Author Topic: Perking Spit 16  (Read 10498 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Perking Spit 16
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 10:02:54 PM »
Apparently he never flew 109s!  :D
I've never heard of a Spitfire pilot trying the 109 and thinking it was great, but I have heard of 109 pilots trying the Spitfire and thinking it was great.

The thing Spitfire pilots can't seem to get past is the 109's cramped cockpit and the difficulty with seeing out of the 109's cockpit.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 10:20:51 PM »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 10:29:12 PM »
I've never heard of a Spitfire pilot trying the 109 and thinking it was great, but I have heard of 109 pilots trying the Spitfire and thinking it was great.
I've seen books where 109 pilots called Spits something on the order of "woman planes"...so easy a child could fly them. Of course they probably secretly envied some of the characteristics though.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 10:32:59 PM »

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 10:54:10 PM »
Well why perk it I fly the spit9 allot and I can shoot down a spit16 in a turn fight easily.Besides its speed and pretty good maneuverability that's it.
My Email is ACalex88@gmail.com if you want to contact me

"I shall fear no evil, for I am 80,000 feet and climbing"

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 10:57:42 PM »
When I was asked by Goring what I needed to win the Battle, I said I wanted Spitfires for my squadron.

Nuff said.
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 11:02:21 PM »
I've seen books where 109 pilots called Spits something on the order of "woman planes"...so easy a child could fly them. Of course they probably secretly envied some of the characteristics though.

I heard a spit pilot say, "any idiot can fly a spit".  Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e-Ra0dH-Lg

As far as perk the spit 16,  really do not see what the fuse is.  They have a weak ness and that is who is flying it and how they fly it.  Important thing to remeber is never get into a turn fight with them unless you are in a AC that is equal to it. 

Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 11:11:10 PM »
most people that can fly the spit16 fly it as if it was a 109.  if you engage when they have more e, they always try rope you, so get a little more e and clip their wings. 

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 11:12:59 PM »
Spit 16 is the dweebiest plane in the game and needs to be perked badly. This plane is way to manuverable, can climb like nothing, and obviously can never stall out. Spit 16 needs to be perked double the amount of the spit 14. I'm really not to sure why the 14 is perked, even though it can't even manuver as good as the 16.(Anyone who responds to this and flys spit 16, learn something else to fly.)

The spit 16 is to slow to be perked. Stay away from the center of furballs and out of base ack and you will see alot less of them. One trick that helps...don't let them get behind you...Good Luck.

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 11:44:50 PM »
Wrong... Spit16 is faster than most planes in the game, and matches most common late-war monsters. I've posted the AH comparison charts before. You can compare it yourself. http://www.gonzoville.com/ahcharts/ 

It's equal to 90% of the late war monsters you run across all the time, including P-38s, F4us, Ki84s, etc. Even when it's slower than a plane (such as the P-51D) it can often chase them down even in prolonged tail chases (I've been on both ends, chased down ponies and been chased down in them, many times) because it's acceleration is astronomical in this game.

The plane is modeled as a UFO with no vice, other than short range.

Most folks that cry "it's slow!" never bother looking at the real stats. It almost makes 350mph on the deck. Without wep it's doing over 3500fpm climb above 10k alt (outclimbs every prop in the game by a mile, except 2 109 models and 2 spit models, which modestly match it). There's no doubt it's 10x easier to get kills in a spit16 or spit8 (FYI, only 5mph slower than the spit16!) than in most other planes. Pretending it's "only the pilot" is just ignoring facts.

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 11:54:53 PM »
Wrong... Spit16 is faster than most planes in the game, and matches most common late-war monsters. I've posted the AH comparison charts before. You can compare it yourself. http://www.gonzoville.com/ahcharts/ 

It's equal to 90% of the late war monsters you run across all the time, including P-38s, F4us, Ki84s, etc. Even when it's slower than a plane (such as the P-51D) it can often chase them down even in prolonged tail chases (I've been on both ends, chased down ponies and been chased down in them, many times) because it's acceleration is astronomical in this game.

The plane is modeled as a UFO with no vice, other than short range.

Most folks that cry "it's slow!" never bother looking at the real stats. It almost makes 350mph on the deck. Without wep it's doing over 3500fpm climb above 10k alt (outclimbs every prop in the game by a mile, except 2 109 models and 2 spit models, which modestly match it). There's no doubt it's 10x easier to get kills in a spit16 or spit8 (FYI, only 5mph slower than the spit16!) than in most other planes. Pretending it's "only the pilot" is just ignoring facts.

BUT, the majority of pilots who fly the spit are noobs. HOWEVER there are a few like myself and Bruv119 and Kazaa etc etc who can OWN in spitfires. While it is not only the pilots it does not just apply to the Spit. It applies to P-51s due to their speed and F4U's due to their acceleration and turn (in comparison to other US fighters) etc etc.

People tend to say that Spits are just planes for those who have no skill. I say they are a species of aircraft that are more beautiful and the most wonderful to fly than any other aircraft in AH2 and the real world.

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 11:57:48 PM »
A button-pushing mouse (far lower than "newbies") can kill millions if his weapon is a nuke with a big red button.

By that I mean it doesn't matter if they're newbs or not, the spitfire is by far the easiest plane to get kills in, and in fact allows newbs to get kills they otherwise would not "earn" (I use the term loosely).

More pilots learn bad habits in spits than any others. Spits can do moves other planes can't dream of in this game. Also, spits shoe-horn the lesser pilots into flying nothing BUT spits, since (as you say) they're newbs and only some of them want to actually learn anything. So they keep flying the one plane they can kill with, or they get no gratification (read: no kills makes Jack a dull boy).

P.S. I think they're nice in the real world. I also think Aces High has it wrong (as with a number of planes) and the spit has no vices whatsoever in-game. I count it with the P-51s, P-39s F4us, Ki-84s, Ki-61s, that all have major issues (IMO) with their current flight model.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 11:59:52 PM by Krusty »

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 12:24:56 AM »
I have experience in all spitfires and I have to say that the XVI is actually one of the worst. While it has a nice roll and good acceleration, the Spit 8 outclasses it in both Turn and if you know custom fuel burn tactics Roll. Its also quite fun to fly.

I like 38s and 109s and an occasional Pony and F4 run does not do any harm. But I would say the Spit just outclasses almost any plane in terms of usefulness, it can do anything. Hell I have been known to grab a spixteen with rockets and bomb just to kill a few panzers   :D (gotta love the rearm pad)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 12:37:24 AM »
perk the 16  ha!  

The spit 8 and 9 are the best in the series IMO.    

A good stick in the 16 and yes it is a wonderful ride but those are extremely rare.  Another fact is that many planes can easily out run a spit 16 and they do this all the time.  see P51, 190's,  109k4, la7 are all faster.

Until these spits get uprated boost / 150 octane fuel then they are nothing to worry about.

Man up and wish for something that doesn't make up for the lack of your own personal skill.  (i don't fly 16's either   :P)
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 01:10:47 AM »

The spit 8 and 9 are the best in the series IMO.    

This.  When I get icon on a spit and it's an 8 I pucker up a little bit.  If we perk the 16 all those pilots will just go to the 8.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH