top party favor bag, dry ice, 2' of any type of string, a sink, a bottle with a cap, and that plane

1.) Put the dry ice in the bag

2.) Fill the bottle with warm water,

3.) Screw on the cap so that it holds the bag above the water level

4.) Tie the string below the cap of the bottle

5.) Tie the string loosely around one wing of the plane

6.) Fly to altitude

7.) Aquire target

8.) Roll plane to mix the bag's contents and the water

9.) Roll harder to drop the bottle off

10.) Beat it!

This will not kill them, but dang, is it loud.  Remember, nobody is making you do this, check with the local laws of your area first.

-Penguin

dude........you would do better to remove all that you've typed above.

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2010, 01:45:14 PM »
Ummm...Tupac, he's been banned. The rest of the diatribe has been whether it's possible to hit an R/C plane (electric powered according to the OP) with a bb gun.

Cap1...barring Penguins uber full auto gas powered bb gun (remember the carnival game with the thompson bb gun you had to shoot the red star off the paper with?)...an off the shelf crossman pump action will fire a .177 cal pellet at 300fps...a couple of companies make pump guns that fire a pellet at 600+ fps..."target match" can reach 1000+ fps...trajectory on a bb/pellet gun that fires at 300 fps is flatter than a .56 cal paintball gun at the same speed...so it would be easier to get a shot 200 feet away on a moving target with a bb/pellet gun than with a paintball gun.

Do the math fellas...figure .177 cal projectile weighing approximately 8 grains, traveling at 300 fps on a target moving approximately 30 mph (?) 200 feet away...would the projectile have enough energy to penetrate and/or damage the r/c plane?

Having done it before, I say yes but I'll let you guys figure it out.

it would have plenty of energy to penetrate. a bb probably wouldn't hit anything inside that could cripple the plane though.

these things are hard to hit. when we did it to the t34, it took 3 different guys trying to get it.....and then the paintball penetrated the covering, and hit the elevator linkage, breaking it.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2010, 02:09:30 PM »
Post removed by poster, it was just too evil.

-Penguin

There, I fixed it.

Oh man, you're right.  I don't have my game-face on.  This'll only take a moment.  Alrighty, here we go.

If you had say, three kids, all armed with uber BB guns, and at close range, you could do it.  The tough part about this is that I don't have any data to back up my claims.  It's just not worth the effort to interrogate the little critter about it. 

So CAP, can you give me some parameters for the debate?  I'm really lost right now.  If I could only find out things like range and bullet weight.  I'll take a guess:

3 kids, armed with uber BB guns.  Range: 15 meters
                                              Load: .2 gram BB's
                                              ROF: 180 rpm
                                              MPS: 180 mps

The bullet would traverse 15 mps in .0833333333333... seconds.  That's short enought to aim just a bit ahead to blast the sucker out of the sky.  Now this is based on the assumption of them using some pretty powerful BB guns.  But I could be wrong, until we know what those kids were using, there's an infinite number of possibillities for the time it would take for the BB to reach the target and how many BB's would need to be fired. (all real numbers > 0).

So I've just shown that it can be done, it just requires some good guns, friends, and a little bit of luck.  That doesn't mean that it was done however.  So herein lies the problem, we don't know how far the truth stretches into legoman's claims.  Therefore, we can't draw any conclusions.

-Penguin

(How do you like my presentation now?)

-Penguin

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2010, 02:24:57 PM »
Ok so we've got two different things to look at, what legoman said happened, and the hypothetical of hitting an an r/c at all.

First, we obviously can't get any more info from our banished friend so we have to rely on one poorly structured sentence to draw our info.  I don't fly r/c planes, but would imagine you need space.  What is he doing so close to trees, power lines, houses, and what is this neighborhood?  Is he just trying to fly this thing down suburb streets?  To me there are too many variables to even draw the conclusion the plane was in flight when shot.  Maybe it was hit on the ground and he simply attributed pilot error to that? 

But if we give him the benefit of the doubt that it was shot in flight, we have to be realistic, it was likely no more than 3 kids.  If any of them have expensive air rifles it would be doubtful all three do, two at the most, but more than likely just one rich kids toy and two smaller weaker guns.  How much practice at moving targets do they really have? Birds, sure but Its unlikely they've been knocking hundreds of birds out of the sky, people notice that and parents usually get involved.  This is all hypothetical and you have to play the odds and make best guesses here.  My point with all that is although its possible, in this situation it is highly improbable that some kids shot his r/c out of the sky.

Final question is how possible it is.  Could 30 kids armed with high velocity automatic air rifles shoot an r/c plane going 30 mph? Sure, eventually, but that wasn't the case here.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2010, 02:33:10 PM »
Ok so we've got two different things to look at, what legoman said happened, and the hypothetical of hitting an an r/c at all.

First, we obviously can't get any more info from our banished friend so we have to rely on one poorly structured sentence to draw our info.  I don't fly r/c planes, but would imagine you need space.  What is he doing so close to trees, power lines, houses, and what is this neighborhood?  Is he just trying to fly this thing down suburb streets?  To me there are too many variables to even draw the conclusion the plane was in flight when shot.  Maybe it was hit on the ground and he simply attributed pilot error to that? 

But if we give him the benefit of the doubt that it was shot in flight, we have to be realistic, it was likely no more than 3 kids.  If any of them have expensive air rifles it would be doubtful all three do, two at the most, but more than likely just one rich kids toy and two smaller weaker guns.  How much practice at moving targets do they really have? Birds, sure but Its unlikely they've been knocking hundreds of birds out of the sky, people notice that and parents usually get involved.  This is all hypothetical and you have to play the odds and make best guesses here.  My point with all that is although its possible, in this situation it is highly improbable that some kids shot his r/c out of the sky.

Final question is how possible it is.  Could 30 kids armed with high velocity automatic air rifles shoot an r/c plane going 30 mph? Sure, eventually, but that wasn't the case here.

imagine all the collateral damage from whatever else they hit.

the dude wasn't flying.

if he really can fly at all, i wanna see video when his banishment is over.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2010, 03:11:51 PM »
Very true...especially kids from legoman's neighborhood...from what I understood he was home schooled and lived not in a suburban area but an urban area...mid city maybe?

They really wouldn't need "high velocity" or automatic air rifles...with a velocity of 91.44 meters/second...and a projectile weighing 518.39128 milligrams...with a rifled barrel...and the target traveling at a level speed of 13.4112 meters/second approximately 60 meters away...it's not that difficult, especially if the target is coming toward you...

Whether or not the projectile would cause enough damage to disable the target with a single shot is a whole different story...just judging from what the OP described about all the previous damage, I'm surprised the thing got off the ground...sounds like a servo was going bad.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett