Author Topic: Perking Spit 16  (Read 10905 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Perking Spit 16
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2010, 01:34:47 AM »
I heard a spit pilot say, "any idiot can fly a spit".  Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e-Ra0dH-Lg

As far as perk the spit 16,  really do not see what the fuse is.  They have a weak ness and that is who is flying it and how they fly it.  Important thing to remeber is never get into a turn fight with them unless you are in a AC that is equal to it. 

You realize that all of those things are endorsements of the Spitfire.  You don't want a combat plane to be hard to use.  Why make your pilots fight their own plane and the enemy at the same time?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2010, 01:59:32 AM »
The spit 8 and 9 are the best in the series IMO.    

:aok

16's never scare me.

I am far more worried by an 8 or a 9 when I run across 'em.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Viperius

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2010, 02:10:06 AM »
The spit 8 and 9 are the best in the series IMO.

William Dunn (US fighter ace who flew Spitfires, P-51s, Hurricanes, and P-47s): "Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others - one that I'd rather have tied to the seat of my pants in any tactical situation - it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."

Eric Brown (RN test pilot and holder of the world record for number of types of aircraft flown): "I have flown both for many hours, and would choose the Spitfire [over the Mustang] if given a choice in a fight to the death."

Writer Jerry Scutts, quoting German pilots in his book JG 54: "The Jagflieger had to keep a wary eye out for enemy fighters, particularly Spitfires, a type JG 54's pilots had developed a particular aversion to...Pilot reflections do not, surprisingly enough, reflect over-much respect for the Mustang or Lightning, both of which the Germans reckoned their Fockes were equal to - unless they were met in substantial numbers."

Gordon Levitt, Israeli fighter pilot, comparing the Spitfire, Mustang, and Avia S-199 (Jumo-engined Bf 109), all of which the Israelis flew: "Despite the pros and cons, the Spitfire was everyone's first choice."

Karl Stein, Luftwaffe Fw 190 pilot (who served mainly on the Eastern front): "English and American aircraft appeared on the scene in those closing days of the European war. Spitfires were the most feared, then Mustangs..."

USAAF 31st FG War Diary (when transferring from Spitfires to P-51s): "Although pilots think that the P-51 is the best American fighter, they think the Spitfire VIII is the best fighter in the air."

USAAF pilot Charles McCorkle (who flew both in combat), reporting on a mock combat between a Spitfire and Mustang in 1944: "Now we could see which was the better aircraft...a Mustang and a Spit took off for a scheduled 'combat', flown by two top young flight commanders. When the fighters returned, the pilots had to agree that the Spitfire had won the joust. The Spit could easily outclimb, outaccelerate, and outmaneuver its opponent..."

So in other words HTC got the Spit's just right, it's not their fault that all your other rides are utter watermelon  ;) :lol You guys should be glad the Spit XIV is perked otherwise the Mustang crowd would be ragequitting rather fast  :rofl
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 02:14:22 AM by Viperius »

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2010, 02:36:06 AM »
I hate the spits mainly because I can't keep the things form stalling. Yes, believe me, the spit 16 does stall and always when I'm closest to the ground so it is the first thing I collide with. Most times I stall in the thing I am trying to barrel roll. I guess it is because I am used to being upside down doing 45mph in a hog the spit just will not do it.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."- H.L. Mencken

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2010, 03:07:50 AM »
In a 1vs1 Spixteens are quite handable if you have enough horsepower under your hood (e.g. K4 or alike). It's their sheer number in MA which turns me off. >90% of the Spits you see are 16s.

I would also like to have it perked - along with other late war monsters to freshen up MA but that's an old, old discussion long before EW and MW were introduced. Just a small fee so you have to work 'a little' for them...   :bolt:
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Viperius

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2010, 03:14:50 AM »
I would also like to have it perked - along with other late war monsters to freshen up MA but that's an old, old discussion long before EW and MW were introduced. Just a small fee so you have to work 'a little' for them...   :bolt:

Alrite but then I want 150 octane fuel for the VIII and IX along with different wing/tip configs  :aok Or give us a real late war Spit like the XXI  :lol

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2010, 03:35:03 AM »
Wrong... Spit16 is faster than most planes in the game, and matches most common late-war monsters. I've posted the AH comparison charts before. You can compare it yourself. http://www.gonzoville.com/ahcharts/ 

It's equal to 90% of the late war monsters you run across all the time, including P-38s, F4us, Ki84s, etc. Even when it's slower than a plane (such as the P-51D) it can often chase them down even in prolonged tail chases (I've been on both ends, chased down ponies and been chased down in them, many times) because it's acceleration is astronomical in this game.

The plane is modeled as a UFO with no vice, other than short range.

Most folks that cry "it's slow!" never bother looking at the real stats. It almost makes 350mph on the deck. Without wep it's doing over 3500fpm climb above 10k alt (outclimbs every prop in the game by a mile, except 2 109 models and 2 spit models, which modestly match it). There's no doubt it's 10x easier to get kills in a spit16 or spit8 (FYI, only 5mph slower than the spit16!) than in most other planes. Pretending it's "only the pilot" is just ignoring facts.

Yet, no one has been able to present any sort of evidence that it unbalances the game and needs to be perked.  I wonder why that is...?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2010, 03:48:45 AM »
Alrite but then I want 150 octane fuel for the VIII and IX along with different wing/tip configs  :aok Or give us a real late war Spit like the XXI  :lol
The Spitfire F.Mk IX never ran on 150 octane and I have never seen evidence that the Spitfire Mk VIII did either.  The Spitfire LF.Mk IXe, which we have in AH under the name "Spitfire Mk XVI", did run on 150 octane in some cases.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Viperius

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2010, 04:22:59 AM »
The Spitfire F.Mk IX never ran on 150 octane and I have never seen evidence that the Spitfire Mk VIII did either.  The Spitfire LF.Mk IXe, which we have in AH under the name "Spitfire Mk XVI", did run on 150 octane in some cases.
To be honest Karnak I couldn't care less  :cheers: but the fact is if you perk the 16 there would be no unperked late war Spit in the game.
So they would have to unperk the XIV but thats just wishful thinking, oh imagine the rivers of tears of all the runstangs and ho 'n run 190's that suddenly have nowhere to go  :lol

Addition for Karnak  ;)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 04:32:46 AM by Viperius »

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2010, 05:07:31 AM »
In a 1vs1 Spixteens are quite handable if you have enough horsepower under your hood (e.g. K4 or alike). It's their sheer number in MA which turns me off. >90% of the Spits you see are 16s.

I would also like to have it perked - along with other late war monsters to freshen up MA but that's an old, old discussion long before EW and MW were introduced. Just a small fee so you have to work 'a little' for them...   :bolt:

as we have pointed out the 8 and 9 are the better dogfighters (turning) you perk the 16 and what will the noob spit pilots fly?  they will choose the next best thing of course and that would be the 8 and the 9.   

don't hate the plane hate the player.   Infact Bruv119 should be perked!   :D
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Viperius

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2010, 05:10:11 AM »
Infact Bruv119 should be perked!   :D
:aok ;) :lol

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2010, 05:45:48 AM »
Spit 8's and 9's are the ones to watch for. Now those guys know how to fly, been around long enough to not want to be tagged with the dweeb plane moniker. So they fly the spit 8 and the 9. 

16's its just a matter of getting behind them once and watch them panic.
And considering they mostly have poor SA its not that hard to slip in on them.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2010, 06:50:53 AM »
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2010, 07:35:17 AM »
HTC needs to stop tarting about with WWI and geif us the Spitfire LF Mk XVIe with a bubble canopy and the option of 25lbs boost, clipped of course.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 07:39:34 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2010, 07:53:04 AM »
Wrong... Spit16 is faster than most planes in the game, and matches most common late-war monsters. I've posted the AH comparison charts before. You can compare it yourself. http://www.gonzoville.com/ahcharts/ 

It's equal to 90% of the late war monsters you run across all the time, including P-38s, F4us, Ki84s, etc. Even when it's slower than a plane (such as the P-51D) it can often chase them down even in prolonged tail chases (I've been on both ends, chased down ponies and been chased down in them, many times) because it's acceleration is astronomical in this game.

The plane is modeled as a UFO with no vice, other than short range.

Most folks that cry "it's slow!" never bother looking at the real stats. It almost makes 350mph on the deck. Without wep it's doing over 3500fpm climb above 10k alt (outclimbs every prop in the game by a mile, except 2 109 models and 2 spit models, which modestly match it). There's no doubt it's 10x easier to get kills in a spit16 or spit8 (FYI, only 5mph slower than the spit16!) than in most other planes. Pretending it's "only the pilot" is just ignoring facts.

LOL wrong OK...sure.. Compaired to most LW birds she is slow. Equal to 90% of late war birds???? OK, overall sure it is but in the speed department it is not.

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC