Author Topic: Perking Spit 16  (Read 11084 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Perking Spit 16
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2010, 05:46:58 PM »
Has it passed the previous record holder, the La-7?

ack-ack

I think this calls for a pie chart....  :noid

I can't belive I really did this:  :uhoh

I did a BBS search of all topics with "perk" in the title in General Discussions, Wishlist and Aircraft & Vehicles. Then I noted how many were asking for perking the La, the Spit or both. I did not count obviously non-serious OP's.

The result:

I think I need to get a life...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 05:49:28 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2010, 06:00:44 PM »
How do the "PERK THE N1K2" thread compare?  As I recall, those threads were just about as common as the "PERK THE LA-7!" threads before the "PERK THE Spitfire 16!" ones.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2010, 06:04:46 PM »
I can't belive I really did this:  :uhoh

I did a BBS search of all topics with "perk" in the title in General Discussions, Wishlist and Aircraft & Vehicles. Then I noted how many were asking for perking the La, the Spit or both. I did not count obviously non-serious OP's.

The result:

(Image removed from quote.)

I think I need to get a life...

What was the total amount of threads?
You might now know this one but how many of them were done by the same person asking the same thing over and over again?
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2010, 06:11:57 PM »
Perk pie charts.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2010, 06:12:07 PM »
How do the "PERK THE N1K2" thread compare?  As I recall, those threads were just about as common as the "PERK THE LA-7!" threads before the "PERK THE Spitfire 16!" ones.

ack-ack

What was the total amount of threads?
You might now know this one but how many of them were done by the same person asking the same thing over and over again?

I found surprisingly few threads at all: Only 19
But then, the method of simply searching for "perk" in topic title is far from being perfect. (And I'm convinced the search engine has some bugs, I had difficulties to find threads that I absolutely knew to exist before).

Also, countless perk requests are not made by genuine threads, but as single posts within other threads (And that's were you will encounter the same guys again and again). If you wanna find all these... good luck :D

(Regarding the N1k: I didn'T count them but it were less than La-7 and probably even less than Spit 16)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2010, 06:19:44 PM »
I found surprisingly few threads at all: Only 19
But then, the method of simply searching for "perk" in topic title is far from being perfect. (And I'm convinced the search engine has some bugs, I had difficulties to find threads that I absolutely knew to exist before).

I think a lot of threads were lost during the forum migration to the new servers a couple of years ago.

(Regarding the N1k: I didn'T count them but it were less than La-7 and probably even less than Spit 16)

I think most of the "PERK THE N1K2" threads weren't genuine threads and were more then likely singe posts in other threads like you described.  For a time about 7-8 years ago, it was usually "PERK ON OF THE BIG 4! (La-7/P-51D/N1K2/FW190-D9)

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2010, 06:29:46 PM »
 For a time about 7-8 years ago, it was usually "PERK ON OF THE BIG 4! (La-7/P-51D/N1K2/FW190-D9)

While I worked my way through 23+ pages of search results, it was fun to read some of that old stuff that just looks strange in hindsight: "The Spit-9 should be perked" (for the younger ones: Yes, the IX was once one of the dominating rides), or debates whether the upcoming Ki-84 should be a perk plane or not, along with all that "Get rid of perks! I'm a paying customer, I want to fly what I like!" stuff

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2010, 07:09:49 PM »
Spit VIII had Merlin 63,66,70 and the Spit IX had the Merlin 61 phased out early in 1943 in favour of the Merlin 63 and 63A
The is true, but what is relevant is what they have in AH.  In AH the Spitfire Mk IX is powered by a Merlin 61 and the Spitfire Mk VIII is powered by a Merlin 66.  Incidentally, the Spitfire Mk XVI is also powered by a Merlin 66 in AH, not the Merlin 266 it should have and is thus really a Spitfire LF.Mk IXe.

push the head up key and you will know why the Mossy is easy mode :aok
What about those who do not use that exploit?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2010, 07:26:44 PM »
How do the "PERK THE N1K2" thread compare?  As I recall, those threads were just about as common as the "PERK THE LA-7!" threads before the "PERK THE Spitfire 16!" ones.

ack-ack

Perk 'em all so that no one can fly any of 'em.

If I can't win, I'm taking my marbles and going home.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2010, 08:34:44 PM »
While I worked my way through 23+ pages of search results, it was fun to read some of that old stuff that just looks strange in hindsight: "The Spit-9 should be perked" (for the younger ones: Yes, the IX was once one of the dominating rides), or debates whether the upcoming Ki-84 should be a perk plane or not, along with all that "Get rid of perks! I'm a paying customer, I want to fly what I like!" stuff
god, i may just be 19 but i remember those days when i would fly the spitIX cuz i was noob... back when my dad flew this game daily and i just hopped on and off a few days out of the week...
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2010, 09:05:23 PM »
...Still waiting for someone to give sound criteria for perking.

I hope you aren't making the argument that a plane is only as good as its k/d ratio.  You and I both know that doesn't cut it. ;)

LOL I guess that means we better start perking the pilots instead!

My point is, folks will find something to whine about no matter what.  If HTC had called it a Spit LFIXe instead of an LFXVIe, the whines wouldn't be what they are.  Spit drivers tend to try and out turn everyone.  I like that.  They stick around and fight for the most part.  And because it's newer, less experienced sticks flying it, they find some success in it, which means they might continue to stick around and fight.  When the LA7 was the ride of choice for the newer guys trying to find success, all they did was run in, shoot and run out.  I'd much rather have a guy try and learn to use the plane then one who just goes fast with cannons.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2010, 12:06:11 AM »

My point is, folks will find something to whine about no matter what.  If HTC had called it a Spit LFIXe instead of an LFXVIe, the whines wouldn't be what they are.  Spit drivers tend to try and out turn everyone.  I like that.  They stick around and fight for the most part.  And because it's newer, less experienced sticks flying it, they find some success in it, which means they might continue to stick around and fight.  When the LA7 was the ride of choice for the newer guys trying to find success, all they did was run in, shoot and run out.  I'd much rather have a guy try and learn to use the plane then one who just goes fast with cannons.

well said,  I think its funny when they tell new pilots that the best planes are the pony's and 190's or the 109's.  I have been playing this game about 3 years now and before i played AW for a couple more.  I fly mostly the spit8, only reason is that it is a good turner and its fun to fly.  you can perk the spit16 if you want, but not like its gonna stop people from using the 4 or 5 perk points that it will be assigned.  Think about it, the people that fly the spit16  have lots of perkies to spend so it wont make a difference and the people that dont have the perkies are not really good in it anyway.  So what good will it do to perk it?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Warspawn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2010, 05:57:36 AM »
Interesting to note the K/D of the Spit XVI is 1.13 the same as the P38G.

The only reason it has that K/D is because every newb jumps into it and dies.  It's an amazing aircraft, much like the LA-7.  That plane has a similar K/D.

The spit XVI and LA-7 should both be perked, much like the C-hog is.  Or, take off the C-hog and spit XIV perks.

The 'spixteen' is virtually unbeatable in the hands of a good stick, and deadly with someone relative inexperienced in it.  As some have mentioned, this plane should be one new pilots graduate to, not a default monster they up when they first get in the arena.
Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things just don't seem the same
Actin' funny, but I don't know why

'Scuse me while I kiss the sky                 
                                                 --J. Hendrix

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2010, 07:08:25 AM »

My point is, folks will find something to whine about no matter what.  If HTC had called it a Spit LFIXe instead of an LFXVIe, the whines wouldn't be what they are.  Spit drivers tend to try and out turn everyone.  I like that.  They stick around and fight for the most part.  And because it's newer, less experienced sticks flying it, they find some success in it, which means they might continue to stick around and fight.  When the LA7 was the ride of choice for the newer guys trying to find success, all they did was run in, shoot and run out.  I'd much rather have a guy try and learn to use the plane then one who just goes fast with cannons.

I have to agree with you about what I'd rather see new pilots flying.  On the other hand, snailman says whines about perking the Spit IX used to be common.

I still have little doubt that the XVI is the best unperked fighter in the game by a significant margin.  It's faster than the C-Hog as soon as you get above sea level, rolls like a 190A, and climbs with the 109K-4.  Some of us forget that to beat a decent pilot in a XVI with a worse plane requires that your pilot skill be a magnitude greater.  A lot of the complaints come from those who are getting shot down by XVIs when their pilot skill is greater than the new-ish guy in the XVI, but not enough to overcome the aircraft performance advantage.

So with a plane like the XVI running around the arena, I can't see any justification for not experimenting with unperking the XIV and C-Hog.  I do understand that the C-Hog is the posterchild for perking, but that was when there was no XVI.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 07:09:59 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2010, 07:32:39 AM »
Before the Mk. XVI was introduced to Aces High 2  the La7 ruled the skies, it was a horrid time for everyone. What would you rather have, a crotch rocket that would extend every time you even had a sniff of a gun solution and turn back in for the HO shot every time when you got bored of chasing him, or the slower, more fragile Mk. XVI

At least the Mk. XVI can't run that far. :D

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."