Author Topic: Is their RAM in the CPU?  (Read 939 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Is their RAM in the CPU?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 01:48:39 PM »
The only difference is HDMI has audio, which is rarely used in Home Theater. 
Audio is rarely used in Home Theater?  :headscratch: So I have speakers hooked up for no reason?  :headscratch:  I think we quit watching silent movies back in the late 1930s.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 07:02:29 PM »
HDMI and DVI transfer the exact same information... with the exception of audio, which DVI won't handle.  Oh yeah.. and the connector is different.

I spent $40 at monoprice.com a few months ago and got two 6 foot HDMI to HDMI cables, two 6 foot DVI to HDMI cables, a charging base for my WII controllers, a component cable for my WII, and three LCD screen cleaning kits.

My HD TV only has one HDMI input.. but it has two DVI inputs, two component inputs, one VGA input, and one composite input (all with their own separate audio inputs).  I use one of the DVI adapter cables for my blueray player to use one of the TV's DVI inputs.  It works great!

I also recently obtained a sweet computer monitor (24" HP Hdmi in one of those $8 random grab bag deals).. but my video card doesn't have an HDMI output... luckily that extra DVI adapter cable worked perfect for that as well!

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 07:04:46 PM »
HDMI and DVI transfer the exact same information... with the exception of audio, which DVI won't handle.  Oh yeah.. and the connector is different.

I spent $40 at monoprice.com a few months ago and got two 6 foot HDMI to HDMI cables, two 6 foot DVI to HDMI cables, a charging base for my WII controllers, a component cable for my WII, and three LCD screen cleaning kits.

My HD TV only has one HDMI input.. but it has two DVI inputs, two component inputs, one VGA input, and one composite input (all with their own separate audio inputs).  I use one of the DVI adapter cables for my blueray player to use one of the TV's DVI inputs.  It works great!

I also recently obtained a sweet computer monitor (24" HP Hdmi in one of those $8 random grab bag deals).. but my video card doesn't have an HDMI output... luckily that extra DVI adapter cable worked perfect for that as well!

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 10:29:43 AM »
Audio is rarely used in Home Theater?  :headscratch: So I have speakers hooked up for no reason?  :headscratch:  I think we quit watching silent movies back in the late 1930s.

What he means is "Audio is rarely played by the wide screen TV itself in a home theatre setting".  (Audio is usually sent to a different device, like a 5/1 reciever, etc., so it's of little importance whether the cable carrying video information can or cannot carry audio, too.)

<S>
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 10:38:39 AM by Ghastly »
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue