Author Topic: Perking Spit 16  (Read 11764 times)

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
Re: Perking Spit 16
« Reply #150 on: March 02, 2010, 11:05:21 AM »
I shall repeat

Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF
http://dywizjon308.servegame.org

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept my faith"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #151 on: March 02, 2010, 12:05:25 PM »
and still got chased down by a SPIT V and shot down...

Unless the Spitfire V had an overwhelming energy/altitude advantage over you, there is no way one could have caught you in a Spitfire Mk XIV unless you screwed the pooch and seriously messed up.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 12:06:57 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #152 on: March 02, 2010, 03:08:20 PM »
I see people hating on spits all the time.

But In fact they are not what gets me worried. I actually like seing a spit because I can outfly and outturn him in MY spit.

I get more worried by Typhoons and 190s. Picktard planes which just run. THAT is what I hate.
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline THRASH99

• Copper Member
« Reply #153 on: March 02, 2010, 05:31:41 PM »
First off, 190s and typhoons can't turn, climb, and can stall, unlike spit 16, they don't match at all. Obviously you like seeing spits because your a spit tard and can't fily something worth fighting in, something actually challenging, and has to fly what other people fly just to think your good. That's what your problem is

Jokers Jokers
"CAN'T TALK NOW.....GOTTA SHOOT!" - Dan Zoernig
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - 56th FG

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #154 on: March 02, 2010, 06:34:52 PM »
First off, 190s and typhoons can't turn, climb, and can stall, unlike spit 16, they don't match at all. Obviously you like seeing spits because your a spit tard and can't fily something worth fighting in, something actually challenging, and has to fly what other people fly just to think your good. That's what your problem is

Most of those that laughed at you in this thread (including me) don't fly Spitfires nor, unlike you, afraid of them that we demand they be perked.

Your comment, "Obviously you like seeing spits because your a spit tard and can't fily (sic) something worth fighting in, something actually challenging, and has to fly what other people fly just to think your good. That's what your problem is" is especially funny considering that the two fighters you have the most kills in are the La-7 and P-51D.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #155 on: March 02, 2010, 07:03:27 PM »
If you want to show how good you are, try something that can't bug out at will and yet doesn't have the energy building strength of a Spitfire.  Try spending a tour in something like the Bf109G-6, P-38G, F4F-4, Bf110G-2 (air-to-air only), Mosquito Mk VI (air-to-air only) or Ki-61-I-Tei.

Don't even begin to think you are in a morally superior position to rag on people when you use the La-7 and P-51D as your mounts of choice.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #156 on: March 02, 2010, 11:37:03 PM »

this 38G tard, likes fighting Spit 16s and can't see any reason to perk em.  Then again I like trying my luck against most anything since I don't really die and planes are free.  And yes anyone who gets most of his kills in an LA or 51D, really can't complain.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Viperius

• Silver Member
« Reply #157 on: March 03, 2010, 03:39:58 AM »
I still want to see this mysterious non stalling spit 16 everyone is talking about  :lol

Offline Boozeman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #158 on: March 03, 2010, 07:29:15 AM »
I still want to see this mysterious non stalling spit 16 everyone is talking about  :lol

Here you go:

Spit16

Haven't flown the Spit16 for ages. Just hopped in, and had no problem to ride the (very gentle and very low) "stall" limit. Piece of cake, and vastly easier than with the other planes I use to fly. I quite certain some regular spit 16 drivers can extract even more out of it. 

109G2

Here the same drill in a 109G2. Same approach, ride the stall as aggressively as possible. Much more difficult, the plane departs much quicker and more violently. Recovery is much trickier. I'm no expert to the 109 either, but I'm still may more experienced in it than in the spit. Compared to this, the spit is like on training wheels.

Can the Spit16 be stalled? Yes, but you have to fight it into the stall. Most other planes you have to fight not to stall them. That's the difference.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #159 on: March 03, 2010, 08:03:01 AM »
By "fight it into the stall" you mean "pull too far back on the stick" just like in any other aircraft.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #160 on: March 03, 2010, 08:03:37 AM »

I've gone from spending most of my time in a 190-d to now spending most of my time in a Spit VIII or Spit IX. I experiment around to learn and for fun. I prefer both those versions of Spit, in the pure dogfight, to the XVI. However, neither of those ac provide me the potential for rapid entry and exit the D-9 offered. Since you fly the 51 and La-7, you should appreciate that.

Here, we doubtless get to the source of your beef: you can't turnfight your 51 (even with flaps) or your LA against Spits especially well, right? Same is true for the D-9. I asked the question in annother thread, for all the old hands to answer: at a low alt Co-E merge with equivalent pilots, how often will  a D-9 win against a Spit XVI? Most of the old sticks will tell you that such a scenario doesn't look good for the D-9 pilot.

OTOH, which ac would you rather take into a high=speed diving pass on the low and slow?

You need to tailor your flying to the aircraft you're sitting in - not to the one you want to beat. That's why, when I fly the D-9, I come in with some smash, drop on the inevitably low and slow Spit, and try to force myself to pull up and clear - even if I miss. That way,  I can climb back up, reset my SA, and try again. That's my goal. However, since my main failing is an unwillingness to break off a target and since my gunnery is spotty, I'll often hang onto that Spit too long, burn my E off, and find myself in a grave tactical situation. Understand, though, that when I'm above a Spit in my D-9, pointed nose down at him, I can easily point my guns at him, no matter how much he turns, by means of the D-9s superior roll rate. The real trick is knowing when to quit, nose back up, and reacquire my alt advantage. I've never been especially afraid of low spits in the d-9... co-alt La's and 51's, otoh, are a serious problem.

Here's a question for you: are you aware that your La can outrun anything on the deck - i.e., that you can escape Spits virtually at will?
You probably already know that you're a much smaller and more damage resistant target, right?

Finally, I'd recommend you spend a bit of stick time in the Spit to learn what it looks like for Spit drivers. You can learn a lot that way - like, my case, how to fly a d-9 better. I'd contrast Thug's and Junky's (if I recall the latter correctly - I think it was Junky - he was hell to try to follow) d-9 style, as an example. Thug gets himself killed because he lets his speed drop, turns too much, and doesn't properly use his roll for evasive. Junky makes a truly elusive high-speed target in a d-9 because he keeps it fast and only uses enough barrel roll to instantaneously frustrate aim - rather than using big roll excursions that only would slow him down. See what it's like trying to fight La's and 51's from the seat of a slow and fragile Spit and you will learn to better exploit those aircraft's strengths.

I'm a grateful and humble student of this game - so put a cork in the orifice that wants to complain, take off the earplugs and blindfold, and you might accidentally learn something out there.  :D
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #161 on: March 03, 2010, 08:07:48 AM »

I'll put myself in a Ki-61 against whichever you choose.   Then I'll hop in an La7 and show you how 5% of the Arena can show it's true capabilities.  La7 is "easy mode" for me, because I had two excellent teachers.   Which is why I only up one when a base is being vultched.  
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Viperius

• Silver Member
« Reply #162 on: March 03, 2010, 01:18:08 PM »
Here you go:

Spit16

Haven't flown the Spit16 for ages. Just hopped in, and had no problem to ride the (very gentle and very low) "stall" limit. Piece of cake, and vastly easier than with the other planes I use to fly. I quite certain some regular spit 16 drivers can extract even more out of it.  

109G2

Here the same drill in a 109G2. Same approach, ride the stall as aggressively as possible. Much more difficult, the plane departs much quicker and more violently. Recovery is much trickier. I'm no expert to the 109 either, but I'm still may more experienced in it than in the spit. Compared to this, the spit is like on training wheels.

Can the Spit16 be stalled? Yes, but you have to fight it into the stall. Most other planes you have to fight not to stall them. That's the difference.

Hehe Thanks Boozeman but my comment wasn't ment serious, as a stick from a squad whose primary rides are the Spitfires I know quite well what they can and can't do, how to fight in them and how to beat them  ;)
I just find it funny that people need to resort to perking a plane and make hilarious claims that it is unstallable etc just cause they aren't man enough to adapt and overcome, it's much easier to squeak, cry and whine about a problem then to make an effort in solving it.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 01:32:52 PM by Viperius »

Offline Boozeman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #163 on: March 03, 2010, 03:07:47 PM »
Hehe Thanks Boozeman but my comment wasn't ment serious, as a stick from a squad whose primary rides are the Spitfires I know quite well what they can and can't do, how to fight in them and how to beat them  ;)
I just find it funny that people need to resort to perking a plane and make hilarious claims that it is unstallable etc just cause they aren't man enough to adapt and overcome, it's much easier to squeak, cry and whine about a problem then to make an effort in solving it.

I seriously suggest to get out of that Spit for a week or so, and then seriously stick to a 205, 190A5, P-39 etc. or if you like it extreme, 190F8. Then go back to the Spitfire. I think after that those hilarois claims will look quite a bit less hilarious.  ;) 

Offline Viperius

• Silver Member
« Reply #164 on: March 03, 2010, 03:11:46 PM »
I seriously suggest to get out of that Spit for a week or so, and then seriously stick to a 205, 190A5, P-39 etc. or if you like it extreme, 190F8. Then go back to the Spitfire. I think after that those hilarois claims will look quite a bit less hilarious.  ;)  

Booze some of my most favorite rides are the 109 series and the P38, just cause I like to fly Spits doesnt mean I limit myself to them :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 03:18:27 PM by Viperius »